HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Is cat converter stealing a thing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2021, 06:30 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Is cat converter stealing a thing?

Friends in the Prius world have been suffering a lot of thefts of catalytic converters, and are installing plates to deter that.

Is this something I need to worry about with my HCHII? My guess is that the Prius converter is a lot more accessible for the sleazebags, but thought I’d ask.....

Old 04-27-2021, 10:32 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Is cat converter stealing a thing?

Prius cat can be cut out very easily. HCH2 is mounted much higher and difficult to remove w/o opening hood.

Prius cats are also extremely valuable due to their high precious metals content. Legitimate scrap value is >$1,000

Old 05-19-2021, 09:01 AM
Active Enthusiast

Well….I just called my independent service garage to schedule routine service. They are located in a not-bad-part-of-town. They asked me NOT to leave my car their overnight for service. They’ve had catalytic converters stolen from cars parked there overnight, two of them from HCH. He said the replacements are not cheap.

I think it’s time to bring back capital punishment for horse and catalytic converter theft.

Old 05-27-2021, 10:31 AM
Enthusiast

Similar question: Any chance someone (looking in S Keith’s all knowing direction), has the book hours for cat replacement on the HCH2. I fell at the beginning of 2020 and broke my back (I was 6’5 am now 6’1). 7 surgeries later I can’t replace them myself, so I went to a local shop to swap out parts. They did not do so and charged me for it anyways. Now I have to go to court to get my money back, having the actual time honda claims it to take as well as the time for plug/coil replacement. Its kind of germane so i thought I would add on rather than start a new thread.

Old 05-27-2021, 11:11 AM

Sorry. I don't have access to that info and sorry to hear of (or be reminded of) your injuries.

FWIW, both jobs are < 1hr in human time.

Old 05-27-2021, 11:32 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks,
Yes, it is a tremendously easy job, you can understand why I would be cheesed to be charged 6 hours of labor for the job. Maybe I can slip my local honda tech 10 bucks to just copy the labor hour sheet.

Old 05-27-2021, 11:43 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if 6 hours is the number. Replacing a Prius battery is 6 hours per Toyota. Can be done in 45 minutes. Book hours exist purely to liberate $ from wallets.

Sucks. Hope you get it sorted.

Old 09-02-2021, 04:08 AM
Training wheels fitted

Originally Posted by chkuttner
Friends in the Prius world have been suffering a lot of thefts of catalytic converters, and are installing plates to deter that.

Is this something I need to worry about with my HCHII? My guess is that the Prius converter is a lot more accessible for the sleazebags, but thought I’d ask.....

Here in the UK cat theft is on the rise with 10.000 units stolen last year and this year is heading for a record high.
Hybrid models are targeted for the higher content of precious metals in tbeir cats, although conventional cars are being affected too. Our car was attacked too but with aid of the neighbours we managed to scare the thieves away. I mistakenly assumed the cat is mounted high up by the collector manifold but European models have it under the floor.
I booked an appointment for a steel plate to be fitted as well a a steel cable "wire basket" wrapped around the cat, a pair of Cat Protected stickers complete the package.
The cost of replacing the cat quickly approaches the market value of our cars so, spend a little to save a lot of time, money and inconvenience.