Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   HCH II-Specific Discussions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/)
-   -   Fuel tank warranty extension (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/fuel-tank-warranty-extension-27417/)

aklez 01-24-2020 05:01 PM

Re: Fuel tank warranty extension

Originally Posted by S Keith (Post 269856)

The PZEV warranty is imposed on the MANUFACTURER, i.e., "if you want the PZEV rating, you have to provide this warranty." Doesn't matter if you're not in CA.

@S Keith - Many thanks for the helpful info. I am planning to go talk to my dealer, but I cannot find proof that PZEV is honored in non-PZEV states. In fact, I keep finding the opposite. For example, that warranty booklet says, "PZEV warranty coverage applies to all vehicles with PZEV emissions certification that are registered and normally operated in California, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maine, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont."

Also, this Consumer Reports article says "
States where this PZEV warranty is honored currently include California, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont."

Do you have any other info or resources about PZEVs being honored in other states. I really appreciate your help!

S Keith 01-24-2020 05:38 PM

Re: Fuel tank warranty extension

Dude... The example article you linked describes EXACTLY what you're looking for. A NC resident found out he was covered under the CA warranty. First paragraph:

"In 2012, a 2004 BMW 325i belonging to John F. Holmes of Fayetteville, N.C., suffered a fuel-pump failure. The local BMW dealer wanted more than $8,000 to replace it. But then Mr. Holmes learned that his car was covered by a 15-year emissions warranty under California law, and after some wrangling with BMW, he got the repair done for free."

I can 100% promise you that if you take a NON-PZEV car and move to CA or any other PZEV state, you do NOT get the PZEV warranty as it is not a PZEV certified car. PZEV certification is given by the PZEV state. The manufacturer is obligated to honor it anywhere. The one time this might not be true is if the car was purchased and never registered or operated in the PZEV or a PZEV-honoring state, but that might be hard to pin down.

Do you really think Toyota would cover failed hybrid batteries if they didn't have to?