HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Steering wanders on 03 civic

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2021, 12:24 AM
Enthusiast
Default Steering wanders on 03 civic

hi everyone, I am a new member looking for some help with my new civic.
I found a few steering threads on steering issues. But this is kind of weird,I bought the car at a city auction and it only had 38,000 miles on the clock.
It had a dead 12 volt battery so I bought a low budget battery and started driving it. The problem I’m having is that the car wanders. It just needs constant correcting.
I checked the car out and couldn’t find anything
wrong with the suspension and there were no worn parts . A tire rotation made no difference. A search turned up a couple identical complaints. One guy said he can live with it but it’s particularly bothersome on long drives.Another took several trips to the dealer where the lead tech said it was a problem and the service manager said it was normal. After being persistent,the shop replaced the rack and pinion and the control module and it was fixed. My friend has the same car and the steering is normal. This one turns smoothly but especially on the freeway, it just wanders and needs constant small corrections to keep going straight. There is no play in the wheel, it’s tight like all Honda’s that I have had. There are no codes,relearn procedures, centering procedures, just nothing to even try. Does anyone have any thoughts ? I am sure this problem is unique to electronic hybrid systems and I would really appreciate any thoughts or comments from someone who understands how the electric motor and module work together with the rack, and any experiences with working on this system.

Last edited by Philfjord; 08-04-2021 at 12:36 AM.