2009 Chev Tahoe Hybrid Modifications

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 03:59 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2009 Chev Tahoe Hybrid Modifications

Ken: what does a good ohm meter say about the resistance of your new plug wires?

I have done extensive piston engine combustion research and we have found that milli Joules is far more important than plug components or geometry.

How much were they?

Old 12-21-2009, 03:31 AM

Good Morning Marty,
Once I get home, I have a full shop there I will measure and post the resistance here. I beleive the wire kit cost $85.00 CAD about $ 78.00 USD.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:47 AM

Good Morning Marty,
Just finished ohming out the spark plug leads at 42ohms.

Old 12-23-2009, 07:46 AM

Thanks: I'm going to measure a set of new ones and some with 100,000 miles. I looked up the Pulstar plugs and their internal construction is different. If the plugs and wires are working together to put more Joules into the early spark and flame kernal, you should see better combustion. Many of the modern automobile engines are designed for fast early slow late combustion. This is primarily done by air flow and mixture motion in the cylinder. The problem with too fast combustion is knock and or oxides of nitrogen formation.

So if you get the early flame off to a real good start, you can convert more of the total chemical energy to work. If those Pulstars are acting like a deeply extended electrode plug (that would have hit the piston otherwise) you may be getting the benefits of more spark advance without the knock and NOx.

So if I can just get my 8.1 liter Suburban up to 15 mpg.

Old 12-23-2009, 07:59 AM

Marty good luck with the Suburban, If GM makes a Hybrid Suburban one day I will buy one for my wife, currently she likes the Volt for herself but would like a Tahoe Hybrid or the Suburban for moving the family. So far operation with the Pulstars is normal, Jet 1 has had his to 90MPH and so have I only one time. I think that there maybe a limiter set a little higher than that at 100MPH or so, however I am not sure and do not really care as I very seldom get that high. Putting a plan together to look at the injectors next. I will test this theory on a old Impala we have as the Tahoe is under warranty and the Impala is not.