HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

2006 HCH Tire Performance In Winter

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 08:23 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default 2006 HCH Tire Performance In Winter

For those of you who have driven your 2006 HCH in icy conditions, how would you rate the stock tires, compared with other All Season tires?

I drove in icy conditions the other day and despite being extremely careful, I found myself sliding at a 45 degree angle when attempting to make a right turn. However, since this is my first car, as well as the first time I've driven any car in winter, I have no idea if different tires would have made a significant difference.

Old 11-30-2006, 08:35 PM
Eco Accelerometrist
Default Re: 2006 HCH Tire Performance In Winter

Winter tires are absolutely necessary for anyone driving in snow and ice. If you value your safety and that of others you'll consider getting a good set of winter tires installed.

Please check this thread

The original tires were designed to offer little rolling resistance but they have particularly bad adhesion to the road at lower temperatures. They are even worse in icy surfaces.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 11-30-2006, 09:12 PM
Energy Independence

First car, hmm? Congrats on a fine choice

Ice is about the worst road conditions possible. Very dangerous. All-season tires are barely passable (at best) in snow, and of nearly no value in ice. Low rolling resistance tires make the tires even worse in cold, icy conditions. If you drive in theses conditions much at all, you *must* get winter tires.
Many people that get winter tires get a spare set of wheels to go along with them. That way, the costs of swapping out tires (and rebalancing) twice a year are gone, and so is the extra wear-n-tear on the wheels (from the salted roads, from the moisture, and from the scrapes of the tire-changing machines and their operators).
I'm fortunate in that I see ice and snow about two days a year (one was today, although no issues at all - just a light snow-dusting). If I lived much further north, though, I'd have a winter set of tires and wheels.

Old 12-01-2006, 07:28 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Especially with the lack of any traction or stability control. Please consider snow tires -- Bridgestone Blizzaks are the best, IMO.

Old 12-01-2006, 08:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

I could not agree more with the aforementioned.

I purchased my HCHII in November of 2005 (our winter season begins in November) and the all seasons "stock" seemed okay during that season but I had nothing to compare too.

This winter I noticed particularily in comparison to our Oddessy which has Winter tires the difference in traction.

I just purchased (2 weeks ago) a set of 4 winter tires for the HCHII and again very noticable difference in traction.

I am a fan of using Winter tires in winter conditions and highly recommend it over the "factory" all seasons. Having said that I beleive the factory all seasons are low end and for the "tight" budget individual you can pick up much better high end all seasons that will have an impact.

Me personally "Michellin Artic Ice" are the champ followed closely by the speed rated "Pilot".

Cheers!!

Old 12-01-2006, 08:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

this is my 1st snow w/my HCH2 and noticed it handled as any other front wheel drive car. DECENT. ABS worked really well. Im uncertain how much more snow tires can help it out. Im considering buying some after my experience today in the parking lot. However, there were a bunch of cars and SUV that couldnt make it in either so I dont feel as bad.

Driving short distances in that 2nd gear does help grip better. I accidentally revved up over 4 or 5 thousand RPM because i forgot i had it there.

Old 12-01-2006, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by vincep5
this is my 1st snow w/my HCH2 and noticed it handled as any other front wheel drive car. DECENT. ABS worked really well. Im uncertain how much more snow tires can help it out. Im considering buying some after my experience today in the parking lot. However, there were a bunch of cars and SUV that couldnt make it in either so I dont feel as bad.

Driving short distances in that 2nd gear does help grip better. I accidentally revved up over 4 or 5 thousand RPM because i forgot i had it there.
When I first switched to the Blizzaks I felt like a tank in the snow. You'll wonder why you waited.

Old 12-01-2006, 01:24 PM

Ummm... snow? Ice? What's that?

Sorry, couldn't resist! It's 70F here today!

Old 12-01-2006, 01:55 PM

You may want to think about earthquake tires.

Old 12-01-2006, 04:20 PM
Enthusiast

Last month I installed Michelin X snow tires on my HCII. Immediately the fuel economy went from 4.3 litres/100km to 5.7 (Canada). The 4.3 was only obtained when I was driving very mindful of all the methods discussed on this site. The same care only gave me 5.7 afer theX tires were installed.

This is NOT a criticism of the X tires...they are doing what they are supposed to do.
This difference does underline the low rolling resistance of the OEM tires, but if you have to drive in snow and ice, those low resistance qualities can work against you. I totally agree with the previous posts.

Quick Reply: 2006 HCH Tire Performance In Winter

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands