HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

DIY Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 02:01 PM
Enthusiast
Default DIY Oil Change

I just bought my HCHII two weeks ago. From reading the owners manual, I have the impression that it may be impractical to change the oil in this car myself. Is this the case, or is it really easier than it sounds?

On the off chance it IS practical: is there a synthetic 0W20 available?

Old 06-26-2006, 02:08 PM
World's First Hybrid
Default Re: DIY Oil Change

Originally Posted by Texas Boy
I just bought my HCHII two weeks ago. From reading the owners manual, I have the impression that it may be impractical to change the oil in this car myself. Is this the case, or is it really easier than it sounds?

On the off chance it IS practical: is there a synthetic 0W20 available?
Mobil 1 0W20 is now readily available (back by popular demand) at local retailers including wal mart.

Old 06-26-2006, 03:26 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

Changing the oil yourself is do-able, it's just a little more involved than most cars because of the wind shield all along the bottom, and having to remember to go buy a new crush washer at the dealer's. If you've got a small lift plus some stands, you shouldn't have any trouble.

Old 06-27-2006, 06:22 AM
Enthusiast

My experience is that Mobil 1 0-20 oil is not "readily available". I've tried to find it at various stores, including WalMart, so far with no success. I'm down to 30% oil life so it's time to get more serious about hunting some up.

Old 06-27-2006, 06:30 AM
Enthusiast

Just picked up 12 quarts of Mobil 1 Synthetic 0W20 for my Insight at my local WalMart. Call around to other walmart stores or have a salesperson at your local store call for you to check availablity.

Old 06-27-2006, 07:36 AM
Active Enthusiast

I had no problem finding Mobil 1 oil.

The only trouble I had was the low front end wanted to scrape against the ramps. A couple of 2 by 6 "spacers" solved that problem.

Ron in SoCal

Old 06-27-2006, 08:21 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rrunyan
I had no problem finding Mobil 1 oil.

The only trouble I had was the low front end wanted to scrape against the ramps. A couple of 2 by 6 "spacers" solved that problem.

Ron in SoCal
I am hoping to change my own oil when the time comes. I have a question--does the oil drain fully when the front end is up? Also, how high does the front end need to be ramped up for access?

Thanks.

Old 06-27-2006, 08:58 AM
Enthusiast

I guess the amount of space needed will depend on how big you are. I use 8000 lb Rhino Ramps for my Insight and have no problem with scraping or getting underneath. It's a little tight under there, but no worse than my lowered Audi A8 was!

Added bonus, my local recycling center will take the used oil in washer fluid jugs or similar containers!

Old 06-27-2006, 09:42 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Also, many auto parts stores recycle oil. I know the Checker Auto stores in my area do. Of course, when I was growing up, my dad just dumped the oil in a ditch.

Old 06-28-2006, 07:07 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mr. Kite
I am hoping to change my own oil when the time comes. I have a question--does the oil drain fully when the front end is up? Also, how high does the front end need to be ramped up for access?

Thanks.

The "normal" sized ramps are barely adequate. You have to remove the plastic wind gizmo which has 9 clips and 2 screws (if I remember correctly). The wind gizmo goes from the front bumper to about the middle of the car. Not difficult, just cumbersome to deal with. The problem I had was as I started up the ramps the front end wanted to scrape on the ramps because it is so low to the ground. Added the "spacers" just in front of the ramps themselves so the car wouldn't scrape the ramps.

The oil drain plug is at the rear of the oil pan and having the front raised helps get all the oil out.

I reused the crush washer because I was too lazy to go to the dealer for a new one. Next time I'm at the dealer I'll pick up a few for the future. (But I won't be able to find them when the time comes.)

Ron in SoCal

Quick Reply: DIY Oil Change

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands