Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Yellow snowflake time--unfortunately

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 09:23 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Yellow snowflake time--unfortunately

This morning snow driving conditions, heater on the air conditioner settings and yellow snowflake display again. Fall is coming quickly this year. And I just had achieved my first 70-700. That is MPG over 70 actual and over 700 miles on one tank. Actual stats were 71.8 actual MPG, MFD 73.3 using 9.916 gallons for 712 miles. But now temps in the thirties and strong winds.

Old 09-18-2006, 04:48 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Yellow snowflake time--unfortunately

30s? Yikes. I started complaining when morning temps dropped into the high 40s.

Old 09-18-2006, 06:06 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Yep. I noticed the chilling too in my area.
On a second though, in a few months even those temps will sound like "beach time" for some of us.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 09-18-2006, 07:05 AM

Don't eat the yellow snowflakes.

Old 09-20-2006, 12:46 PM

Assuming it isn't what "foo monkey" was talking about, what the heck is a "yellow snowflake display"??

Hope this winter isn't like 2002-03, when it got into the low 20s and I had to spray the backyard orange tree overnight to keep it alive.

I lived thru the 1983 cold wave in Omaha (8 straight days with the high temp <=0 F and lows down to -22 F) and the 1989 wave in Dallas (all-time record low of -1 F). We moved down here to get away from that kind of nastiness. We love to watch the Christmastime TV commercials with all the snow scenes, while thanking God we'll never see it in real life again.

Old 09-20-2006, 07:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

On 2G Prius models, a graphic appears on the dashboard that is a yellow snowflake in front and a narrowing road behind. A reminder rectangle also appears at the first snowflake of the season that explains this graphic is a caution of winter driving conditions. The snowflake appears at three degrees celsius [37F] .

Old 09-21-2006, 12:38 AM

Wow, 30s in Colorado already? And I thought I had it bad in Boston. I sat through 3 winters in a row where it got down to -25F and got the heck out of there. I hope to never see this snowflake icon ;o)

But, in Boston you won't see 30s until late October at the earliest. Snow maybe - that can happen before it hits freezing, especially there - but not 32F. I feel for you guys in CO, especially getting mileage that good in cold weather, I've heard mileage is really impacted by cold temperatures.

Last edited by SoopahMan; 09-23-2006 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-23-2006, 05:08 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SoopahMan
But, in Boston you won't see 30s until late October at the earliest....I've heard mileage is really impacted by cold temperatures.
Downtown maybe, due to the urban heat island but we have already had temps in the upper 30's at night and I am less than 15 miles from downtown. Watching the tomatoes closely so I can grab them all before the first frost.

Winter mileage in the Escapes (for me) is 10-20% lower than summer. This time of year is best - no cabin a/c, no battery a/c, dry conditions. Perfect.

Where were you in Boston Soopah? I can't believe you didn't like it here.

Old 09-23-2006, 11:58 AM

I actually loved, and continue to love, Boston, I just hate the frickin Winters. I intend to visit, a lot. I grew up just outside of it, then lived in Boston proper for about 6 years, and Cambridge for 2 more (had to get away from Fenway crazies... too many flipped and burned cars outside my apartment).

But you know, you can't live in the same place your entire life - so here I am in a place that's very different, yet fairly the same. It's a fun adventure. Boston will probably always be home for me, though. And yes, the fall in Boston is especially crisp - it has its own smell, that I'll always associate with Football and Soccer. The fall is awesome there... I just hate the winter! Although I do look forward to driving here without anyone slamming the brakes to stop because they're visiting from out of town and saw the most beautiful tree changing its leaves. Seriously? Yeah it's nice but we don't need a car crash.

Old 09-23-2006, 07:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

For all of you who do not have the "opportunity" for snow in September:
Over the past two-three days the Colorado high mountains have received between two and three FEET of snow!! The ski areas are loving it and just about every Colorado paper has pictures of skiers in powder snow at areas such as Telluride, Vail, Breckenridge.
And down here in front range flatter land primarily cold with freeze warnings each night.