Pulstar Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 07:43 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Pulstar Spark Plugs

I have decided to try Pulstar spark plugs in my Mariner Hybrid. They say I sould get better gas mileage. We will see.

I am going into this as a skeptic, but who knows. Maybe they will give better gas mileage.

I will keep everyone informed.

Rick.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:47 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Pulstar Spark Plugs

Modern day vehicle engines use such things as "coil-on-plug" (NO distributor), solid state CDI ignition systems, engine timing based on ECU RPM/load parametric mapping, and yes, precise, absolutely PRECISE A/F mixture control. Mixture control via intake airflow volume sensing, intake air temperature monitoring, and EFI fuel metering.

What's next, monitoring the Rh, relative humidity of the intake airflow...??

(Well......., yes.)

So, spark plugs from an old model "T" would likely last well over 100,000 miles.

Did the use of "noble" metals improve cylinder mixture firing....

NOT...!!

The improvements listed above reduced the "wear" rate such that they ALLOWED the use of miniscule levels of noble metals, EXPENSIVE noble metals. Just look at the physical size of the center electrode of an old style spark plug vs one of these new ones.

Can ignition be further improved via use of different noble metal tipped spark plugs...??

Sure, certainly.

Maybe as much as 0.0001%

Last edited by wwest; 04-10-2008 at 06:52 AM.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:47 AM
Active Enthusiast

It is my understanding that Pulstar plugs use a built in capacitor, and this is how they are different than all other spark plugs.

I am a skeptic, but I do believe anything is possible. There are supposed “Independent Tests” that do show an increase in HP, Torque, and MPG’s, so it is possible that these plugs might work as advertised.

Many of the tests were conducted by skeptics like me, and they found there was a real difference in how the cars preformed and gas mileage.

We will see. Luckily I have the $$$ to throw away on this experiment.

I will post my results, and try not to let a placebo effect skew my results. I hope this works. Anything we can do to increase MPGs is good.

rick

Old 04-11-2008, 08:54 AM
Active Enthusiast

I was thinking. Instead of me just guessing about how much better/worse these plugs would be, can anyone think of some real testing I could do. Have real numbers, so my feelings about the product will not influence the results.

I was thinking about having my car dyno'ed, but 1. its' 4wd and b. it cost more $$$.

I have a scangage II, so maybe there is some test we can come up with to test these plugs.

Please no oppinions! Just thoughts about proper testing. Any thoughts on constructing a proper test? Anyone in NE Ohio want to help/observe just let me know.

Rick

Old 04-11-2008, 09:09 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

Save your old plugs so you may do a back to back to back test.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by rxhybrid
It is my understanding that Pulstar plugs use a built in capacitor, and this is how they are different than all other spark plugs.

I am a skeptic, but I do believe anything is possible. There are supposed “Independent Tests” that do show an increase in HP, Torque, and MPG’s, so it is possible that these plugs might work as advertised.

Many of the tests were conducted by skeptics like me, and they found there was a real difference in how the cars preformed and gas mileage.

We will see. Luckily I have the $$$ to throw away on this experiment.

I will post my results, and try not to let a placebo effect skew my results. I hope this works. Anything we can do to increase MPGs is good.

rick
First, the voltage rating of that capacitor would have to be upwards of 35,000 volts, not inconcieveable but also nothing to sneeze at.

Second, a capacitor "connected" in parallel with the plug gap would have the effect of decreasing the rise time of the high voltage spark pulse, clearly not a desireable feature.

In series..??

The capacitor would be simply a short circuit at the initial, rising, time/application of the spark pulse and then a limiting factor of/for the width/duration of the spark pulse.

Not good.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by rxhybrid
I was thinking. Instead of me just guessing about how much better/worse these plugs would be, can anyone think of some real testing I could do. Have real numbers, so my feelings about the product will not influence the results.

I was thinking about having my car dyno'ed, but 1. its' 4wd and b. it cost more $$$.

I have a scangage II, so maybe there is some test we can come up with to test these plugs.

Please no oppinions! Just thoughts about proper testing. Any thoughts on constructing a proper test? Anyone in NE Ohio want to help/observe just let me know.

Rick
Thinking about your question...

The simplest and most direct way would be to install a Pulsar spark plug (two??) in the engine of one of these new inverter(***) style RV/emergency generator sets. Use a fixed 50% output capacity resistive load. With the engine FULLY warmed to operational temperatures measure the EXACT engine RPM/speed with the Pulsar plug(s) and with an RX400h OEM plug.

The genset will not have all the sensor/servos used to fully optimize your RX's engine, FAR from it, so the results will be more directly related to the Pulsar "advantage".

*** Line frequency AC is produced via a solid state inverter, so engine speed/RPM would be mostly related to the genset's 50% output load.

Last edited by wwest; 04-11-2008 at 10:15 AM.
Old 04-13-2008, 05:50 PM

Did you check to see what was installed? My 06 FEH came with NGK's new "Laser Iridium" plugs, which at Approx. $12 a pop are almost twice the price of their regular price iridiums. These are one of the absolute best plugs on the market. The Pulstars have a 30 day money back guarantee so be sure to get them from an authorized dealer. Check the insulators for cracks, the gap and the electrode alignment as I have read a good deal about their spotty quality control. Please report back, I'm curious to read about your experiences. As a side note, some of the coil pack rubber boots might adhere to the engine and tear when you remove them. You must replace them to avoid misfiring. Ford does not sell them separately, you have to buy the entire coil pack assembly. NAPA sells the replacement boots at approx. $10 each.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:32 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

My brother is a motor head horsepower freak. Opposite of me actually!

Anyhow, in his high performance cars, he prefers regular copper conductor plugs.
He says they give the best spark and higher horsepower but need to be replaced frequently... I think every 20k miles he said he replaces the plugs.

The newer "harder" metal tipped plugs last longer for sure, but are not necessarily "better". And if you have the time, they are what, $1 each?
-John

Old 04-14-2008, 08:17 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Yes, in my wannabe gearhead days it was understood that long life plugs became that way because of a weaker spark. However, for those who did not like to change plugs, it was accepted that NGK platinums delivered the goods while Bosch did not. Frequent plug changes on aluminum head engines were sometimes viewed as risky for inexperienced hands.

Quick Reply: Pulstar Spark Plugs

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands