HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Anyone else at 100k?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 06:35 AM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast
Default Re: Anyone else at 100k?

I just now noticed we have our own category (for HCH I)! Thanks to whoever did that. I was really getting tired of working my way through all the HCH II issues. I'm really anxious for us to communicate our observations - especially on threads like this were we can learn from those now getting up into the 100K+ mile range.

OK, back on topic.

Ashen - how did you know the backup battery needed replacing? You're the second person I'm aware of that had to do that. The other (forget who) correlated driving with a bad backup with had an effect on the IMA batteries.

I'm at 55K - absolutely zero work done outside oil changes and scheduled maintenance (OK, the A-pillar rattle but that was warranty). Still on original brakes, but did change the tires (because I wanted to, not because I needed to).

Old 06-17-2006, 10:01 AM
Hybrid True Believer

Originally Posted by Tim
I just now noticed we have our own category (for HCH I)! Thanks to whoever did that. I was really getting tired of working my way through all the HCH II issues. I'm really anxious for us to communicate our observations - especially on threads like this were we can learn from those now getting up into the 100K+ mile range.

OK, back on topic.

Ashen - how did you know the backup battery needed replacing? You're the second person I'm aware of that had to do that. The other (forget who) correlated driving with a bad backup with had an effect on the IMA batteries.

I'm at 55K - absolutely zero work done outside oil changes and scheduled maintenance (OK, the A-pillar rattle but that was warranty). Still on original brakes, but did change the tires (because I wanted to, not because I needed to).
Every time I do a "major" scheduled maintenance on my HCH, I always pay a little extra for the technicians to do a full load-test on the batteries (so I can keep my Hybrid Repair Log updated). So while the IMA batteries are still above 90%, the tech said that the 12v backup battery was shot. Of course, that did not surprise me. I left my lights on a few times and it drained the batteries. NiMH cells can take that kind of abuse, but PBa usually gives up the ghost on the second or third full-drain.

Old 06-20-2006, 12:17 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

Thanks - I'll have them do that the next time I'm in.

Old 06-30-2006, 06:57 AM
Enthusiast

I’m at close to 102,000 in my 2003 HCH but I purchased it used with about 99,000 on it. That is why I call it The Gamble; I’m gambling on Honda’s reputation for quality. I have been real happy so far. My MPG average is 49. I can keep it in the 50s just by being careful (not all the funky hypermiler stuff others do) but my wife just drives (and has a little bit of a heavy foot) which keeps the average mileage at 49 (she gets about 46 to my 52).

I replaced the plugs not long after I got it. They were VERY clean (i.e. all deposits looked normal) but I have to assume they had been in there a while because they were pitted on the leads (not being a mechanic I don’t know the correct terminology – I am trying to say that the metal had been eaten away where the spark hit repeatedly for thousands and thousands of miles).

Regarding tires: I had to go on a trip right after buying the thing and the tires were pretty bad, so I got new ones, but no one had the special ones in stock. I got standard Bridgestone Insignia SE200 (at least I don’t think they are special high FE tires). The ride got a lot better (softer, quieter) and the FE didn’t seem to suffer much, if at all. But it was in the spring when the weather was still cold. I don’t know what mileage I could have gotten on high FE tires in warmer temps. I keep them just above “door speck” air pressure (about 36-38 psi) the sidewall is 44psi.

I REALLY hope that the battery lasts on this thing. I got it with all the miles to keep the price down. If I have to drop $4000 for new batteries I think I won’t hear the end of it from my wife. Anyway, it seems to charge and discharge normally, but I don’t have anything to compare it to. Are there late model warranties that would cover it?

kernk

Old 07-01-2006, 08:31 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kernk
I’m at close to 102,000 in my 2003 HCH but I purchased it used with about 99,000 on it. That is why I call it The Gamble; I’m gambling on Honda’s reputation for quality. I have been real happy so far. My MPG average is 49. I can keep it in the 50s just by being careful (not all the funky hypermiler stuff others do) but my wife just drives (and has a little bit of a heavy foot) which keeps the average mileage at 49 (she gets about 46 to my 52).

