HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Battery Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 09:29 AM
Master Commander
Default Battery Problems

Hey Guys,

I own at 2005 HCH and got it in early Jan '06. I have less than 20,000 miles on it, but I live in Chicago where it gets pretty darn cold during the winter. My problem is that I keep coming to my car (after about 2-3 days or so) and I am unable to turn my engine on.

I found when I turned off my A/C or heater **** to the off position, I am able to turn the engine, but it still doesn't start. I have to get someone to jump start me for about 2 seconds and the car starts up fine again. It's a constant problem and I do not know what's going on. Also, the battery meter is good and my stereo and everything turns on just fine (even the door locks work).

Can anyone help me?

Peace,
Scott K.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:35 PM
Think green.
Default Re: Battery Problems

I'm wondering if the car would start if you tried to do so every day instead of every 2-3 days. Maybe letting it sit unused in such cold weather is part of the problem?

Old 02-14-2008, 07:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hi,

Bring it to dealer, I live in Montreal which is cold not the coldest place on earth, but it gets cold. -4f or -30Celcius. I don't use my car on sunday and monday, on tuesday even when it's very cold like 0 degre f, it starts. If it gets very cold I just hear the starter cranking and it starts. So I really think you have a problem. Maybe you 12v battery is weak.

Good luck

Old 02-15-2008, 06:35 PM
Active Enthusiast

I would second that... time for a new battery. Take it in to get it tested.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:10 PM
Nouveau Performance

I would third the notion about the battery. If you don't remember the last time you replaced the 12V side of the system, now would probably be a good time to consider replacing it. Another thing to consider is whether or not everything turns off when it is supposed to. Dome lights and door locks are easy to test because you can see them. Test your trunk light (if you have one) and glovebox light (also if you have one) to ensure they turn off when the switch is tripped.

Three things to remember when buying a battery.
1: Buy from a nationally recognized chain that has a nationally recognized warranty.
2: Make sure the installer attaches a cheater box to your car before he/she unhooks your old battery. (this keeps your security system and anti-theft radio from going crazy)
(a cheater box is any item than can provide a 12v source to the car while the battery is being changed)(it is sometimes known as a "memory saver"
3: If the installer does not know what a cheater box/memory saver is, ask for someone who does, if none of them know, thank them for their time, and go to the next store on your list.

Old 02-27-2008, 04:45 AM
Enthusiast

Hi everyone. I've just joined the forum. I've just bought a HCH 2005 ( here in the UK) and am new to hybrids.
On this thread, there is talk of a starter motor. I thought that the IMA drive motor started the engine. I didn't think there was a 12v starter motor on it.
( I take delivery on 1st March so I can't take a look yet ! )

Keith.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hi keith,

congratulation for you new purchase, very good choice.

About the starter, there is one with the civic in case of the very cold day.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:15 PM
Master Commander

Thanks everyone for the help.

I went to PepBoys today and they helped me to pick out a 12V battery.

The one they had was an Engerizer battery and label 51R (for size). It come packed with 500 cold cranking amps (for whatever that does) and so it'll start me up in the coldest of winters. Anyway, it cost me around $70 and comes with a 2 year replacement, 4 year repair warranty.

It would have been another $10 to get them to install it. I had the tools and so I went ahead and did it myself and it was fairly easy after you take the guard off the battery.

Also, you get another $10 off if you bring in ditch you old battery there.

After I took off my old battery and returned it to them, I had it tested. Dead, dead, dead. Thanks for all the advice and now my car works just fine.

This forum is great. Best of luck to you all.