Fluid services

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 08:48 AM
Enthusiast
Default Fluid services

Just thought I'd let everyone in on a couple things
Transmission filter is unique to the Hybrid trans and not available at auto part stores yet, dealer only. Part #19168277. It has two filters, one for the main trans, and one for the auxillary pump. The trans pan gasket it metal reinforced rubber and is re-usable. Use Dexron VI fluid, 11.5qts was a drain and refill to level for me. The transfer case should use Autotrak 2 fluid, however mine drained red not blue. They can be mixed so I just used the blue Autotrak stuff, as it is GM reccomended in auto 4WD systems. It took about 38oz, just over one quart, you'll need to buy 2. Both differentials use a synthetic gear oil, GM reccomends 80w-90, since it gets so cold here, I used readily available 75w-90. The rear differential has no drain and you either take off the cover, or suck out the fluid with the proper tools. The cover had a sealed paper gasket from the factory, but requires a reusable metal/rubber one ($47 from NAPA). I suggest getting something to suck it up with. The rear took a little over 2pts, and the front was just less than 2pts, buy 5. You will also need a hand pump to refill, Valvoline sells one at NAPA for about seven bucks, I got two so I don't have to clean it out going between transfer case fluid and gear oil.

A couple tips: The transmission pan removal requires you to pull the auxillary trans-fluid pump. It's four bolts from the bottom, and their is a paper gasket in there. I think it should come with the trans filter kit but of course doesn't. It's easy enough to get off so if it begins to leak later from being re-used I'll just change it out then. I had easy access to everything with the car on some wheel ramps. I'd suggest punching a hole in the old oil filter, it gets everywhere when you un-screw it. As with all fluid changes it's suggested to remove the fill plug first to make sure you can put fluid back in.

If anyone wants to try these services on their own, go for it. It's basic maintenance and straight forward. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them.

Last edited by kkelley; 02-17-2011 at 02:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-12-2010, 02:44 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Fluid services

So how many miles do you have on your Hybrid to make you to want to do this type of service already? Thanks.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:05 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default well...

Originally Posted by Fun Times
So how many miles do you have on your Hybrid to make you to want to do this type of service already? Thanks.
its cheap longevity insurance. I just did ALL the fluids in my yukon...at 29,000 miles. i do it every 2 years and oil every 3k. it cost $900.00......I NEVER worry about failures on the road, and as a plus my karma is intact when I sell a car to someone else!

Old 11-12-2010, 04:52 PM
Administrator

my oil changes is usually every 7-8k miles using mobil 1 5w/30 extended peformance. from looking at the service manual, maintenance interval for the tranny is 100k, differential also 100k miles. gm uses synthetic in the fluids that explains the longer intervals.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:30 AM
Enthusiast

I'm at 43k, the oil life monitor just went off, so I figured I'd do this every 4 oil cycles (8 changes for me, I will be doing an oil change every 50%). I drive my cars hard, and we see some really extreme temperature swings throughout the year (110 in the summer, -35 in the winter). According to the manual both of these are considered "extreme" by GM and require 50K mile services to the trans.