HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Anyone else at 120,000 miles?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 05:30 PM
Think green.
Default Re: Anyone else at 120,000 miles?

ChesapeakeTechie,
I ordered a service manual for my '04, and it arrived in the mail today.
I checked the maintenance schedule (minimum required maint.) and it says to inspect the valve clearance every 110,000 miles, otherwise adjust only if noisy.

Last edited by Gairwyn; 09-19-2007 at 05:33 PM.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:34 AM
Active Enthusiast

Here's the link to some pics of my valve adjustment on my '04 HCH MT:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...95/index2.html

Old 09-20-2007, 02:50 PM
Think green.

Wow, I took a look at the link...very impressive. Great photos and explanations too.

I have a really general question for you.
When working on the hybrid, I've read where you may need to wear special insulating gloves and either disconnect the 12-v battery and/or turn off the IMA battery. How do you know which procedures you can do "normally" versus taking the above precautions?
I noticed some sand sitting in certain places in my engine compartment (my guess is it just comes in from below), and was wondering if it's safe to attempt cleaning it out, either with a brush or by using a vacuum with mini-attachments, being careful not to touch anything "iffy". If it's too dangerous, I will just ask the dealership to take a look at it when I go in for my 30,000 mile maintenance appointment.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:34 AM
Active Enthusiast

I wouldn't worry about 'hitting the juice" inside the engine bay. I'd certainly avoid direct spray with the Big Orange Cable. Use the low-power spray wash inside your engine bay. I've washed it out several times, as it does get very dirty in there, due to no wheel wells is my guess.

Old 09-24-2007, 12:34 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gairwyn
ChesapeakeTechie,
I ordered a service manual for my '04, and it arrived in the mail today.
I checked the maintenance schedule (minimum required maint.) and it says to inspect the valve clearance every 110,000 miles, otherwise adjust only if noisy.
Would you mind posting the maintenance schedule? Is it the same as what is in the owner's manual?

Have you done any oil changes yourself? Anyone know if Jiffy Lube or the like can do oil changes for the HCH I?

Old 09-24-2007, 01:24 PM
Think green.

Originally Posted by ChesapeakeTechie
Would you mind posting the maintenance schedule? Is it the same as what is in the owner's manual?
Have you done any oil changes yourself? Anyone know if Jiffy Lube or the like can do oil changes for the HCH I?
I just got my used HCH I in June; haven't had the oil changed yet. I used to take my old car to Jiffy Lube, but I don't know if they carry the 0W-20 oil that is suggested for Civic hybrids.
I don't do my own car maintenance, since I'm no way qualified for that; my brother was an auto mechanic, and I take an interest in it, but never did any of it myself (being that I'm a girl...not that that's any excuse). I've always bought the service manuals for my cars, just in case I need more detailed info about them.
I compared the maintenance schedule in the owner's manual to the one in the service manual, and all the items and time/mileage intervals appear to be the same. The service manual just has a little more detail describing some of the items.
Wish you'd asked about posting those pages from the service manual before my daughter went back to college; I have a scanner here, but don't know how to use the dang thing. The maintenance schedules are the same as what you see in the owner's manual however. You could also see maintenance schedules for your particular year vehicle if you go to www.owners.honda.com and register/sign in to the owner link. It doesn't cost anything.

Old 09-24-2007, 01:46 PM
Think green.

Originally Posted by cbxtc6
I wouldn't worry about 'hitting the juice" inside the engine bay. I'd certainly avoid direct spray with the Big Orange Cable. Use the low-power spray wash inside your engine bay. I've washed it out several times, as it does get very dirty in there, due to no wheel wells is my guess.
Thanks. I was able to vacuum it out with my mini-vacuum attachments. I was getting spooked by the Big Orange Cable, and I eventually found it easier to reach the sand from the side, through the wheel wells. It had accumulated to the sides of this bar that runs sideways in the engine compartment; I think it's a stabilizer bar. It has holes on either end, and sand had gone a little bit into the bar from each side. I didn't want to spray it further inward, so I sucked it out with the vacuum.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

As long as you're not taking the connectors off, I wouldn't worry about the cable. I've power washed my engine bay many times. There's two levels of factory recommended service. I know for the 5 speed, it's tranny at 60k for severe and 120k for normal service. I don't remember beyond that.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:08 AM
Enthusiast

I've also just passed the 120k mile mark on my 2003 HCH. I'm also getting 42/47 gas mileage. I've just finished a computer up date re-call. and now I need to replace the E.C.U. valve. Its has been a pain to have to go to the dealer every time. They almost hit me with replacing the catalytic converter. I chose to researched on the web and one year later. I found out that it was on re-cal. But my dealer did not see any re-call on there computer system for my car. I waited it out and come to find out year later. I get a letter in the mail saying my car was on re-call the computer need updating for a false code for the catalytic converter. and offering me a re-fund if I did replace the Catalytic converter. So it was a computer malfunction. I wish I could find a mechanic that could work on my car in North Florida. Is there anything on line where the "do it your self" can get tip and help on maintaining your own HCH? I'd really would appreciated any info. thanks

Old 10-09-2007, 10:18 AM
Active Enthusiast

There's really not much to maintain. The car is pretty much a Honda Civic. Oil changes and tranny flushes are a piece of cake. The EGR valve is held on by two bolts. (easy) About the only thing I wouldn't touch would be the IMA components.

I'm at 125,000 miles and she runs like a champ. The IMA battery did go out at 122,000 miles but is covered under warranty and was replaced.

Howard

Quick Reply: Anyone else at 120,000 miles?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands