HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Buying Honda Civic Navi aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 07:47 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Buying Honda Civic Navi aftermarket

I bought the Tomtom 300 to save the $1500 it would have been extra for the manu's navi. I put it in the little triangle window between the front and side windows.

I can add POIs that I create using google earth or maps.google.com
I've also added voices that were available online.

I bought the tomtom because it uses a bluetooth cellphone to download traffic so I can avoid as much gridlock as possible in Southern California.

Old 03-30-2006, 07:51 AM
Proud owner HCHII

Security warning! Be very careful with removable navi systems, that you do just that and lock them and their mountings away when not in use. Villains are smashing glass to take them - more attractive now than laptops and easy to trouser!

Old 03-30-2006, 05:34 PM
Energy Independence

Originally Posted by Tulip
Security warning! Be very careful with removable navi systems, that you do just that and lock them and their mountings away when not in use. Villains are smashing glass to take them - more attractive now than laptops and easy to trouser!
Yes, indeed!

Long ago, I had a driver's window smashed just to get the radar detector I had left on the windshield.

Try to remember to hide it, so you get to keep it!

Old 04-04-2006, 10:07 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

We only waited a week between placing the order for the car and getting it, but our dealer said he called every dealer around and we got the last Nav car in 4 states. Not having to wait made paying the full$24,200 MSRP less painful.

I've used a Garmin StreetPilot for years. One thing about the built-in system: it has a gyroscopic yaw sensor and monitors the car's speed, so it can dead-reckon your location, even without a satellite signal. (Great for NY, with all of our tunnels.)

Old 06-17-2006, 05:28 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I really like the Pioneer AVIC Z1. I had the AVIC D1 in my CR-V and it was great. You can even add XM to it and it is a lot cheaper. The AVIC Z1 does everything...it has navigation, voice activated/command, bluetooth, dvd player, rear view camera...i think this is far superior over the OEM. But, OEM is OEM and that is what makes it good.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-xYrqnU8...z1&i=130AVICZ1

Old 08-02-2006, 09:56 PM
Enthusiast

Doesn't fit the CHII 2006, according to their site.

Old 08-03-2006, 03:50 AM
Active Enthusiast

I wouldn't sell the aftermarket units short. IMHO, they would be as good if not better. I have the factory Navi, just traded in a 2005 Jeep GC with a factory Alpine Navigation unit as well, and neither one of them is really as good as my Dell Axim X50v with Garmin G10 Bluetooth unit. The data base is much better and the voice commands are also better. I think overall Garmin makes the best systems from what I have seen. You can get dedicated units for $500-$750, but they are not the entire entertainment system type units with CD, radio, etc. For about $1500, though you should be able to get a kick butt Pioneer system. Lastly, you are crazy if you still buy electronics from local brick an mortar stores. I have probably saved $4000 last year alone buying stuff from reputable on-line dealers. Buy it on-line and install it yourself. If you don't know how, ask someone on-line or get a friend to help. There are several Honda aftermarket parts that give you the detailed dash removal step necessary to install the entire system. Here is a link to some units from Etronics http://www.etronics.com/listproducts...pc=&prod_type=
I am not sure how good they are, but I know some of them have back up camera options, Bluetooth, etc. Somebody here posted about a Pioneer unit a few days ago.

Dave

Old 08-03-2006, 05:31 AM
Active Enthusiast

Take a look at this thread:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...stem.8822.html