Chey 2009 Tahoe Hybrid Modifications Update

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 02:16 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Chey 2009 Tahoe Hybrid Modifications Update

If they did a battery upgrade program it would be the single biggest act of responsibility any manufacturer ever did. Those batteries are expensive so I don't see them giving them away or even making them available at a reasonable rate. I think you will see the
'11 or '12 with the Lithium Ion and improved electronics. But I am betting that after there are more of these on the road, someone comes up with a conversion. It will never make monetary sense but I can dream can't I?

Old 01-26-2010, 02:19 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Yes Mel I agree but we can dream

Old 02-13-2010, 05:58 PM

After 22,000Km no problems with the modifications. So far so good. Not sure what is next, would love to be a field test vehicle for GM.

Old 02-14-2010, 11:27 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kklein
KC135R,
Do you think the Tahoe and Silverado Hybrids will see a battery upgrade or will that just simply come in a new mode year?
The current battery pack is quite capable, I can't see them doing a major harwdare change like that when they are going to have an all new system in a few years. Toyota is a big fan of nickel metal, and will stick with it for a while yet. Nickel metal is analagous to your dependable role player on a team; not flashy, but a reliable, good performer. Lithium ion is like the skill position superstar; can put up bigger numbers, but is also more mercurial. Requires more attention/care and feeding to get their best game.

About upgrades, maybe you've already done this, but going to full synthetic trans fluid will probably improve trans efficiency.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:22 PM

Hi KC135R I have not done the full synthetic transmission fluid but will, is there a recommended type. Will my dealer have this? Yes I understand about the batteries and using the vehicle continually on long trips it works well and my milage is excellent. I am very happy with the vehicle and very impressed with the technology.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by kklein
Hi KC135R I have not done the full synthetic transmission fluid but will, is there a recommended type. Will my dealer have this? Yes I understand about the batteries and using the vehicle continually on long trips it works well and my milage is excellent. I am very happy with the vehicle and very impressed with the technology.
GM recommends Dextron IV ATF not synthetic. The synthetic they recommend would be on the transfercase and front and rear differential which makes sense.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:08 AM
Active Enthusiast

Ken -

It doesn't look like this has been updated for more then a year. I'd really like the hear what mileage you have been getting since you last updated.

Are the plugs holding up? Any changes to the air intake box? Any additional changes? Still running with all of the changes or have you reverted back on any of the mods?

Or maybe - I should wait for this

Last edited by LakeSilverado; 04-21-2011 at 01:04 AM.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:44 PM
Enthusiast

So, since I'm only here every couple months.... What are the upgrades you are referring to?

Also, the local dealer told me this new transmission requires the new Dexron VI synthetic, and that is what I changed mine to. As well as the synthetic gear lube for front and rear, and the synthetic Autotrac 2 fluid for the transfer case.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

I was referring mostly to the pulstar plugs and the Volant air intake. You had posted a year or more ago that you thought you had gotten 2-3 MPG improvement for each of these.

Does that still seem to be the case? From what I have read about the pulstar plugs - it looks like they do increase gas mileage - at least initially. But the benefit seems to be somewhat short lived and they may end up costing you mileage.

Have you had any issues with either of those mods? The pulsar's are reported to not be overly reliable - so wondering if you've had any trouble with those. Also, any issues with the new air box?

Going to synthetics does seem to be a way to increase MPG's, at least looking through lots of blogs on the subject. Most report about a 1 MPG gain going to synthetics.

If you still feel that mods you've made have improved MPG's - do you mind again listing what you've done and what effect you believe it has had on MPG?

A lot of your logging of miles before and after mods you discussed was very interesting, so I'm interested in hearing if the initial trends you saw are still holding up.

I'm interested in trying a few things, but my usage is much less consistent with what you were driving, so any evidence of my improved MPG's is going to be more by feel then by fact I fear.

Last edited by LakeSilverado; 04-23-2011 at 09:05 AM.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:01 AM
Enthusiast

LakeSilverado,

I would very much like to know this information as well. I just purchased a 2008 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid and was suprised to see the OP getting 26mpg.

I would love to see an update on which mods are working and the results people are seeing.

Thanks