the Nexcell project lithium post

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2022, 06:52 AM
???
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: the Nexcell project lithium post

since he says batteries have a bit of a break in, which sounds weird but I seem to remember people saying that from the lipo rc days too. so I'll go by what he says and just drive it normally for a week. and then I'll get a log.

gotta say thou, put about 50 miles on it yesterday and not to say it wouldn't have been the same with a oem battery because I never drove one new but wow what a nice truck to drive now. just feels effortless. engine springs to life most of the time you can't even feel the change over if you're not watching the tach. if your truck is doing weird stuff at all, I'd recommend just putting a battery in it if it's older in good shape and you're going to keep it. the $ might hurt a bit upfront but trying to convince yourself it's 100 other things and wasting time and money just isn't worth it.

​​​​​I didn't try stressing the batteries to much by trying to stay in ev, (i tend to agree all the ev comes from fuel, so what's the point anyways, just let the program do its thing) but around parking lots and the low speed neighborhood it was always in ev. pops to life quickly thou. I never saw more than 17v per cell and that was only down a massive over pass at high speed braking, mostly 16.8 is the max I saw daily driving. for the low end I saw low to mid 16s mostly, once I saw a blip of 16.0 but not into the 15s. soc high was 66 low of 58.

now it wasn't stopped long enough anywhere that it re-started, way longer than before, before it would go maybe a min most, now I was in it a few minutes atleast without moving, so I'm sure it will go lower for a log. pack Temps basically never moved more than a few degrees. I believe 97 was the hottest I saw. it was 95 outside Temps.

I will get a log forsure but from what I saw, it left me wondering if gm hasn't changed the programming up to be so soft trying to get the packs to last 8y 100k that it's just not stressing them that hard now. we shall see how it plays out, but probably not surprisingly first impressions are very good driving wise.

all the sud-zero lithium stuff is well above my knowledge, so I won't comment on that stuff. all I can do is relay what I'm told is that they have tested the in prius in cold weather. whatever that means.

screen cap of right after first start is all I have right now.

Old 10-02-2022, 06:15 AM
Active Enthusiast

Interesting thread! On a side note - I didn’t know HPTuners could even access the PCM on this so far as to turn off AFM. I plugged mine in one time to monitor stuff and it threw a bunch of codes so I never plugged in again .

If we get enough people pestering them maybe they will investigate the PCM/ECM configuration. I asked them to do a fuel sector swap for my Sonoma LS6 conversion and it was as simple as an email…this may be more involved though.

Old 10-02-2022, 06:50 AM
???
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SonomaGTLS6
Interesting thread! On a side note - I didn’t know HPTuners could even access the PCM on this so far as to turn off AFM. I plugged mine in one time to monitor stuff and it threw a bunch of codes so I never plugged in again .

If we get enough people pestering them maybe they will investigate the PCM/ECM configuration. I asked them to do a fuel sector swap for my Sonoma LS6 conversion and it was as simple as an email…this may be more involved though.

they basically told me what's defined is what's defined. they don't wanna spend any time on this oddball ecm.

I asked about a VE table for tuning mid range for putting a non afm non Ackerman cycle stock truck cam in it and he said it does not have any type of ve or virtual VE and didn't respond when I asked if the ecm could adjust to the stock truck cam. so we do have access to wot pe fueling, no timing that I remember. the afm disable but it's labeled backwards haha they say gm did it that way, so they left it. just enable to then it off. tire size speedo cal and some other small stuff. I'm not sure it likes the speedo cal thou, my GPS speed and ecm speed matches but my dash read 2 mph high, so I adjusted it to dash matches GPS and I can't get it but a tick over 25 mph on battery. I have a feeling the 29mph they say at least on the newer software is what they dash is showing not real. I mean to flash it back to stock to test that but haven't. I do feel like gm over the years realized this battery will not make the factory warranty on the 08 software and have adjusted it to use it less and less to allow you to drive in a wasted battery the best they can.

oh and the fuel pump module is unlockable but it warns you it's brickable if you adjust the wrong stuff.

I'll get a battery log in the next day or so. but watching them, the voltages look more centered than the oem pack did. I've not seen below 43% soc before cracking and 65ish down hill. mostly it's been 60 and low 50s in our daily drive. voltage I've seen 15.8 for a split second and 17.1 once for just a second. it's always around 16.1-16.8. Temps got 97 once for the hottest cell, but even before the first start all the Temps didn't match. I should have wrote down the offsets since some where 2deg different but I don't remember which ones haha. but they all match most of the time and it will only be 90 here for the rest of the week. fall hasn't finally passed. I'm sick of 110deg days

I saw 170amps once in a take off and start. it seems to work the battery harder if you take off slowly in electric and then it starts, my wife drives she just hit the gas and it springs to life before even moving. either the scanner can catch it, or it's a quicker or Lower peak.

down hill I have seen about 90amp once. so if you lived in CO down mountains I can't speck to what that would charge to. around here is under a sec at that rate. mostly about 40-50 when I drive.

