Squeaky rear end--'08

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 05:36 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Squeaky rear end--'08

I posted to an earlier thread about rear end squeaks, but it was an old thread so I'm starting fresh.
Does anyone remember the discussion about the matress spring type squeak from the rear as well as the rhythmic squeal related to braking? Well, that thread ended before the '08s came out. Mine started doing both really badly this week and I'd like to know if anyone with an '08 had any experience with this so I can give the dealership someplace to start in the search.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:03 PM
N/A
Default Re: Squeaky rear end--'08

No squeaking on mine. There is more suspension noise than I'd like, but no squeaking. Yet. We'll see what happens when it gets cold.

As for the electric motor noise, having owned a Prius from 2003 until 2006, I know that'ss part of Toyota or Ford hybrid ownership. Mine does it at almost all speeds if there's any charge/assist going on.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

mine squeaks quite a bit. I hear it really good like in parking garages, or if i am going slow next to a wall or something. My wife said she also hears this squeaking on her FEH, so you are not alone!

Old 09-14-2007, 11:21 AM
Active Enthusiast

I just got a call back from the dealer; apparently, early 2008 FEHs have misshapen rear brake shoes. Ford is aware of this and has recently advised dealerships of the problem. It has not gotten a TSB yet. This should fix the mattress squeak and the rhythmic squeak/squeal and the banshee-like screech when it's rained. I am happy!

Old 09-14-2007, 11:44 AM
N/A

Brake shoes? The hybrid has all disc brakes so there are no shoes. I'll bet the dealer person meant brake discs, eh?

Old 09-14-2007, 02:00 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: Squeaky rear end--'08

Parking brake may be of the shoe/drum type located inside the rear rotor(s)

Old 09-14-2007, 03:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

I know he said shoes. Great, now I've got to trust these people with the FEH and they don't even know what they're talking about. Maybe he misspoke? I sure hope so.

Old 09-17-2007, 04:10 PM
Enthusiast

I am glad to know you have the same issue (well, not for you, but that I am not alone!).

I have the exact same issues. The high-pitch really hurts my ears! And that screech when it rains--wow I didn't know cars made such a noise. I will take it in soon and give them the info you told me. I know they had similar noises with 06-07 FEH, but those should have been resolved by the 2008s. Mine is about as old as yours (6,000 plus) and just started these squeaks in the last month.

Thanks for the info. I will take it in to get it serviced and hopefully give them a lead!

Old 09-18-2007, 09:47 AM
Active Enthusiast

aGDevil2k-
I'm taking the truck in tonight for the repair. When I get the paperwork, I'll post here so you can know exactly what to tell your mechanic. Now, if only someone could figure out the high pitched whine from the front of the car...

Old 09-18-2007, 12:02 PM
N/A

It's possible that you, like so many others before, are hearing the normal sound of the motor/generators. To be sure, perhaps it might be worth trying out another FEH and seeing if it makes the whine also. My old Prius did it, my neighbords HiHy does it, and my FEH does it.

Quick Reply: Squeaky rear end--'08

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands