HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

2006 HCHII battery failure

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 06:46 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2006 HCHII battery failure

I just received the ok from braman to get a replacement battery at 43,000 miles. Makes you worry if they might do some updates on the computer system on the car and render it agas hog. Originally got high 46-48 mpg. Now the last month avg 38- 42 mpg. Did your mileage get better after the replacement?

Old 10-28-2009, 05:21 PM
Enthusiast

It's still too early to tell about mileage--have only filled up half a tank since the replacement. I'm thinking the new tires have had as much effect as anything else.

Old 12-23-2009, 06:54 AM
Enthusiast

Good Morning All,
I really need to vent in how disappointed I am with Honda Motor Company and my 06 Civic Hybrid. I have been in the automotive industry and employed by a domestic manufacturer in the technical end of things for over thirty years and I have never been so frustrated with the lack of lack of customer service and product reliability by the once almighty and powerful Honda Corporation.

The only reason we purchased this automobile is so my wife that I love dearly could drive in the rideshare lane by herself to and from work on the busy Southern California freeways. Of course the mileage helps with gas at the price it is at but that is secondary. About 1 1/2 years into our ownership my wife had concerns about a lack of power, low battery state, and forced regens. This was going on during the hot socal summer and I started working with my dealer on this concern but I was advised all is normal.

To make a long story short and after many dealer visits we are at the 3 1/2 year ownership point. I have bought my wife a Escape Hybrid to drive because I do not feel safe or confident with her in the Civic trying to drive on the freeway and losing the battery, you might as well be driving in deep sand, very unsafe! I have had all the updates, patches, reflashes done and the car is still miserable to drive. I did meet with the Honda Parts and Service Director for our area to voice my concerns and he listened to my concerns and said all we need is a IMA light to come on and we could replace the IMA battery, sweet!

We left for a trip to Arizona last week and the Honda sat all week as we took our Escape on the trip. When we arrived home I jumped in the Honda to go to the grocery store and as usual instead of using the IMA motor to start the engine the standard starter cranked her over and the engine started but to my great surprise the IMA light came on! I was never so happy to see a light come on. I plugged in my scan tool and pulled a P0A7F "IMA Battery Deterioration" and went to the dealer right away praying the light would stay on which it did. The dealer took it in and to my surprise I recieved a call later in the day that Honda would not replace my battery but install another patch and give that a try.......

I picked up the vehicle the next day and lost all battery power within 1 mile of the dealer and the vehicle performed a regen. It also still uses the standard starter motor to start the engine. I let the dealer know and they said nothing can be done unless the IMA light comes back on.

Sorry again for the long letter but it has been a long 3 1/2 years and 33 thousand miles of ownership of a vehicle that was produced by a once great manufacturer. I have owned many previous Honda's over the years and stil have 3 Honda motorcycle's. It appears there are many other folks in the same boat as I am.
Have a Merry Christmas, Jack

Old 12-23-2009, 05:06 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

jeb858: I'd try another dealer. If after going through a few dealers and you still have issues, maybe you might be able get the car replaced or bought back under the "lemon law" (http://www.ag.ca.gov/consumers/general/lemon.php).

Since you're in CA, you should have a 10 year/150K mile warranty on the HV battery and 10 to 15 years/150K miles on many of the hybrid components.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:23 AM
Enthusiast

I'd like to ask for advice. I have a 2006 HCH with 87,500 miles. I was getting poor (39 avg mpg) mileage for last year or so, with power dropouts (re-cals?) every few days. I then got the IMA light (Code PA07F - IMA Battery Deterioration) a few days ago and took it to the dealer. They did the service bulletin update (not sure exactly what was done) and recommended to replace the battery (out of warranty which ended at 80,000 miles) for $2500. I asked to dealer to appeal to Honda Motors since it was just slightly over the warranty mileage. Honda was willing to give relief to the tune of $1000, so now the choices are:

A) Pay $1500 and get a new battery pack.
B) Drive it like it is (I got 50 mpg on the one mostly highway trip of 30 miles so far on the updated controller software).
C) Make additional appeals to Honda to get more of the battery paid for.

Advice?

Old 01-26-2010, 12:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

Lets take your points...

A) Pay $1500 and get a new battery pack.

I don't know what your cash situation is but this is a good option because it will allow you to sell the car anytime. If you like it drive for another 80k.

B) Drive it like it is (I got 50 mpg on the one mostly highway trip of 30 miles so far on the updated controller software).

OK, but whould you really be happy with the car? Would you be able to sell or junk it if your not happy?

C) Make additional appeals to Honda to get more of the battery paid for.

You can always try. It depends on how much "good will" you have left.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:20 PM
Enthusiast

I went with options A and C. The replacement battery came in a few days and got replaced in a few hours, costing me $1400 out of pocket. Back to good mileage. I have still have a case open with Honda to try to get more off of the replacement and a longer warranty on the replacement IMA battery (which is only 3 yr/36k miles). I'm sure there are many cases like mine that might surface if the early IMA battery problems get more attention from NHTSA or legal action.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:39 AM
Enthusiast

For those who was able to get a battery replacement under warranty, what was the process like?

I have a 06 and I have had many of the same symptoms and my IMA light came on with P0A7F error code. According to the dealer Honda requires that they apply several software updates first and if the error code still comes up then Honda will allow a battery replacement.

Is this the same process that you guys went through?

Old 09-29-2012, 05:20 PM
Active Enthusiast

My 2006 Civic Hybrid just hit the 155,000 mark. I had the Catalytic converter replaced over a week ago and the check engine light has stayed out thus far. The following weekend the IMA light came on for 5min and then went out. This was the first time it came on while driving. I have been having hard starts in the mornings and the IMA battery goes from full bars to two bars after I drive 1/4 mile. Then it starts to charge itself back up to a full charge after a few miles. My gas mileage has dropped to 28mpg in the city/highway and its no where near the average I received last year which was 40mpg city/highway. I had the muffler shop check the code and it was throwing PA07F "Hybrid Battery Deterioration" This is the first major issue that I have had with this car since I bought it from a friend with 60,000 miles. The car is in mint condition and I would like to keep it as long as possible. If that means a couple thousand $$$ to replace the battery for another 150,000, I'm all in. I live in Pittsburgh, PA and don't know if there is anywhere I could find a used battery to replace mine or just go to my local Honda dealer and see what they will charge. Anyone have any suggestions from experience?

Attached Thumbnails 2006 HCHII battery failure-ima.jpg  
Old 10-11-2012, 03:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

Just had my 2006 Civic Hybrid inspected today. Around 155,000 Miles and all it needed was brake pads. Its only the 2nd set its ever needed so it wasn't a shock. Always a great feeling!!!

I also asked about the cost of a replacement IMA battery. The Dealer quoted me $2295.60 for the IMA battery and $164.00 for labor. $2459.60 isn't a bad price to pay if I can get another 80,000 miles out of the car. It would definitely improve my MPG back up to the 40's instead of the 29MPG that I'm getting City/Highway. I did forget to ask about the IMA warranty and any other parts that commonly need replaced with the IMA battery.
Will post more details later.