​​​
hook your hp back up if you can, it's interesting. I can put up my stock tune if you wanna see it too.

Old 10-02-2022, 10:49 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

LFP voltage curve is flatter than Oklahoma. SoC value is based on NiMH voltage, current and temperature, so it's completely meaningless now. Due to the flatness of the curve, you are having much larger SoC swings than the system can report.

Throttle romps are WAY worse. That's where I saw 220A on my Snap-On.

Old 10-02-2022, 12:49 PM
???
Active Enthusiast

that does make sense that SOC charge based off totally different voltage drops wouldn't be the same, I did notice there's a pid called hybrid Battery Discharge Power. I never thought it was correct math because it was mostly pegged at 30kw but it would drop down and the truck struggled worse when low and it would run the engine no matter of the state of charge if it was 0. now it says as 30kw all the time and the engine still stops and starts based off whatever. but to my untrained eye it goes off the SOC more constant then before. but like you say, the voltage doesn't swing like it did before.

even 220amp for under 3 sec seem to be within the specs listed on their site? these did have 7ah stickers on them, all the packs I've seen installed on YouTube were labeled 6.5ah. not that it's a lot, but I do wonder if he's built different packs for the different vehicles.

Old 10-02-2022, 01:05 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Discharge power is SoC based. With SoC being derived from voltage, current and temperature, it's meaningless and won't perform its intended function. This serves as a limiter for how much can be extracted from the battery. Extracting 30kW from a battery at 20% vs. one at 80% has different implications/risks, so lower SoC has lower discharge power and higher charge power. Shoving 30kW into a full battery is a good way to destroy it, so charge power will be at a minimum at high SoC.

A 5S LFP will be at a lower SoC for a given NiMH voltage as SoC decreases.

Your LFP pack will be at 15-20% true SoC at 320V resting. 240S NiMH at 320V resting is at or near full.

If you measure a NiMH GM 24 hours after a drive where the car was parked at about 50-60% SoC, battery voltage will be around 312V. 312V for LFP is about 12%.

Old 10-03-2022, 01:16 PM
???
Active Enthusiast

had some free time to grab a log today.. was driving around doing stuff for about 30mins and couldn't get it much above 62% SOC, even though I understand that's not really correct, but just as a reference. so popped the hood to keep it out of auto stop, reved to about 1800 rpm and let charge. took a good bit so this is more charged than it would on a daily, it stopped about 69% on the meter so I hit log, closed hood and turned on about a 10amp draw. took a good while to get down and that's the lowest I've seen the battery voltage. so I believe this is much more dramatic test than normal use. I might just get a random daily at some point too. but at least in a year from now I can repeat this pretty easily. it went down, started up, turned off the ac and logged till it went back into stop again. I quit logging then.

Attached Files

Last edited by ???; 10-03-2022 at 01:42 PM.
Old 10-04-2022, 06:21 PM
???
Active Enthusiast

I was searching for how to do the math, and I may have this wrong but it looks like it's pulling 3.2kw for 10mins before cranking from a 2.2kwh battery pack, so that's 3200 /6. 10mins being 1/6th of an hour, for 533watts used out of that 2.2kwh capacity. as long as it's keeping the pack within a voltage range that it's happy with, being not over charged or under charged, which it seems to be to my untrained eye. I feel like this pack might last a while. while over 100amps is a lot, and the 220amps you've seen is pushing the limits of the c rating, which in the rc world atleast c ratings are always suspect, but it is under 3secs so burst c is easier and judging by the lack of battery Temps rising while driving, I feel like these packs aren't being over used? the temp sensors are literally inside the enclosed pack, and the housing are plastic and not metal to transfer heat away, if the packs were getting hot, I think I'd see it pretty quickly. I'm not seeing any tricking of the temp sensors by where they placed them. I've not seen Temps move more than a few degrees from over night 1st start to an hour plus city driving in the 90s degree Temps. ac is on, but always on recirculate. so no special cooling is being done, even thou I have some ideas for that for next summer if I see some movement

again untrained 2 cents is often worse than not saying anything haha. but I'm pretty hopeful at this point these packs work pretty well in this application. I guess time will tell, and I'll be sure to update as time goes on as I'm very curious myself.

again can't commit on the frozen north or death valley heat or towing a trailer in the mountains. that might take everything outside its limits.

Old 10-15-2022, 10:56 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SonomaGTLS6

The Range device works no issues even though they claimed it did not work with the hybrid...

Old 12-17-2022, 06:20 PM
Enthusiast

Any update on the performance of these cells? I'm beginning to work on our company's 2011 Silverado hybrid and believe it has some bad cells. Looking to upgrade if possible.

Edit: found the custom PIDs but my OBDII adapter won't read them. New one on the way.

Thanks!

Last edited by steckrca; 12-17-2022 at 07:04 PM.

Quick Reply: the Nexcell project lithium post

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands