MMH Mud Flaps (Splash Guards)

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 12:14 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: MMH Mud Flaps (Splash Guards)

Originally Posted by econoline
Okay, so I've had these (Ford molded splash guards) installed for nearly 2 months now, and find them pretty useless. Particularly the rears are just too small and set too far inboard to be effective. I drive a fair amount on dirt roads and find the the liftgate and rear window get completely covered in dust, to the point that I don't want to open the rear window.

Has anyone installed some "real" mud flaps of the proper size for the tires and found them to be effective with keeping the rear of the vehicle clean? I'm ready to junk the Ford molded splash guards, at least in the rear, and try some kind of bigger, possibly flat, flaps. I'm more concerned with performance than looks. Any suggestions?
If you are talking DUST not mud I don't think any mudflaps are going to be much help. The dust will come off the back of the car and will collect on the back of the vehicle because of the airflow. Your best bet is not a mudflap but some sort of spoiler to alter the airflow. The spoiler that Ford makes is for looks and will have little effect. I'm talking something more like: http://www.lundlook.com/lund_truck_p...____truck.aspx I have no idea if there is one for the Escape

Last edited by TeeSter; 06-18-2007 at 12:18 PM.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:09 AM

For those interested, I still haven't found, and therfore do not believe they exist at this time, molded flaps for the 08. So I bought 1 pair of generic Ford flats and installed on the fronts. I know, weird end to start on huh, but I noticed in this unusually excessive rainy season we're having, the sides get covered in road grime constantly. So I'm hoping I can hold out for molded rears, but will probably just get another pair of flats. Doesn't look too bad with just one pair up front. from behind the vehicle you can't see the fronts, from the front you can't see the rear. From the side, it's only obvious if you know theres a difference and you stare long enough. Now to see if it helped!

I have pics on my picture page. install was easy. I decided to notch a small section around the bump on the bottome plastic cover so it'd mount completly flush. Toughest part was decidings exactly how to hang them to provide adequate coverage, yet not stick to far off the side.

http://www.starlink-dss.com/Escape.htm

Old 06-23-2007, 07:53 AM
rb1
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 08hybridok
For those interested, I still haven't found, and therfore do not believe they exist at this time, molded flaps for the 08. So I bought 1 pair of generic Ford flats and installed on the fronts. I know, weird end to start on huh, but I noticed in this unusually excessive rainy season we're having, the sides get covered in road grime constantly. So I'm hoping I can hold out for molded rears, but will probably just get another pair of flats. Doesn't look too bad with just one pair up front. from behind the vehicle you can't see the fronts, from the front you can't see the rear. From the side, it's only obvious if you know theres a difference and you stare long enough. Now to see if it helped!

I have pics on my picture page. install was easy. I decided to notch a small section around the bump on the bottome plastic cover so it'd mount completly flush. Toughest part was decidings exactly how to hang them to provide adequate coverage, yet not stick to far off the side.

http://www.starlink-dss.com/Escape.htm
Do the flat mudflaps just snap into place or is it a more elaborate procedure to install them?

Old 06-23-2007, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by rb1
Do the flat mudflaps just snap into place or is it a more elaborate procedure to install them?
There was no snapping of anykind. They are so generic they are for several vehicles, so not even pre drilled holes. Just some pictures that show it 6" off the ground and do not hang crooked (duh). But relativly painless install. I spent most of the time taping into place, stepping back and looking at it, and tring to decide how bad it'll look with just 1 pair. I decided to hang it with the screw that is all ready in place about 1 1/8" down the flap and about an 1 1/4 from the outside. So mine may stick out a tad more than supposed to, but in this spot it covers the with of the tire, so hopefully will protect well. I also decided to cut a notch in the arch of the flap to accodomadate a bump in the plastic, this allowed the flap to sit flush the entil lenght of the wheel well, vs a small (1/8" maybe) (probably unnoticable) gap in about a 2" section.

But once I postioned one where I wanted it, it took no time to finish. I even got smart and held the 2 togather to drill my 1st hole so the 2nd side was easier, and in the same postion. I'm sure I'll get a 2nd par for the rear, but it doesn't look bad.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:42 AM

After driving after the first rain (didn't take long as it's been 16 days straight with rain here), the fronts seemed to almost eliminate all mud on the side of the vehicle, but of course there is still the water spots from the misting that occurs while driving, and I belive short of driving in a bubble nothing will eliminate those. But no mud spots on the doors!