Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Battery problems, GM

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 04:08 AM
Engineering first
Default Battery problems, GM

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/...3_FORTUNE5.htm
DETROIT (Dow Jones)- General Motors Corp. (GM)'s slowed production of its Chevrolet and Saturn gasoline-electric vehicles as it deals with a battery problem that has also forced a recall.
The auto maker is attempting to balance a limited supply of replacement batteries between building the 2008 hybrid versions of the Saturn Vue sport- utility vehicle, Saturn Aura sedan and Chevy Malibu while recalling and fixing the 2007 versions, GM spokesman Tom Wilkinson said.
"The cars can still be driven but the battery packs lose power defeating the purpose of having a hybrid," Wilkinson said. GM, the largest U.S. auto maker, has sold more than 2,000 hybrids this year amid rising consumer demand.
Cobasys, a joint venture started by Energy Conversion Devices Inc. (ENER) and Chevron Corp. (CVX), is the supplier of the batteries. Automotive News reported the battery problem earlier Monday.
In some of my work I'm gaining experience with NiMH batteries and realize how devilish they can be. It really does take a dedicated computer and sophisticated software to keep them healthy and productive. Worse, Cobasys has demonstrated some 'practices' that strongly suggest they have real internal problems. It is as if Cobasys gets 90% of it right then management "snatches defeat from the jaws of victory." I've seen such business practices in the past ... as I turned in my resignation to find a healthy company.

This is a hard problem that I would not wish on anyone.

Bob Wilson

Old 06-04-2008, 06:47 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Battery problems, GM

Ordinarily, I'd just see this as yet another excuse not to ever buy another GM product and another example of how their "quality" has "improved" by leaps and bounds. The reason GM's most recent failure should matter to all hybrid owners is b/c things like this only add fuel to the fires of anti-hybrid folks and reinforce urban legends about unreliable batteries, big repair costs down the road once out of warranty, and general unreliability. It's unfortunate for those who purchased the vehicles and I really just wish GM could get it right, just once... Maybe with the Volt, just maybe...

Old 06-04-2008, 10:11 AM
MPG FANATIC WITH GUZZLERS

Bob,
I know what you mean.In many companies most of the employees and the management absolutely "know" that quality is JOB ONE. However,there is frequently someone who is a hatchet type man who has the ear of upper management who wants to shade the quality vs cost equation waaaaay in favor of cheap cost.The cheapout almost always is a short term cost saver that ends up costing the company in the end-maybe in $$ or market share, or jobs lost.Tricky!
Charlie

Old 06-06-2008, 05:01 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

If Honda & Toyota lacked hybrid sales for the last 8 years due to shrewd skepticism over new technology, and they are the brands with the high reliability, then the above battery problems should be expected rather than a surprise. GM doesn't get to sit on the sidelines like so many others for the past decade, then suddenly jump in and roll-back the time for catch-up and success. I think GM can make it work, but it's going to take time.

Old 06-08-2008, 04:29 PM
Enthusiast

Medicmike, totally agree with you. After watching the movie "who killed the Electric car" I have gone from always buying GM to probably never again. You are right, it seems GM is always looking for excuses as to why FE vehicles are a bad idea. My interest in Toyota and somewhat Honda is growing daily. Hat's off to them.