Let's talk tires...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 02:56 PM
Default Re: Let's talk tires...

Originally Posted by TeeSter
Its listed as one of the sizes on their web site at least! Time to go checking!
When I was researching the Michelin Latitude Tours around the time I was ordering my '09, they were not on the site then. Also, the Ford parts manager found the same problem when he was trying to locate them in that size. See this thread back in June on Hybridcars.com
http://www.hybridcars.com/forums/tires-and-rims.html

This is good news if there on the Michelin site now because it means there is a good chance we don't have to get them from Ford. The Parts Manager needed my VIN, but it was not in his parts computer system until after my FEH was built. Once my FEH was built 7/17/08, all the parts on my FEH could be looked up on the parts computer. One caution I would take.... there were two different parts numbers that finally came up with Michelin and the Parts Manager waited till my FEH was built to find which tire was the right one. What I'm saying is be careful and make sure the Michelin Latitudes you buy match the '09 FEH part number for them.

GaryG

Old 08-07-2008, 04:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

Wow this has turned into a great discussion here!

Yes, I'm in St. Louis... not much need for separate winter tires here. Our biggest snowfall last winter was 14" (and even that much at one time is quite rare).. and it just happened to occur right after I bought my FEH used... so I got a chance to test out the 4WD in a large unplowed parking lot.. and I'll tell you.. it worked flawlessly! Didn't even think about getting stuck and heck I couldn't even spin the tires! My wife even had a lot of fun in the white stuff!

Anyways.. I've never seen ANY Continental tire last more than 10,000 miles (Eco-tread OR Conti-Trac) without getting noisy on these Escapes... Hybrid or not. Every one I drive with these had horrible road noise.

I found the Lattitudes for about $160 each and if I decide to spend that much I might as well call some Ford guys I know and check into the ones for the '09's... I can get the Stock Continentals through our supplier for about $90 each, but I really don't want to go that route.

If we're only talking about 1-2MPG, I think I'm going to get a few more cheapo's for now. I can get them for less than $60 each. By the time they wear out, we'll be in a much better financial situation and then I'll get the good stuff.

By all means though keep this thread going.. maybe it'll make Sticky status!

Old 08-07-2008, 05:00 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TeeSter
I do know that there is a Nokian WRSUV tire that is the right size. They are PRICEY!

However, from what I understand they are the only low rolling resistance tire that ALSO is rated for severe service (winter ice/snow) conditions. The indication of this is a mountain with a snoflake on the side. The are also all season.

I'm considering them... havent taken the plunge yet.
Nokian just improved the WR 10% and released the Nokian WR G2 SUV that is a LOW ROLLING RESISTANCE TIRE!

http://www.tiresbyweb.com/showproduc...&ProdVar=62376

Looks like to me if you need something that is great on dry roads and exceptional in snow, ice and slush, hands down go with this new rubber.

-Josh

Old 08-07-2008, 06:45 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

No change in he Nokian WR warranty.
WR, WR SUV, – 50,000 miles warranty.
Link: http://www.nokiantires.com/en/warranty.aspx

This is an old review of the Nokian WR tires: http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/hl/nokian.htm

Old 08-07-2008, 08:26 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Thanks Gary Good info, probably will save me a lot of headaches!

Old 08-08-2008, 07:02 AM
Enthusiast

You may also want to look at the Bridgestone Dueler H/T D684 II, which is the tire employed by the Tahoe Hybrid. While not branded as an LRR tire, recent Consumer Reports ratings has shown that it's lower rolling resistance than several so-called LRR tires. It is also available in our size.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:21 PM
Enthusiast

Consumer Reports is a great resource. Unfortunatley Nokian Tyres (out of Finland) are not very well known throughout North American. That Canadian Driver review is great. Also, Nokian Tyres is the world's first tire manufacturer to introduce a production method using earth-friendly oils. The birch leaf insignia guarantees the complete absence of toxic chemicals. They use only low-aromatic, purified oils in the production process. That is outstanding! For me, I would rather get a tire branded LRR.

-Josh

Old 08-08-2008, 06:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HersheyBear
You may also want to look at the Bridgestone Dueler H/T D684 II, which is the tire employed by the Tahoe Hybrid. While not branded as an LRR tire, recent Consumer Reports ratings has shown that it's lower rolling resistance than several so-called LRR tires. It is also available in our size.
It's funny you mention those. I used to work for Firestone and can attest to how great a tire they are!

Our tire supplier actually has been pushing these.. I think they've got an overstock.. and I can get them pretty darn cheap as well.

I might just have a winner here...

Old 08-10-2008, 10:27 AM
Greenie

As long as the Firestone tires aren't those made by management during the strike... Those tires treads seperated and flew off causing rollovers in several Explorers... But those **** workers were paid too much...

Old 08-11-2008, 06:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

ddderek.. that was years ago, and it wasn't that model. As for whose fault the whole tire fiasco was... well we just won't get into that here.

Quick Reply: Let's talk tires...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands