Android app to monitor SOC in GM hybrids ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 10:13 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Android app to monitor SOC in GM hybrids ?

I really appreciate it. It helps define a base line now before the new modules are installed.

Thank you

Old 01-03-2020, 07:14 AM
Enthusiast

Posting my CSV file from my 2013 Yukon Denali Hybrid,115k miles, original battery, never a code for battery, just curious its state. Hoping S Keith can opine, review and chart. I also charted some other info but not sure if the PIDs are right for GM. Temperature of blocks, inlet and exit temperatures, fan speed rpm, etc. Wonder if you can advise if these are accurate at all and if the temps are ok. I followed the instructions on this blog for how to test. I have switched the headlights and fog lights to LEDs (both on for test) Thanks in advance.

Attached Files
File Type: csv
2013 Yukon log 010220.csv (91.7 KB, 37 views)
Old 01-03-2020, 08:21 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hmph. I do not opine. If you read my posts, I clearly pontificate.

Seriously though...

SoC and Current on right axis
Voltages on left axis.

Conclusion: Best used GM battery I've ever seen, with caveats.

Unfortunately, the current number is hit or miss on some models/devices, and it's clearly a miss in this case. It was 0.000 most of the time, but I charted it anyway. It forms the two grey 12.7 plateaus. What it does seem to indicate is that the current reversed flow to charge instead of discharge as confirmed by the voltage/SoC response. We must conclude that current = 0.000 = discharging and current = 12.700 = charging, but the magnitude is unknown.

The transitions from discharging to charging show massive voltage fluctuations across the blocks; however, this is more likely due to the fact that there are about 3.2 seconds between readings. They are read sequentially through the set at whatever speed the BCM can handle, and it's this time delay that's responsible for the deviation as voltages are not being taken at the same time. When this sampling rate gets down to about 2/sec, the noise in the data goes away.

The only system I've seen that's worse is the Gen1 Prius - 7 seconds between data readings when querying a limited set. If you query the whole list, you get a reading every 14 seconds. It's absurd.

There's a setting in Torque under OBD2 Adapter Settings, "Faster communication." It may be worth another run with that enabled if it wasn't already enabled.

While the current numbers are meaningless, we know that charge currents are noteworthy, and even at 0.3Hz sampling, the voltage groups are tight during charges throughout the SoC range.

While the capacity is a complete unknown, I would expect the voltage response of a NEW battery to look like your chart.

Old 01-03-2020, 10:35 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
Hmph. I do not opine. If you read my posts, I clearly pontificate.

Seriously though...

SoC and Current on right axis
Voltages on left axis.

Conclusion: Best used GM battery I've ever seen, with caveats.

Unfortunately, the current number is hit or miss on some models/devices, and it's clearly a miss in this case. It was 0.000 most of the time, but I charted it anyway. It forms the two grey 12.7 plateaus. What it does seem to indicate is that the current reversed flow to charge instead of discharge as confirmed by the voltage/SoC response. We must conclude that current = 0.000 = discharging and current = 12.700 = charging, but the magnitude is unknown.

The transitions from discharging to charging show massive voltage fluctuations across the blocks; however, this is more likely due to the fact that there are about 3.2 seconds between readings. They are read sequentially through the set at whatever speed the BCM can handle, and it's this time delay that's responsible for the deviation as voltages are not being taken at the same time. When this sampling rate gets down to about 2/sec, the noise in the data goes away.

The only system I've seen that's worse is the Gen1 Prius - 7 seconds between data readings when querying a limited set. If you query the whole list, you get a reading every 14 seconds. It's absurd.

There's a setting in Torque under OBD2 Adapter Settings, "Faster communication." It may be worth another run with that enabled if it wasn't already enabled.

While the current numbers are meaningless, we know that charge currents are noteworthy, and even at 0.3Hz sampling, the voltage groups are tight during charges throughout the SoC range.

While the capacity is a complete unknown, I would expect the voltage response of a NEW battery to look like your chart.
thanks for the quick response and Pontification. I will try a new log. I did have the faster communication set. But also under logging I had Synchronous logging set for logging on full sweep of sensors. I can turn that off and set the file logging interval from .1 sec to 5 seconds in tenths. Your thoughts on which one to try?

