General EV Discussion Discuss electric only vehicles (Tesla, Volt etc.)

Tesla Motors?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 09:05 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Tesla Motors?

Originally Posted by stevejust
As for only VC's driving it, I'm of the impression they're trying to bring it in at a price way under the $600,000 Venturi: http://www.venturi.fr/us/fetish/specs/specs.php3
OK, good, that way I can buy two of 'em for a cool mil.

Old 07-18-2006, 04:40 AM
Active Enthusiast
Thumbs down Re: Tesla Motors?

Sorry, but what we need is a practical electric car that people actually can afford to buy. I couldn't care less about someone making an electric car with super performance that costs hundreds of thousands of dollars. Might as well not make these, as far as I'm concerned. A few millionaires will drive around in them and that's it. No tangible impact on the world, nor even a sliver of hope of having any such impact.

We need more cars like the Zap Xebra. Actually what we need is to relax the BS safety standards so that NEVs don't have to be artificially castrated and forced to run at 25 MPH when they are physically capable of going 40+. An NEV is an utterly useless POS if it can't go at least 30 to be legal on a 40 MPH road, and preferably actually do 35 or 40 so it can stay with the traffic.

The difference in speed between 25 and 40 MPH is not going to be a serious danger, in fact it would actually be safer on roads with higher speed limits. Probably the biggest danger in an electric car that can only travel at relatively low speeds is being hit by someone else.

But anyway we're getting off topic here. The problem with this car is it goes 0-60 in like 5 seconds, and your bank account goes from $500K to bankrupt in just as little time.

Old 07-18-2006, 05:25 AM

For a practical, family sized electric car to be cheap, it really needs to be a plug-in hybrid. This way you can get by with a small battery (say, 30 mile range rather than 300 mile range). When you run out of battery charge, a small backup gasoline engine fires up to take over for longer trips.

The big auto companies claim that having two powerplants like this is economically unfeasible, but I don't agree.

For a 30 mile range, you'd need about 8 kWh of battery storage. With today's lithium-ion 18650s (as used in the Tesla), that would weigh 40 kg, consist of 900 individual cells and cost (at $3 per cell) $2,700 for the battery alone.

That obviously adds a lot to the sticker price of the car, but remember, the ICE can be downsized massively, from, say, a 2 litre engine to a three cylinder 660 cc unit (there are masses of these to choose from in Japan) while keeping acceleration the same or better. That saves a lot of money. Then there's no gearbox to worry about, so more money saved there. Soon, it adds up to about $2k in savings.

So a plug-in hybrid powertrain can be developed today to (a) fit entirely within the space normally filled today with a large gasoline engine and transmision and (b) come out at a cost differential of maybe $2k over a base gasoline-only vehicle.

The EVs are coming, but it will be via the Plug-in hybrid first.

Old 07-18-2006, 05:50 AM
Active Enthusiast

I agree that plug-in hybrids will be first. I still can't get very excited over this Tesla thing though. I guess it's a nice proof of concept, but then again, what exactly is it proving?

Can you really get Li-ION batteries that cheaply? I thought they were quite a bit more expensive than that. Most EV conversions today use lead acid because of their cheapness, but Li-ION is way better in terms of weight.

What sort of 3 cylinder engines are available in Japan? It seems like the only car in the US to use a 3 cylinder engine in recent years was the Geo/Chevy Metro and of course the Insight. Are there a lot of smaller engine cars in Japan, maybe due to higher gas prices?

Last edited by Nagorak; 07-18-2006 at 05:53 AM.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Nagorak
Can you really get Li-ION batteries that cheaply? I thought they were quite a bit more expensive than that.
They are VASTLY expensive if you go to a battery manufacturer and ask for big, bespoke lithium-ion cells for an EV project. Figure on $2000 to $3000 per kWh.

But go to the mature end of the market, 18650 cells are the AA-size batteries used to make up all digital camera, laptop, camcorder batteries etc. The market for this established format is fiercely competitive and prices are falling year on year. You can buy a 9 Wh cell for $3, which is about $330 per kWh, a tenth the price that most car manufacturers complain lithium-ion is "meant" to cost.

This is why AC-propulsion, Tesla and Wrightspeed all use 18650s to build up their large LiIon battery packs. Lithium is not that expensive!

Originally Posted by Nagorak
What sort of 3 cylinder engines are available in Japan?
Japan has a tax system that allows so called "micro-cars" many privelidges. Some rules relate to maximum length and width etc but one of the rules is that they may not exceed 660 cc in engine capacity. These are hugely popular in Japan (millions of them on the roads), available from all of the big domestic manufacturers and some of them are amazingly fast for their engine-size. The Honda Beat and Suzuki Capuccino in particular are little gems.

