HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Complete Electrical Failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 01:58 PM
Enthusiast
Default Complete Electrical Failure

This morning I drove my 2007 Civic Hybrid for the first time in about 2 weeks.

The car started with a little hesitation, but I figured that was from sitting for 2 weeks so I thought nothing of it. I then drove about 10 minutes to the gas station and filled up.

When I went to start the car again nothing but ticking. The dash lights struggled to come on. I turned off the headlights and tried again. Still no luck. After 3 more tries the car finally turned over, but there wasn't enough power to run the power steering or power brakes or the headlights or hazard lights.

I managed to limp about 2 miles before the car completely died.

The car was towed back to my house and I put a multimeter on the batteries and it read 6.2V which would suggest the battery is not charging for whatever reason.

Up to this point I've had no issues with the car. I bought it last July with 120,800 miles and I've put about 21k on it myself.

Could this be as simple as needing a new battery or is a piece of the charging system broken? The battery looks really gross. I didn't have time to look for a date of mfg or anything.

I read about the DC/DC converter recall, but I don't know if the car has been seen for that since the recall came out before I owned it.

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:25 AM
Piloti di Hybridi
Default Re: Complete Electrical Failure

Hi,

The 12 volt battery is "Kaput".
Replace the 12 volt battery with a quality replacement. Clean all connections and make sure the cables are sound. Should be good to go after that.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:37 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Complete Electrical Failure

I second that...get a new battery. By the way never listen to the radio with the car off, but with the power on, and the lights. I had drained the little battery, and the traction in back. I got it started, without a jump but dash lights were on, and the car ran badly for a view minutes till the little battery got back some volts. Never did that again.