TC and F/awd vehicles.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 04:13 PM
Imported from Detroit
Default Re: TC and F/awd vehicles.

Originally Posted by stevedebi
RE: Ignore list. So that people understand that I will not have read certain posts.

The interesting thing about the FEH (as opposed to the Toyota) Hybrid AWD systems is that it is identical mechanically to the non hybrid. The Toyotas use individual electric drives on the rear wheel, which can over heat and shut down (although this seldom happens in the real world, from what I have read).

I have a feeling that Ford considers most of it's hybrid programming very secret, and chooses not to produce any documentation that explains their AWD drive routines and how they actually implement the AWD. Of course they publish any maintenance guides required, but that is different from the design of how the system operates. So about all we know is that the sales literature says that it is "intelligent" 4WD and adapts to road conditions, rather than reacts to road conditions. But this is really only implied in the sales literature.
The shop states that the 4WD ATC rearend unit has heat detection(somehow??) and goes into a lock-up mode to reduce heat. Your supposed to idle for ten minutes to allow for cooling. They don't tell you anything about this in the owner's manual and the shop manual does tell you how your supposed to know this either. When I was talking to the service manager he asked if I had a problem or was my 4WD light ON? I didn't think about it till later but I'm wondering if the 4WD light is the heat indicator? If you take a flashlight at a angle, you can see the 4WD icon in the upper left hand dash corner. I don't know how they'd detect heat because there's only two wires going back to the ATC unit and they operate the unit and no sensor there!

Old 07-24-2009, 08:55 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: TC and F/awd vehicles.

Originally Posted by stevedebi
The Ford implementation of AWD is very different from Toyota, and the TC programming is also different. Ford developed their software and hardware separately from Toyota; although the two concepts are similar, the implementation is different.

Thus, owning an FEH means one has the documentation and driving experience to share with other FEH owners about Ford products.

wwest tends to spout Toyota information in the FEH threads, which is why he is on my ignore list - I cannot trust that any information he provides definitively applies to the FEH as opposed to the HSD.
The new Toyota Venza and 2010 RX350 F/awd systems are virtualy duplicates of the Ford Escape, Mercury Mariner, and Mazda tribute F/awd
system. Likely also the CX-7. Even Porsche has jumped on "this" bandwagon, using the same electromechanical dual clutch to couple in the front driveline.