Old 07-19-2006, 03:23 PM

Bwilson or Double Trinity, or Hot Georgia or Go Navy (if you read this): maybe one of y'all technical types can help me out with a question:

My friend said screw Tesla, 'cause they're all about going fast and the point should be about efficiency. So I asked him how the potential speed of the car effects the efficiency. I mean, it's not an ICE... so if I step on the "gas" and tell it to use 20KW watts, what does it matter if the engine is a 60KW engine barely capable of moving the car or a 500KW engine able to propel it from 1-60 in under 4 seconds?

He responded with this:

Loading. Since motors run most efficiently near their designed power rating, it is good practice to operate between 75 percent and 100 percent of full load rating. The National Association of Electrical Manufacturers (NEMA) publishes guides for selecting motor design types for particular tasks. Motor manufacturers are another good source of information on proper selection of motors.
But this still doesn't really tell me why or how much efficiency is lost.

And I responded, doesn't the "transmission" vary the "load" so it falls within certain parameters?

Last edited by stevejust; 07-19-2006 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:39 PM
YA RLY.

http://www.wired.com/news/wiredmag/0,71414-0.html

The Tesla Roadster is powered by 6,831 rechargeable lithium-ion batteries -- the same cells that run a laptop computer. Range: 250 miles. Fuel efficiency: 1 to 2 cents per mile. Top speed: more than 130 mph. The first cars will be built at a factory in England and are slated to hit the market next summer. And Tesla Motors, Eberhard's company, is already gearing up for a four-door battery-powered sedan.

An onboard computer provides traction control, keeping the car from burning rubber. The result: 0 to 60 in about four seconds. And, since the motor is not limited by the complexity of pistons moving up and down, it can spin much faster. Porsche's top-of-the-line model -- the $440,000 Carrera GT -- maxes out at 8,400 rpm; the Tesla Roadster has a ceiling of 13,500, enabling it to go 70 mph in first gear. (It has two gears, plus reverse.)

The Roadster's sporty styling allowed Eberhard to maximize the car's range and still win a drag race. With its two-person capacity and aerodynamic contours, the lightweight machine can go 250 miles on a single charge. (When connected to a special 220-volt, 70-amp outlet, recharging takes about three and a half hours.) Plus, the sports car class lets Eberhard price it on the high end -- in the range of a Porsche 911 Carrera S, roughly $80,000.
http://blog.wired.com/teslacar/index.album?i=0

Old 07-19-2006, 04:48 PM
Engineering first

. . .
My friend said screw Tesla, 'cause they're all about going fast and the point should be about efficiency. So I asked him how the potential speed of the car effects the efficiency. I mean, it's not an ICE... so if I step on the "gas" and tell it to use 20KW watts, what does it matter if the engine is a 60KW engine barely capable of moving the car or a 500KW engine able to propel it from 1-60 in under 4 seconds?

He responded with this:

But this still doesn't really tell me why or how much efficiency is lost.

And I responded, doesn't the "transmission" vary the "load" so it falls within certain parameters?
Yes and no. As a general rule, you want to maximize efficiency and generally that is achieved by lower power levels but it ain't necessairly so especially in the case of variable speed, permanent magnet motors. It is a question of the inverter, controller and motor design.

But there are some losses that can't be avoided:

- air drag which is proportional to the square of the velocity
- friction which tends to increase in a slowly increasing, linear fashion except for brakes
- braking losses which even with regenerative braking will exist
- I**2 current losses that are proportional to the square of the current

Really it is a question of design and the technologies used to implement the vehicle. Super conductor magnets, pressure lubrication, magnetic bearings, super-cooled electronics, higher voltages, boundry layer and aerodynamics and careful design and testing could make it a very efficient vehicle. But really, we need a test article to find out.

Bob Wilson

Old 07-20-2006, 07:32 PM

Hey, it's a cool car. As long as people associate electric cars with things like that Zap Xebra, electric cars will never get off the ground. I think Tesla is taking a fine approach to prove electric is cool. Cars have always been more about a viceral response than logic, and a car's affect can be far more reaching than just to the clientele that can afford it. Everybody knows Porsche, few can buy it. Good luck to Tesla. I hope they do very well.

Old 07-21-2006, 03:53 AM

screw Tesla, 'cause they're all about going fast and the point should be about efficiency.
Actually, by using a larger, higher power rated motor they can get BETTER efficiency than using a smaller motor. It's the exact opposite of what you expect with a gasoline engine. So their approach is more efficient, not less (at least when you drive it sensibly! ).

Quick Reply: Tesla Motors?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands