HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

CVT "S" Mode Inproves Regen and AC Performance

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 06:32 AM
Eco Accelerometrist
Default Re: CVT "S" Mode Inproves Regen and AC Performance

Spinner:

Your perspectives are your own and I've never even attempted to vilify your interpretation of what suits you at the expense of my ignorance. If you are happy with the reasons why you own a hybrid fine. Please enjoy it as there nothing more I would like best.

However, your constant and ill informed attempts at vilifying hypermiling does you no help in the least. You are far better than that and you can prove it if you chose to.

Obviously, I neither share your background nor my history with hybrid technology with you and that is fine. But if a conversation between folks who share the same affinities is in progress please do yourself and the community a favor and let it progress in the name of expanded knowledge and increased FE. Again, not everyone owns a hybrid for the reasons you do and I am sure that when the topic and context of a thread calls for your "wisdom and knowledge" your input will surely be greatly appreciated.

Cheers & please take a break.

MSantos

Old 06-16-2008, 08:55 AM
Enthusiast

I dunno -- I go back and forth. One day, I'm determined to be Mr Hypermiler Extraordinaire, wringing every last MPG out of the HCH. The next day, I'm not into it, so I drive without focusing on the fuel economy, knowing that even so I'll never get less than 2X the fuel economy of the large SUV I used to drive.

When I am working on maximizing my FE, though, I appreciate the advice on this forum and others.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:14 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Folks;

If I am remotely accurate, this thread is not about hypermiling and whether you like hypermiling or not, the topic and title were matched by posts of healthy and contextually relevant material... at least until a few posts ago.

I humbly suggest we stay on track at least for the purpose of increasing our collective knowledge and fuel economy where possible... and as we all know, this world we live in can always use a bit more of both.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 06-16-2008, 03:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

Today was my first day of 'staying out of the battery' and using S up to (or near) 25 mph before shifting into high.
I usually arrive home with maybe 4 bars SOC, and recently 3 bars! I normally lose an average of .3 mpg per round trip to work (3 miles each way). Today I kept 7 bars to and from work, and actually gained .2 mpg!! I am driving 'quicker' when accelerating away from stops. Weird feeling to see such a different results in my short commute! Thanks folks!

Old 06-16-2008, 04:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

Manuel, well said...

I've yet to use the "S" mode when accelerating from stop. I'm so used to accelerating in "D", I just don't think about it. I'll try to remember tomorrow.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:42 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I never have used "s" for accelerating, but I start tomorrow, Thank for the post,H

Old 06-17-2008, 07:36 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Tried this today, just for fun, I am not seeing the S keep me out of the battery pack, in fact, I found it uses it far more aggressevly.....D, rpm below 1,800k, 1-3 bars assist (mostly 1 under 20, 0 above) S, HARD to stay under 2,000 rpm and 4-5 bars assist...

Perhaps because I was on hilly roads not a long uphill grade at any rate, my usual drive home in D using P&G, riding the battery on about a mile of flat, some mild uphill and some mild downhill DWL and lots of coasting usually yeilds about 47 mpg this time of year & leaves me 5-6 bars of charge when I get home. this is usually starts from home with 5-6, arrive at work with 7-8.

Shifting into S on acceleration & at the base of hills, yeilded me 44.4 and 3 bars of charge after starting today at 9.

I think I will stick with the former rather than the latter unless maybe there is a longer (1+ mile uphill grade).

Of course, this is MY experience, I just wanted to share it with you.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:06 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Hi Bob:

I suspect you got to give it one more try to see its worth. Also, switching to "S" will not show any benefit in all circumstances. As I tried to indicate earlier, this technique is to be used as an alternate strategy to accelerating in "D" with no assist.

Next time try the following:
- Once stopped on a level road try to speed up in "D" without dipping in the pack. This should be pretty hard to do but try it anyway.
- Once you are in motion and accelerating very slowly, switch to "S". You'll see the RPM move up and you'll notice it is much easier to accelerate without hitting the assist. You may need to adjust the throttle pressure.
- Once in "S" and accelerating make sure you switch out of "S" into "D" as soon as you reach ~25 miles per hour (40KM/H). This speed threshold marks a mode transition in the assist profile in that its affinity is reduced by roughly 50%.

Anyhow, the other effect of accelerating in "S" without assist is that you are more likely to induce a hidden regen as well.

Give it another shot and see if it works for you.

Cheers;

MSantos

Last edited by msantos; 06-17-2008 at 08:17 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by msantos
But if a conversation between folks who share the same affinities is in progress please do yourself and the community a favor and let it progress in the name of expanded knowledge and increased FE. Again, not everyone owns a hybrid for the reasons you do and I am sure that when the topic and context of a thread calls for your "wisdom and knowledge" your input will surely be greatly appreciated.
Originally Posted by sdgarber
So I am wondering whether it is better for me to use "S" mode when driving uphill over a prolonged distance and when running the AC at higher outside ambient temps.
Stu, I think the answer is simple: You're forcing the car to work harder in Second when it doesn't have to. You are not giving the technology the benefit of self-management, which in turn will pay you back.

It is impossible for anyone on a forum to account for your car's longevity from driving in Second. When in doubt, check the manual, which says that Drive is for normal driving. Second is for better acceleration and engine braking and should be used when going down a steep hill or in stop-and-go driving.

This is a perfectly valid suggestion. But do as you like.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:46 PM

If I am remotely accurate, this thread is not about hypermiling and whether you like hypermiling or not, the topic and title were matched by posts of healthy and contextually relevant material... at least until a few posts ago.
Earlier...

Good thing you noticed the behavior and characteristics of the "S" mode. Many of us hypermiling the HCH-2 utilize the S mode in a variety of occasions all the while being aware of the FE penalty that it imposes.

For instance, when climbing a hill the "S" mode is the next trick after we bleed enough speed in our DWL. We do this carefully since we do not want to hit the pack.
Nope. Hardly a matter of taste for many of us at CleanMPG.

Minimizing assist for the pursuit of higher fuel economy is neither a fallacy nor is it a matter of getting just 5% improvements as you claim. You'd be closer to the truth if you had stated 25% improvement or more. And yes, many of our top scoring members have 5 speed Insights and their results are a testament to these principles.
And there are more. In fact, most of your responses in this topic are about hypermiling, even if they weren't called for, so I'm calling you on it and saying, BS this topic is not about hypermiling. You made it so.

Now, I don't harbour any grievances over anyone -- especially you -- so I never make it personal. But this topic is a good example of one of many topics that are virtually hijacked to get as much hypermiling discussion out there as possible. What about me? What about the people who want to discuss their Civics as Hybrids but aren't living and breathing hypermiling every moment of their time on the forum? Are we all to be quiet and observant while people are told to operate their vehicles outside of manufacturer's recommendations? Should we remain silent as members get condescended to for their disinterest in ultimate fuel efficiency? Where's the fairness and sense of balance in that?

I don't mind hypermiling topics per se, but unlike CleanMPG, none of them here come with a disclaimer.

Quick Reply: CVT "S" Mode Inproves Regen and AC Performance

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands