Heated seats

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 01:07 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Heated seats

I don't think they heated seats are that bad. I have an '08 MMH. Unless it has something to do with the seat material, I'm not sure of the difference. I've used mine several times over the last few days. They got hot pretty quickly but I have had jeans and khakis on and have never thought that they got too hot.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:14 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Glad I did a search, I thought my new heated seats had problems. Guess that's just they way they are. Best analogy I can think of is putting on something out of the dryer, instant heat, but cools quickly, leaving you feel cool. The Freestar we traded for the 'Scape, had 2 settings, high & low, and got hot quickly, then I'd turn to low and it'd continue to stay warm. The 'Scape just gets hot, then seems to turn off. Cycling the switch doesn't seem to turn it back on either. Right now it's just cool out, 40ish at night/am. Maybe it's cycle faster when it's freezing out? Since I only drive about 5 miles, I don't have a chance to see if it will cycle back on or not. Just have to wait and see.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by WaltPA

That, and possibly having a separate rear traction motor, so that the AWD models have a little-to-nothing hit on their mpg when the rear wheels aren't needed to drive.
I shutter when I read this. The Toyota Highlander Hybrid's AWD design leaves something to be desired.
Read this link from the autochannel: http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...14/051904.html
I even had a Consumer Report Expert state in a post on their site "the electric motors on this vehicle can overheat".

Old 10-25-2007, 05:15 PM
HypoFueler

most seat heater systems are pretty crude on/off thermostat control with resistance wires/carbon fiber elements. Jeep Grand Cherokee had a 111,000 recall when at least 36 fires/injuries occured with these wire based systems.

Jeep went to a resistive film based system with little chance for arcing - more expensive but safer.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Billyk
I even had a Consumer Report Expert state in a post on their site "the electric motors on this vehicle can overheat".
Well, when Consumer Reports is at its very best, it is merely incompetent, I would put no value on their claim that the electric motors can overheat or anything else. I just have caught them, personally, at too many completely wrong statements for them to have any credibility left.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by mtberman
They only have one setting, "ON", and get butt-burning hot very fast. .
My 06 is the same way, it can be kinda funny to leave the heat on in the passenger seat & not tell an unsuspecting passenger about it & wait for their reaction............

~John

Old 10-26-2007, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by WaltPA
Well, when Consumer Reports is at its very best, it is merely incompetent, I would put no value on their claim that the electric motors can overheat or anything else. I just have caught them, personally, at too many completely wrong statements for them to have any credibility left.
Yea, I'll agree 100% with that statement. My parents use to subscribe to CR but finally cancelled their subscription for those exact reasons.......

~John

Old 10-29-2007, 05:50 AM
08 MMH 4WD

Well on my 08 MMH I have been using the seat heater daily as the morning temps have been in the mid 30's F when I leave for work. For me in my business slacks I don't think they get too hot. It seems that after maybe 5 minutes they do seem to cool down or not hold at the top most temp they get to (or I am just acclumated to them by then). Also by then the heater is working just fine, my tushy & lower back are nice & warm & I normally turn it off.

In a 94 XJS I had until earlier this year, it did have 2 position heater that stayed on, no cycling. Our 04 Pilot also has 2 position heaters.

Almost 2K miles in 1 2/3 months, so far so good.