Yukon Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 11:09 AM
N/A
Default Re: Yukon Hybrid

This is veering off topic but...

Originally Posted by gpsman1
Whoa there! 40 miles per hour on I70?!?!? How do you keep from getting run over by fully loaded semis? I keep my 2005 at or above 55 miles per hour. ... Sure, I don't cringe when heavy ski traffic slows me down, but I always keep up with the flow in the right lane.
Oh, I see; My mistake. I was basing this on your many posts like the following one from the "driving in hills" thread where you've said repeatedly that you never exceed 2400 RPM on I-70 and still go 55. This is basically impossible in the FEH.

For those unfamiliar: These climbs are four to six lanes with a mix of cars going 60-80 MPH and trucks crawling up at 10-15, then cruising down at 30-50. Truckers use their engine brakes to prevent loss of control and slow to less than 25 on the steepest downhill sections. Many cars on this road are rentals driven by vacationers unfamiliar with high altitude driving. Others are commuters, and then there are all the athletes/skiers/mountaineers etc going to/from homes or the mountain recreation areas. It's a crazy mix at any time. It has numerous runaway truck ramps and is often the scen of nasty accidents.

As John accurately states, it's imperative for safety to keep moving with the flow of traffic.

I always keep RPM to 2400 or less on the highway, unless it is an emergency, or I need to merge onto a ramp, etc. I can climb the rockies at 2400 RPM and 55+ MPH. You can too. -John

Old 11-01-2007, 11:45 AM
MPG FANATIC WITH GUZZLERS

Toyota planned to have their hybrid Tundra out by now, but it isn't,and they no longer "boast" about when it will be arriving.From this it is reasonable to assume that they are having problems scaling their system up.
Obviously,Toyota doesn't "tell" anyone what the "problem" is, but I have read-somewhere online,I guess- that they are having problems making the system durable enough for heavy towing/carrying. It is one thing to scale it up to move 5500 lbs of vehicle/people/payload/tongue wt(I'm guessing that is the max a HH can weigh fully loaded), but to scale it up to be able to tow 10,000 lbs from a dead stop uphill is a very different thing.You would think you could just make the gears 3x as strong etc, but apparently it is a lot harder than that.
One of GM's advantages is that it has lots of experience with "heavish" light duty 1/2 ton pickups,and with true heavy duty pickups.
I've been pleasantly surprised with the build quality/durability/ride.drivetrain of the 2 used GM vehicles I owned(2001 Prizm),and 1998 Suburban.Despite being 197000 miles old, it gets an honest 20mpg at 60mph(sea level). I could see a Yukon/Tahoe with better aerodynamics,and the smaller 5.3 getting 23-25mpg hy at 60 mph.
It wouldn't be a bad idea to drop the national speed limit to 68mph or so.It was done(55mph) in the late 70's,and it reminded us all that we were in a struggle to save fuel.We need a bit more "pain" to get the country behind conservation.I don't want that pain to be $5 /gal gasoline.
Charlie

Old 11-01-2007, 03:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SPL
n8kwx — I believe that Toyota does not use the same system as GM in its Highlander Hybrid. Toyota's is not a 2-mode hybrid. Read Miller's paper attached to my post #23.

Stan
Sorry,

I wasn't clear. I was refering to the Ford guy and his eCVT. The Fords are rated at 1000lbs towing, while the Highlander is rated at 3500lbs. The Ford and Toyota use esentially the same system (when comparing 2WD versions...)

The main thing I could see about Toyota not scaling it to something like the Tundra would be a price/benefit issue.

The nice thing about the Ford/Toyota HSD system is that there are no bands, clutches or changing of gears. Seems like a good towing setup to me.

It's my understanding that most towing failures are transmission failures. And I'd guess that most of those failures are bands or clutches failing. Not an actual gear breaking.

Anyone with transmission shop or rebuilding experience?

Old 11-01-2007, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by mtberman
This is veering off topic but...
Oh, I see; My mistake. I was basing this on your many posts like the following one from the "driving in hills" thread where you've said repeatedly that you never exceed 2400 RPM on I-70 and still go 55. This is basically impossible in the FEH.

As John accurately states, it's imperative for safety to keep moving with the flow of traffic.
Good post Terry! I have a hard time here on GH trying to help folks increase their mileage with constant counter post about my recommendations. I don't know it all, but I'm getting very good mileage with what I do, and it's calculated with any conditions.

What you posted adds up to me for those conditions. I may use different techniques based on conditions, but that's me.

If you see me post anything different from one thread to another, please hit me with the same information about John as you did. If anyone except persons with multiple ID's lie about things, I will inform. So far, there is is only one person doing that, that I know. Guess who?

GaryG

Old 11-02-2007, 11:28 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Talking Re: Yukon Hybrid

Everything I said was accurate, and things in Gary's posting are inaccurate. You can climb the rockies at 2400 RPM and 55 miles per hour if your car is a 2wd and does not have a lot of extra weight or other "drag".

I said "anyone can" I never said everyone must, or should.

Indications are, Gary has been "hitting the sauce" again... and not Tobasco!

Old 11-02-2007, 06:32 PM

Everything I said was accurate, and things in Gary's posting are inaccurate. You can climb the rockies at 2400 RPM and 55 miles per hour if your car is a 2wd and does not have a lot of extra weight or other "drag".

I said "anyone can" I never said everyone must, or should.

Indications are, Gary has been "hitting the sauce" again... and not Tobasco!
It was not I that pointed out what you've posted. I just agreed with what was posted.

The fact is, I climb steep bridges that may be like the climbs everyone faces with the ICE in your area. As far as the sauce, please give me the chance to take your FEH in front of this group!

GaryG