HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

The emergency brake handle is killing my knee!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 08:11 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: The emergency brake handle is killing my knee!

I think it has to do with heel placement.

I have my heel in between the gas and brake and lean it left to brake and right for gas. With it leaning to the right, my whole leg is "splayed" out to the right and the handle hits my knee.

I have been experimenting with putting my heel in line with the gas pedal and leaning it way over to the left for the brake. This helps me not hit the handle as much, but feels totally unnatural.

Tuesday, my car will be at the upholsterers to get heated seats put in and I will see if they'll make a padded sheath for me.

BTW, I tried the whole foot on the gas and almost killed myself. Do not try this with size 14 shoes on!!

Old 09-25-2006, 07:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

The emerg brake is postitoned very poorly. I have driven 15-20 of the new Civics on dealer trades. If I had one, I would look into the possibility of getting the handle bent about an inch to the right or simpler..get a piece of hot water heater insulation pip tubing from your friendly Lowes/home Depot and put a short piece over the handle..I know it would look stupid, but the thing does interfere with my knee which naturally rides against it. Another bummer on the design is the way the dash sticks out by the door. I have hit my knee more than once getting in a Civic. Two dumb designs on the 06 that should have never happened! This would not keep me from getting one, but the sorry interior colors have stopped me so far. One setting on my dealers lot right now with the light interior..dont like it!

Last edited by DTDRIVER; 09-27-2006 at 07:54 PM.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:20 AM
Enthusiast

Sorry to revive an old thread but this was a major bugaboo for me.
So much so that I was bordering of ridding myself of the car due to the discomfort.
How I could have missed that in a short test drive is no surprise.
Yeah, I've considered nerf *****, pipe covers and bike handlebar grips.

Well, with a word of caution to the less than handy types, this is how I solve my problem.
I removed the center console and tried to take apart the gear shift level setup as well as the parking brake assembly.
The gear shift and ebrake will integrated in a single unit and one has to unbutton quite a bit to get it removed.
On closer look, it looked like I could avoid all that work if I could just bent the lever with the assembly in place.
So I braced the level with another hammer (this is to keep the whole lever from bending or yikes!, breaking off), I placed a few carefully targeted hits with a mallet to bend just the upper portion of the lever, to the right.
With post-inspections after each hit, the level was sufficiently bent towards the right.
Of course, one runs the risk of dislodging the welds with hits thus the need for close look at the progress you're making versus the potential of operating without an parking brake for awhile.
All in all, I think mine moved about 3/4 in. to the right.

Now, it is ALOT better and my 80 mile daily commute is far more tolerable.
My knee now rests onto the side of the release **** rather than on the release ****.
I could use another 1/8 in. more to the right and I may attempt that when the weather gets warmer.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by bdbx18
Sorry to revive an old thread but this was a major bugaboo for me.
So much so that I was bordering of ridding myself of the car due to the discomfort.
How I could have missed that in a short test drive is no surprise.
Yeah, I've considered nerf *****, pipe covers and bike handlebar grips.

Well, with a word of caution to the less than handy types, this is how I solve my problem.
I removed the center console and tried to take apart the gear shift level setup as well as the parking brake assembly.
The gear shift and ebrake will integrated in a single unit and one has to unbutton quite a bit to get it removed.
On closer look, it looked like I could avoid all that work if I could just bent the lever with the assembly in place.
So I braced the level with another hammer (this is to keep the whole lever from bending or yikes!, breaking off), I placed a few carefully targeted hits with a mallet to bend just the upper portion of the lever, to the right.
With post-inspections after each hit, the level was sufficiently bent towards the right.
Of course, one runs the risk of dislodging the welds with hits thus the need for close look at the progress you're making versus the potential of operating without an parking brake for awhile.
All in all, I think mine moved about 3/4 in. to the right.

Now, it is ALOT better and my 80 mile daily commute is far more tolerable.
My knee now rests onto the side of the release **** rather than on the release ****.
I could use another 1/8 in. more to the right and I may attempt that when the weather gets warmer.
Wow! Can you take a pic of this?

I'm still using pipe insulation.

Old 04-07-2007, 09:11 AM

It may be possible to back the cable off as far as possible and then adjust the handle hieght higher?

Old 04-01-2008, 06:43 AM

Edmund's Straightline blog covers this in their Civic GX, although they don't explicitly say, it appears to be a golf club cover.
http://blogs.edmunds.com/.eea5caf/9

Old 04-01-2008, 07:11 AM
Wish I new it all!

Who let short Japanese people design cars anyway????

I am 6'-1" and would say I have slightly longer legs than average. I am having the a similar issue with the position of my knee, but it is more so how vertical it is. I have the seat back and down as much as I can, but I have a bad knee do to a work related accident and if my knee is elevated too much while I drive it will go numb. I swear the first 2008 HCH I test drove the seat went back farther than it does in the one I ended up buying, has anyone looked into the possibilty of being able to move the seat farther back than stock? I have a friend that is 6'-8" & about 350 lbs and just about every car he has ever bought he had to have the dealer move the driver seat back just so he could fit in it. I did a quick look on my 08 HCH and it doesn't look feasible to move the track back any, but it does seem there are notches in the track that extend farther back then the seat actually goes. I am going to look and maybe see if there is a stop that can be adjusted that would allow the seat to move another inch or so farther back, then I would be golden!

Old 04-01-2008, 09:44 AM
Hybrid Owner

I'm 6'2" and have no problems...of course I've owned 3 Miatas, so I'm kinda used to being squeezed into tight places for extended periods of time.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:55 PM

I don't have this problem. I'm 6'2" and if I really try, I can rub my knee against the brake and irritate it. I think that it has to do with the way you sit while you drive. I've noticed that I keep my legs straight and centered.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

I was going to ask this question after now having mine for 6 weeks. I have the knee-on-brake position with resulting discomfort also.

I am studying bdbx18's post above and will likely attempt the same. Can this be done without removing the console????

If the handle had been positioned back an inch, this would not be a problem for anyone.

Quick Reply: The emergency brake handle is killing my knee!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands