Drag coefficient values

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 09:25 PM
Omnia Gloria Fugit
Default Re: Drag coefficient values

Turbulent flow is a killer. The abrupt almost 90 deg rear causes massive turbulent flow. Loss of boundry layer causes turbulent flow. If you look at a cross section of an airplane or a fish the first 1/3 is compression the rest 2/3 is low pressure. Low pressure area angle is critical as this is where most stall/turbulence will occur. The perfect shape for sub-sonic air flow is a fish shape with the thickest part no more than 30% of the length and that point is 1/3 back from the front.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Billyk
<snip> Improved aerodynamics can improve highway mileage ratings. Will Ford Motor Company do this for the Escape?
I don't know if Ford will or not Billy. What do you know?

Old 07-05-2007, 11:24 AM
N/A

Other than the wheels and the LRR tires, Ford has never done much econo-tweaking on the FEH. It pushes the same hole in the air as the regular one. A revised fascia and air dam, and maybe a foil in the back, would definitely help aerodynamics. But Ford has always left it "normal".

They fitted a normal key and made the engine start up normally, and included a big shift lever with a brake pedal interlock, even though those functions are by-wire and could be handled less expensively with buttons.

I think GPS is right that the 2" lower profile helps more than anything. Lowering the ground clearance would help even more. But hey, it's a SUV, right? Well, it's really a car-based crossover like a Forester or CR-V. But they don't want to alienate any buyers by making anything unfamiliar, hence all the familiar stuff and the mini-Explorer looks.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:57 AM
2008 Escape Hybrid Owner

An air dam can lower drag, but puts downward pressure on the vehicle that increases rolling resistance, So, it has to be carefully selected.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:16 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spud
I don't know if Ford will or not Billy. What do you know?
I know nothing more than most of the readers on this subject. I keep thinking back to the mid 80's when Ford introduced the Taurus and the jelly bean look with its improved aerodynamics. There is very little more I can offer on this subject so I will quit posting on it.

Old 07-25-2007, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by gpsman1
The 2008's are actually shorter ( ground to roof ) than the 2005-07's.
Taking 2" off the top as it were... would be an aerodynamic advantage.
And maybe not a small one.
-John
The 2008 version (2nd generation?) is 2.7 inches shorter (see file attachment) than the first generation (05-07 models). This may be the reason Ford claims the 2008 models are more aerodynamic. As previously discussed, additional improvements can be achieved with future design tweaks.

Attached Files
Old 07-25-2007, 02:24 PM

I was shocked to see an external antenna on my Escape. My last 2 fords had them intergrated into a window. Expedition, what a fuel saver this on is; and a Freestar. I'm sure it's not much drag, but one would think anything that simple to remove would help.

Old 07-26-2007, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by 08hybridok
I was shocked to see an external antenna on my Escape. My last 2 fords had them intergrated into a window. Expedition, what a fuel saver this on is; and a Freestar. I'm sure it's not much drag, but one would think anything that simple to remove would help.
Probably the extra expense involved in the windshield manufacture and the small difference makes it not worth it anyway. Ever replace one of those windshields? I imangine its nasty but have no experience myself.

They incorporate them into the windshield for a design/looks aspect.... not to save fuel economy.

Old 07-26-2007, 06:54 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

And windshield antenae are not quite as good.

Old 07-26-2007, 07:06 AM

Both mine were in the right rear quarter glass.

But yes, comparing to another ford next to mine, didntant stations seem to come in better w/a stick vs glass antenna.