SG II Codes

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 12:56 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default SG II Codes

Just to bring Desert Dog's work bak to the top

Is there a code, maybe one of these, that is an indicator of not sure what to call it, EV drain/ ICE trigger? In other words the harder you press on the gas the more power you draw, there's a point when the ICE kicks in to meet demand (pedal pressure) is there a way to know where this point is so one can stop pressing and coast?

Sure wish the FEH could talk to me, last 3 days round trip to work, 95F+ going to work, AC on ecno, achieve EV at stops. Return home 75F, dry air, No EV for 2 nights in a row, but did on the 3rd night. Go figure!

Last edited by 08hybridok; 07-07-2008 at 12:37 AM.
Old 07-04-2008, 04:45 AM
Default Re: SG II Codes

Is there a code, maybe one of these, that is an indicator of not sure what to call it, EV drain/ ICE trigger? In other words the harder you press on the gas the more power you draw, there's a point when the ICE kicks in to meet demand (pedal pressure) is there a way to know where this point is so one can stop pressing and coast?

From the work of Desertdog:
You want to add this code to your scanguageII:
Current from TCM:
TXD: 07E122496E
RXF: 04628549066E
RXD: 3010
MTH: 027102000000
NAM: AMP

A general rule is when you exceed 50 amps, the ICE will kick in. This code allows one to monitor how far to press the gas pedal while in EV to avoid ICE from kicking in.

This display will feature small numbers==amps flowing out of the hybrid battery and large numbers==amps flowing into the hybrid battery to build the state of charge.

Last edited by Billyk; 07-05-2008 at 03:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-04-2008, 11:56 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Billyk
From the work of GPSman1:
Current from TCM:

A general rule is when you exceed 50 amps, the ICE will kick in. This code allows one to monitor how far to press the gas pedal while in EV to avoid ICE from kicking in.

This display will feature small numbers==amps flowing out of the hybrid battery and large numbers==amps flowing into the hybrid battery to build the state of charge.
Is 50 amps fairly consistent, or does it vary with overall battery charge? I notice with higher SoC I can usually accelerate harder or tackle hills that are a little steeper.

Thanks,

Rick

Old 07-04-2008, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by rmcmast
Is 50 amps fairly consistent, or does it vary with overall battery charge? I notice with higher SoC I can usually accelerate harder or tackle hills that are a little steeper.

Thanks,

Rick
Rick, it is a "general" rule. Other items, such as weather, may induce slight changes. Report back on your findings.

Old 07-04-2008, 03:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

Rick, it is a "general" rule. Other items, such as weather, may induce slight changes. Report back on your findings.
OK, I was just wondering how much variance you saw if you were using it. I'll report back when I get a chance to add the gauge.

Thanks,

Rick

Old 07-04-2008, 04:16 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

No, the 4915 PID is current in/out of the HV battery. The 496E PID is current received by the transaxle. Large numbers are a result of the inability of the SG to handle scaled 2's complement numbers correctly for both positive and negative values. The large numbers represent charge or discharge current with offsets depending on how they are coded. This is why I have two current xgauges listed, one that gives correct discharge (+) numbers, the other correct charge (-) numbers. This is also why I was reluctant to post the current xgauges even though I sent them to gpsman1 at his request in a PM last year. The large numbers still confuse people, but there is no way at present to remedy this.

I added Motor Torque and Generator Torque to the list. Motor torque seems to be the most reliable indicator of when you are about to force the ICE on, when compared to torque requested. It is all a function of temp, SoC, etc. of course. There is not, as far as I can tell, a definitive rule. But maybe someone will figure one out.

Hopefully I will soon add the DTC retriever for the TBCM, but it is not working at present although it should be doable.

Last edited by DesertDog; 07-05-2008 at 04:04 PM. Reason: nothing better to do
Old 07-05-2008, 02:55 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Bill, you may wish to edit your ealier post.

Carl is 100% correct, and I am not taking credit for "creating" anything, and never have.
Thanks for pointing that out Carl.
I only have posted information that was available from publically available resources, one of which is the ScanGuage website. Carl has contributed greatly to the understanding of how the SG uses the FORD PID's. The Ford PID's were there all along, and many people have been aware of them for years. Carl helped to get the SG to display this data in a useful manner. Carl and I were working independently on very similar PID projects a few months before the ScanGuage came out with the "add-a-gauge" XGuage capability. I was working on ways to display PID info without the use of a SG, ( using other, more expensive equipment ) and since Carl lived close to the company who manufactured the more economical SG, he was able to help get this integration with all the scale and math for the SG.

Since the SG costs less that other equipment that can do the same, I have given up on my separate project, and have come to rely totally on the use of the SG.

-John

Old 07-05-2008, 03:26 PM

Post has been changed from GPSman1 to DesertDog.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:40 AM

From the work of Desertdog:
Current from TCM:

Thanks, that must be the one I'm looking for, now to some info from it during my 1 long EV chance a night I get. The first night it seems to have tripped at about 40 something, same time I hit 30mph (some reason 30 is harder to pass than 25 or getting all the way to 40). So hopefully this will help.

Ok 2n'd nite, one place I easily hit 47 stayed in EV. 1/2 mile down the road, same place as before, only in the 30's but at 30mph ICE on, It's the hardest thing on this one place to do, it's gradualy all down hill, at most flat, no uphill, but to pass 30mph is hard, but can be done w/patience. But once achieved it's had to keep under 40 at the end of the mile because the road takes a big dip down hill, easily coasts over 40 when your ev'ing at 37-39mph

So I concur 50 seems the tripping point, most of the time.

It was interesting to see the number stay 'small' as often as it does, 2Amp or less most anytime the gas is pressed, I didn't think batt assist happened that much, or is that the SG way of staying in the 'middle'? But whenpressing on the gas and all ready crusing (40mph+) I'm supprised to see 17-20Amp + Guess that's why we have a win-win, 4cyl mpg, v6 performance!

Last edited by 08hybridok; 07-07-2008 at 12:44 AM.