Second Failure on my 09 FEH

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 01:49 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Second Failure on my 09 FEH

Originally Posted by 08FEH
Biil, you are correct about the older models not doing the gas sucking over rev. Our 08 never did.

But for sure the 09 is triggered by the oat. It could even be through the iat (intake air temp sensor,) but somehow outside air temp over 92 is triggering the over-rev condition. I was just wondering if fomoco happened to use the same sensor.
My 2008 over revs above 96 degrees OAT.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:01 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Wow Steve, interesting info. Does it go up to 2500?
Mine is either idle or 2500... There is no in between.
Our 08 definitely did not do this making it much more fuel efficient on hot days (normal, non-hypermiling driving.)

Old 09-15-2010, 11:23 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 08FEH
Wow Steve, interesting info. Does it go up to 2500?
Mine is either idle or 2500... There is no in between.
Our 08 definitely did not do this making it much more fuel efficient on hot days (normal, non-hypermiling driving.)
It seems to vary by speed. At around 35 it goes to 2000, which is almost 500 above normal (at cruising - not accelerating). At about 65 it is only about 200 or so above normal. I can tell immediately when it happens, and it is simple to confirm - just turn off the compressor and the Revs drop immediately. It seems a bit stupid to me, since my understanding is that the A/C compressor can run by itself to cool the battery, and presumably is running for that purpose. The behavior appears to be tied to the cabin A/C switch.

Old 09-15-2010, 03:48 PM

Yes, I agree. If I turn off the a/c the rpms instantly drop. There is no compromising for good mileage when in that higher rpm mode. It's a fuel sucking strategy. I'll bet it's no longer an issue on the newer models that no longer cool the battery pack other than to use interior cabin air for that purpose. That was a pretty smart move as the interior of most vehicles would most likely be around 76.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:59 PM
Red face Re: Second Failure on my 09 FEH

Originally Posted by wptski
There's no PCM input from the OAT. In fact, I think older FEH didn't even have a OAT.
Right, no dedicated OAT sensor. I believe the first gen FEHs infer (predict rather than directly measure) a value for OAT from the measured IAT........for PCM purposes.

Some owners installed the Ford/GM/OEM review mirrors that display compass direction and ambient temperature....but that sensor is not connected to the PCM (I believe the instructions say to install that sensor low and forward in the front fender structure).

Old 09-15-2010, 09:05 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by glennb
Right, no dedicated OAT sensor. I believe the first gen FEHs infer (predict rather than directly measure) a value for OAT from the measured IAT........for PCM purposes.

Some owners installed the Ford/GM/OEM review mirrors that display compass direction and ambient temperature....but that sensor is not connected to the PCM (I believe the instructions say to install that sensor low and forward in the front fender structure).
If you have a SG-II you can monitor the IAT. You'll clearly see that if idling at a traffic light the IAT will rise way above OAT but as your moving it drops closer. It can hardly calculate OAT from IAT easily if at all.

Old 09-16-2010, 04:05 AM
Red face Re: Second Failure on my 09 FEH

If you have a SG-II you can monitor the IAT. You'll clearly see that if idling at a traffic light the IAT will rise way above OAT but as your moving it drops closer. It can hardly calculate OAT from IAT easily if at all.
Right, but what does the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) really need Outside Air Temperature (OAT) for?

It measures what it needs,......the temperature of the air entering the engine (IAT).

Old 09-16-2010, 06:53 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by glennb
Right, but what does the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) really need Outside Air Temperature (OAT) for?

It measures what it needs,......the temperature of the air entering the engine (IAT).
I don't think that it does. Your the one that stated that first generation FEH infered it from IAT, I didn't. I'm just saying that infering OAT from IAT is next to impossible.

Other than the OAT location behind the grille, the OAT isn't even shown in the electrical diagrams.

Old 09-16-2010, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by colchiro
Also want to get that new, quieter cross-member (TSB). Hopefully that takes care of the horrible engine noise in subzero temps.
This one? TSB 09-22-19
Emailed my service rep about this and was told he's never heard of it and no longer has a certified hybrid tech, two things I didn't want to hear. He suggested a test drive.

Old 09-16-2010, 03:20 PM

Rick, it's over 300 bucks to get it done once you're out of warranty, so don't delay.

It is not coincidence that the feh over revs above 92 degrees. So it is monitoring air temp from somewhere.

Quick Reply: Second Failure on my 09 FEH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands