1st problem with Tahoe Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 06:31 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default 1st problem with Tahoe Hybrid

Now with 30,000 miles, I got a "Check Hybrid System" Warning on DIC.

Dealer said code was "Hybrid battery overtemp". Supposition was that the cooling fan for the rear battery pack had failed or malfunctioned.

However rear battery pack cooling system checked out OK. On further inspection technician found that my wife's "neck pillow" which she uses on long trips had found it's way underneath the rear seat and was blocking the air intake to the cooling fan which is on the floor under the rear seat (2nd row).

Apparantly, while attending a funeral recently and giving 3 other family members a ride to the cemetery, they moved the pillow to the floor off the rear seat where it normally resides. It ended up blocking the cooling fan inlet.

So...... the rear seat area, and especially the floor, needs to be kept clear of other possible junk like snow brushes, snow scrapers, neck pillows and blankets, which, over time, could migrate and block the cooling fan intake port.

BTW, on long trips we place a small cooler between the rear seat and the front center console and this presents NO problem, and will continue to do so.

Being somewhat embarrased by the neck pillow incident I was relieved by the embarrasment of the Service Writer when he automatically suggested that it might be time to do the 30,000 mile service proceedures....like changing the Tranny fluid....probably after seeing an automatic prompt on his computer screen. When I queried him on what type of ATF the Electric Hybrid Tranny uses he got a blank look on his face. "Ohhh....I'll have to check on that," he said. I told him to go ahead and change it but they needed to show me proof of the correct type recommended for the Hybrid.

When settling the bill he told me that they deferred changing the Tranny fluid because they decided it would take too long to get at the fill port on the Tranny. What a lame excuse !!

Old 11-02-2009, 08:23 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 1st problem with Tahoe Hybrid

Fill port? You mean that 3/4" tube that the dipstick slides down?

In the same spot as a "normal" one? BTW. The fluid is Dexron 6. It is kind of pricy these days.