I replaced the plugs not long after I got it. They were VERY clean (i.e. all deposits looked normal) but I have to assume they had been in there a while because they were pitted on the leads (not being a mechanic I don’t know the correct terminology – I am trying to say that the metal had been eaten away where the spark hit repeatedly for thousands and thousands of miles).

Regarding tires: I had to go on a trip right after buying the thing and the tires were pretty bad, so I got new ones, but no one had the special ones in stock. I got standard Bridgestone Insignia SE200 (at least I don’t think they are special high FE tires). The ride got a lot better (softer, quieter) and the FE didn’t seem to suffer much, if at all. But it was in the spring when the weather was still cold. I don’t know what mileage I could have gotten on high FE tires in warmer temps. I keep them just above “door speck” air pressure (about 36-38 psi) the sidewall is 44psi.

I REALLY hope that the battery lasts on this thing. I got it with all the miles to keep the price down. If I have to drop $4000 for new batteries I think I won’t hear the end of it from my wife. Anyway, it seems to charge and discharge normally, but I don’t have anything to compare it to. Are there late model warranties that would cover it?

kernk
This should make you feel better.....

Also noted this quote: "The testing also dispelled a persistent myth that the rechargeable batteries need to be frequently replaced. Francfort originally thought their battery evaluations would "go to 100,00 miles because that's how long the batteries are under warranty. The batteries were working so well, we thought we'd go further." They finally settled on 160,000 miles. Evaluations showed that the rechargeable batteries lasted to 160,000 miles with no effect on fuel economy."

Old 07-02-2006, 08:09 AM
Hybrid True Believer

Actually, the thing that's really hurt my car lately isn't degredation of the batteries, but the gawd-awful gasoline reformulation they use in Maryland these days. I used to get about 45 MPG and now I get 38 MPG.

But I know it's not the CAR. On a trip to Virginia two weeks ago, I got 40 MPG on the way down and 53 MPG on the way up. The difference? I completely empried the tank of Baltimore gasoline and filled up with Virginia gasoline.

Yeah... The Baltimore gasoline is some kind of ethanol blend that the HCH positively *hates*.

Old 09-11-2006, 07:03 AM
Active Enthusiast

Just a neat pic. Still running great, if not better than ever! Consistantly getting over 50mpg.

Old 09-11-2006, 08:20 AM
2004 HCH-I Owner

I got my best FE in recent memory when I filled up in Virgina. I drove down to DC and got my standard 42 MPG from Massachusetts gas. I had to fill up in Maryland on the way down, and drove around DC a bit, but then I topped off with Virginia gas on the way back and almost got a 600 mile tank out of it. They ought to ship some of that VA gas up here to New England.

Originally Posted by AshenGrey
Actually, the thing that's really hurt my car lately isn't degredation of the batteries, but the gawd-awful gasoline reformulation they use in Maryland these days. I used to get about 45 MPG and now I get 38 MPG.

But I know it's not the CAR. On a trip to Virginia two weeks ago, I got 40 MPG on the way down and 53 MPG on the way up. The difference? I completely empried the tank of Baltimore gasoline and filled up with Virginia gasoline.

Yeah... The Baltimore gasoline is some kind of ethanol blend that the HCH positively *hates*.

Old 12-01-2006, 09:05 PM
Enthusiast

Actually kernk you arent as much of a gambler as me and my girlfriend.

We just bought a 2003 Civic Hybrid with 165,000 miles on it. It needs a new catalyitic converter, but is otherwise in great shape. Come on honda, dont let ME down!

Old 12-01-2006, 09:27 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Let us know how it goes, wow that's high for an 03.

Quick Reply: Anyone else at 100k?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands