HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

23 MPG...What the...!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 01:33 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 23 MPG...What the...!!!

I got some funny looks from my neighbors when they see me just start and go in freezing weather in my new car. Like most others to prevent too much wear when it's cold I just don't press on the accelerator at all til I'm out of the apartment complex. I live way in the back of mines and there are speed bumps everywhere so it's not like you can go fast anyway, you can actually get up to around 15mph without stepping on the gas while doing this.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:04 PM
Enthusiast

Folks,

Warming up an engine of course uses some gas especially as it the FI runs richer and keeps the idle speed higher. However -- in general, an idling car uses almost no gas, so I would not worry about this as much as people say. I would imagine that even if the "auto off" feature were disabled, the real impact on gas mileage even in city driving would be very low.

Also, many would argue that it is better to get the oil warmer and circulated before loading the engine too much.

Dobe

Old 02-13-2007, 04:06 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by Doberwiler
Folks,

Warming up an engine of course uses some gas especially as it the FI runs richer and keeps the idle speed higher. However -- in general, an idling car uses almost no gas, so I would not worry about this as much as people say. I would imagine that even if the "auto off" feature were disabled, the real impact on gas mileage even in city driving would be very low.

Also, many would argue that it is better to get the oil warmer and circulated before loading the engine too much.

Dobe
OK, fair enough. So maybe that is really how you feel and there really is no point insisting otherwise. OK.

But this is still a public forum and it is important to once again, demonstrate to most folks reading this thread why idling a vehicle is never a good thing. Idling is bad for the vehicle, the environment and ultimately from a variety of angles: its owner.
Please check the following links if you have any doubts:

Myths about idling.
http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/communities-g...ths.cfm?attr=8

Idling wastes money
http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/transportatio...?attr=8#wastes

Idling is not good for the engine
http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/transportatio...tr=8#newsflash

Now, like I said, it is still your choice to idle or not. I just hope most folks reading this thread will understand why it hurts a lot more than it helps.

Cheers;

MSantos