Old 01-03-2020, 11:12 AM

IMHO best results are had with "fast" and "sync" options enabled. The settings you mention imply a very desirable level of customization, but the GM computer will thwart you. It will be evident in your first 3.3 seconds of data where you see duplicate V01 logged while it's waiting for V02 to report. Makes the data even more messy.

This is a known issue, and it's just a complication. It's mostly just a factor when there are current changes that have notable voltage responses.

The fact that you had stable voltages during a charge, which is generally constant current, indicates those sections of the chart are more indicative of the battery health than the regions of large voltage variation.

Can you give us some insight in to the history of this vehicle? Length of ownership, region, climate, terrain, driving type/style, typical mpg, etc.?

Thanks,

Steve

Old 01-13-2020, 04:50 PM
Enthusiast

Steve,
Back with a new CSV file. Can I get a spread sheet copy of both of these? Inside it I put a few questions as well. Also some background below on my vehicle per your request.
--
Can you give us some insight in to the history of this vehicle? Length of ownership, region, climate, terrain, driving type/style, typical mpg, etc.?

The 2013 GMC Yukon Denali has spent its entire life within 40 miles of the Arlington, TX plant (DFW) it was built in. I am the third owner (about 18 months).

When I bought it I found a receipt with a name on it in the manual case and called him and got the entire history and service records for the ride. Son in law advised it was babied on a ranch near Dallas by the in-laws (nope not JR Ewing). He and his wife then bought it from the parents and used it to move show dogs around to events. It had all the recommended service maintenance done on it by the dealer during the warranty period. After that he had it serviced at a local place. Synthetic oil and filter changed religiously every 8,000 miles, brakes and transmission were done at 50,000 miles nothing else.

I have since done the Iridium 100k plugs at 105,000. FYI - Plugs don't last 100k, should have been done at about 70k (see attached pic, new .040 gap and 105k plug .045 gap warn). Transmission again and front, rear differential and transfer case.
  • First owners (older couple / parents) had it from new 11/2012 until 2/2015 22,000 miles and sold it to their daughter.
    • Driving was around the ranch and to town in the Dallas area, Texas heat
  • Second owner (daughter / son in law) had it 2/2015 - 9/2018 until 85,000 miles and traded it in and I got it from the dealer it was traded at.
    • Driving was mainly highway to dogs shows in the Southwest (TX, LA, AR, NM, OK). He said 22 mpg most of the time.
  • Third owner (ME) 9/2018 - present 85,000 - 115,000 miles
    • Driving % about 65/35 Hwy/City. TX mostly but to WI, AL, TN as well. Hwy 22 mpg, mixed only 18-19 mpg (18-19 mpg is why I wondered if the hybrid battery was going) but maybe my foot is heavy in town. It does not seem to stay in Battery mode very long.

Attached Files
File Type: csv
Old 01-13-2020, 05:44 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

18.5city /18.5 highway is typical mpg with 87 octane
I use 91 octane Fuel I get about 20 city / 25mpg hyw is common the average is 23 combined over the last 11,000 miles...
last month i averaged 24.5MPG

Last edited by Tahoe_08; 01-13-2020 at 08:10 PM.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:36 PM

Older version of Excel

Currents/SOC on right Axis

C1 and C2 are the current formulas. C2 is the "other" one. C1 is "mine" (I got it from someone else on here). C2 is binary, "0" during discharge and 12.7 during charge.

C1 is increasing as voltage decreases and goes big/negative during charge. The numbers are probably wrong, but the behavior/pattern is correct is correct.

Even with higher sampling rate, I don't think you're actually getting data faster. There are still the big dV spikes with big changes in current.

Again, nothing scary here.

Old 01-13-2020, 07:53 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks Steve for the redo. So I stay happy with my battery still the best used GM battery you have seen. I did find out that my OBD2 sensor from Carista is evidently one of the slower ones with Torque Pro. If I get another one that is faster on sale sometime I will run it again.

Old 01-13-2020, 07:59 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks Tahoe 08. I’ll try 91 octane on my 1,600 mile trip next week and see if it gets better mileage.

Quick Reply: Android app to monitor SOC in GM hybrids ?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands