ICE wont shut down

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 07:26 PM
Enthusiast
Default ICE wont shut down

Hello all,
Im a newbe to the hybrid world, I have had my 06 Escape for about 8 weeks now and I have been very pleased/impressed with it. I live in Michigan and Im in Florida on vac. Today going down to Clearwater Im sitting at a red light and the ICE came on for no reason??? and it has not shut off(down) sence? The rest of the way to the beach I tryed to get it to shut down with break tap, low gear, nuteral w/break tap nothing is working for me??? When I left the ICE shut down for 2 stops lights and then back to no shut downs for the whole ride back to springhill (about 50 miles) The rear AC seems to be running nonstop as well. Just to add I didnt have the AC on I was enjoying the nice weather here in Florida.
Im hoping that someone here can help me out with what may be wrong????

Thanks in advance
Todd
2006 Escape 4x4

Last edited by Todd G; 12-23-2011 at 07:31 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 12-23-2011, 09:19 PM
Default Re: ICE wont shut down

Originally Posted by Todd G
Hello all,
Im a newbe to the hybrid world, I have had my 06 Escape for about 8 weeks now and I have been very pleased/impressed with it. I live in Michigan and Im in Florida on vac. Today going down to Clearwater Im sitting at a red light and the ICE came on for no reason??? and it has not shut off(down) sence? The rest of the way to the beach I tryed to get it to shut down with break tap, low gear, nuteral w/break tap nothing is working for me??? When I left the ICE shut down for 2 stops lights and then back to no shut downs for the whole ride back to springhill (about 50 miles) The rear AC seems to be running nonstop as well. Just to add I didnt have the AC on I was enjoying the nice weather here in Florida.
Im hoping that someone here can help me out with what may be wrong????

Thanks in advance
2006 Escape 4x4
It sounds to me one of the cooling systems for the two electronic components has a problem. First, the battery has cooling fans and an Aux A/C that may not be working properly. Second, there is a Electronic Coolant Pump that cools the converter and eCVT motors. If they are not keeping things cool, you cannot go EV after they heat-up. Going 50 miles eliminates a battery recalibration issue, so I'd first check the coolant pump. It's easy to check the battery A/C by running the cabin A/C to see how it's cooling. If the Electronics Coolant Pump under the radiator is not making a sound with the key in the run position (do not start the engine), it may be it stopped working. The pump can be replaced, the A/C can be repaired and the fans are covered under the hybrid components warranty if you are still good.

GaryG

Old 01-02-2012, 03:25 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for your responce, sorry for taking so long to reply. I checked what I could, like I origanly said the ac was working(not sure if it working correctly but its working?) The coolant pump(the same pump used on my supercharged mustangs) was working I can see coolant comming back to the resovor. I did hear some kind of wining under the hood with key on? but it didnt seam to be comming from the pump? Im not sure on how to check the fans in the battery?
I didnt have any more problems with it in Florida after it cooled down over night. Im back home in Michigan and its cold here! I havent had any issues with the ICE not shutting down but I have been getting the over rev when Im comming to a stop. I will keep updating this as I learn/figure out more.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:14 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Keep this thread handy in case it turns out to be the battery cooling fan...

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...tml#post240210

Old 01-04-2012, 05:14 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Keep this thread handy in case it turns out to be the battery cooling fan...

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...tml#post240210