HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

For all you HCH I drivers with 50+ MPG...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 09:46 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: For all you HCH I drivers with 50+ MPG...

Thank you so much! I will work on that. I felt so stupid asking such elementary questions, but hey, when you don't know, ya' don't know, right?

Old 06-06-2007, 11:47 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

There is an FAQ somewhere on this forum that has a glossary of all the terms. There are many members on this forum with lots of useful tips on how to achieve higher mpg numbers. Try doing a search for FAQ and HCH driving techniques. Oh and welcome aboard.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:19 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PapaMile
A question Tim.

When we read the Snowflake graf, we see a good period at higher than 50mpg then you have an average of ... 44-45mpg. Do you know why ?

Pierre
Sorry - I'm very behind on my posts. I can't explain the spike you see. It was a great summer, but I never isolated a cause and was never able to repeat it. Just "one of those things" I suppose. I may have been a mild summer an not so much A/C.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:21 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hot_Georgia_2004
Tim this caught my eye:

Q:
How far is your typical drive? My own commute is almost 50 miles each way. If I had a shorter commute I wouldn't get near what I do. For example at about 12 miles I'm typically in the low-mid 50's. If I had to stop and park there that's what I'd get. In my case I still have +35 miles to allow it to creep up.
My commute is 23 miles each way. I suspect the out-bound trip is a bit downhill, because I always get better FE out and it sort of resets to average on the way back.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:31 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

Originally Posted by livvie
How much do the tires weigh? Compared to OEM?

Also, what size rim did you go to? 14inch? I have a set of 14inch Civic HX allow rims (I think it's 10 spoke) and have not noticed any big difference between OEM and HX rims.

The difference that I do see has more to do with the tire... HX rims has my winter set on... and OEM set has LRR tires.
The tire weight (rim and tire) went down 2.3 lbs in the new setup from OEM. I went up to 15", 195/60 as opposed to the 185/70, so it's a wider tire. The tires were LRR (according to Continental). So the diameter was the same, weight went down, width went up, and I suppose wind resistance went up. In all it was about a push, maybe a small drop from OEM.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:07 AM

Ok... width going up is bad (which you probably already know). That may explain it. The thinner the tire the better as far as FE is concerned. You want the least amount of resistance as possible. This is highlighted in road bikes. The competition wheels are ultra thin. Whereas the hybrid road bikes have thicker tires. You will notice how quick and effortless it is to maintain speed with the thinner tires (weight of bikes remaining the same) as opposed to the thicker ones.

Old 06-07-2007, 11:17 AM

Thank you for the posts MzScarlet. The only stupid questions are the ones not asked.
I drive to Linburg in Atlanta from the Hall county / Gainsville area which is about 100 miles/day. My drive in is almost exclusively freeway (I-85), and commute distance plays major role in MPG.
You'll always find me in the Right hand lane doing about the speed limits.

There are things you can do to improve your mileage and it depends allot on how much one is willing to change habits. Sounds like you're becoming one of the 1% of drivers who want to improve MPG through better driving habits. Please let us know how it goes and we are surely here to help you.

As a side note- I'd bet the Civic EX would be doing low 20's in the same driving situation.