limited slip upgrade options?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 09:28 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: limited slip upgrade options?

Do we have the GM/Dodge AAM 11.5 rear end?
If so, I found a unit.
The Chrysler & GM Helical Gear Type Posi for AAM 11.5 from Yukon Gear and Axle.
This is supposedly the best design for a streetable limited slip. I have not used one, but know some who have. Peloquin makes these for VW/Audi products and warranties them for life, transferrable and includes race cars. That's some pretty serious claims.
Not sure exactly what differentail our Tahoes came with, but if it fits I'd rather have a helical gear type.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:30 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Not that big. It is an AAM axle. I believe more like 8.6" or 9.5"

Last edited by Hillbilly_Hybrid; 01-20-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:20 AM
Active Enthusiast

8.6" on the back of every hybrid.

The swap will be straight forward.

Don't change gear ratio and look for the lower number carriers (2.76-3.08)

On my short experience if you do a 50-50 driving (on-off road) the most well manner, soundless and stronger system is the Eaton Detroit Trutrac.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZmsY2YvVsc

Yukon is also great, had one no problems.

I got this guy Ron that help me out in all my gear swaps. Always the right part and great prices. He knows tons about chevys

Give him a call http://www.ronsmachiningservice.net/servlet/StoreFront

Old 07-06-2012, 04:01 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hillbilly_Hybrid
The standard locking differential in a GM 2 Mode hybrid will lock once one wheel is spinning faster than the other. NOTE: it will not lock if that speed difference takes place above about 15 mph.
I'm really glad you mentioned this. I had just assumed that I didn't have a locking differential based on observation. I am always spinning the right rear.

I dug out the window sticker, saw locking differential listed on it and added it to my list of issues for them to fix next visit. (Feel a bit stupid, but still amused by this)

A door lock actuator is going to finally make me drop the truck off for service 6 months later. Hopefully, they can fix the diff too.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:56 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I put a photo in here. The video link I posted above in this thread still works. The original design was from Eaton. They called it a No Spin. AAM uses the same style of governor and locking mechanism. Photo of unit

Last edited by Hillbilly_Hybrid; 07-06-2012 at 07:07 PM. Reason: spelling again
Old 09-07-2012, 03:22 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the picture! I looked up the old Eaton info and read up on the diff.

I really think it has been screwed up since day 1. It started whining a while ago, it finally got bad enough I knew they couldn't tell me it was normal. When they took it apart, the pinion was worn badly and there was no preload on the bearings. The worn pinion and bearings damaged the locker assembly.

They ended up replacing all the gears, bearings, and locker assembly. The truck has 27K miles on it. I'm glad it was warranty work.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

Xfordguy, I'm glad to hear the work was done under warranty! In the future, please feel free to send me a direct message anytime if you'd like me to ever contact your dealership on your behalf. I can always officially document your concerns as well!

Best,

Katie
GM Customer Service

Old 09-15-2012, 08:12 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks, Katie. I'm glad to see GM is monitoring this site and Z06vette, both of which are invaluable to me.