HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Getting son an HCHII

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 06:09 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Getting son an HCHII

Hi, I currently own a 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid and came from a Prius and a Tahoe. My son is about to turn 16 and he said he wants a Hybrid too. But not a Prius because he does not want to stand out much. I was thinking about getting him a Honda Civic Hybrid II. I know it can not run on just the electric motor like my Highlander can right? How does a Civic hybrid drive? And could I get one for around 22k or less? I am in Hoover, Alabama.
And it also has the CVT transmission like the Highlander too right? As far is safety how is it? Does it have ABS and stuff standard?
He is also looking at the Saturn Vue Hybrid but I will make another topic for that.
Thanks a bunch!

Last edited by highlanderhybrid; 03-21-2007 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:41 PM
Enthusiast
Old 03-22-2007, 01:49 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Getting son an HCHII

Get your son a 1961 Dodge Dart and a good set of tools. It'll give him character

Old 03-22-2007, 06:21 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by highlanderhybrid
Hi, I currently own a 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid and came from a Prius and a Tahoe. My son is about to turn 16 and he said he wants a Hybrid too. But not a Prius because he does not want to stand out much.
I commend you for setting such a good example for your son that he too, wants a hybrid !! Equally commendable the fact that he wants to do the right thing without standing out too much. I call that a good start.

I was thinking about getting him a Honda Civic Hybrid II. I know it can not run on just the electric motor like my Highlander can right? How does a Civic hybrid drive? And could I get one for around 22k or less? I am in Hoover, Alabama.
And it also has the CVT transmission like the Highlander too right? As far is safety how is it? Does it have ABS and stuff standard?
The HCH-2 cannot drive on electric only like your Highlander - more specifically starting on electric from a dead stop. It can however operate on electric only once at speed and if he's got "the touch" he can produce some serious fuel economy figures with it. You/he should give the HCH-2 a test drive. Like the Prius, it is not for everyone and it all boils down to a matter of taste, purpose and styling.

If you search in this forum you'll see what people have been paying for theirs.

Yes, the CVT is similar in behaviour and feel. A test drive will confirm that for you.

The HCH-2 is an extremely safe vehicle (highest rated for its class). ABS? Definitely. Including a few other good things you hope he'll never needs to use.

He is also looking at the Saturn Vue Hybrid but I will make another topic for that.
In my opinion this would be a very questionable if not poor choice... but like you said, that should be another topic.

Cheers;

MSantos

Last edited by msantos; 03-22-2007 at 06:24 AM.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:56 AM
Hybrid Nutbar

When I turned 16 I got a ride to the junkyard to get parts for a 1983 Civic CRX with 280,000 miles and no transmission, tires, or seats. I had to buy the tools myself.

Old 03-22-2007, 11:17 AM
Enthusiast

I strongly agree with THe BRUNDO and REVRUNT but if you must then the HCHII is the perfect car as far as safety and looks for someone your son's age in the hybrid department.

Old 03-22-2007, 05:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

And I thought I was lucky when I was 16! I drove a 1975 Cutlass Supreme for a month, and then it died. It also happened that my dad got a company car, and one of the other cars had just been paid off....so my parents let me have their 1992 Civic, which was about two years old with 28,000 miles on it when I got it. I drove that car until 2001, so it worked pretty well for me. I can't imagine being given a new car for my birthday....and frankly...why? Buy him a used 2000 Civic or something...great milage, efficient engine, safe, reliable, and it'll save you $14,000.

Old 03-22-2007, 06:23 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Obciously getting him a new hybrid is better than a new sports car or truck like most people his age would probably desire...

I'm only 20 right now and just got my first car (HCHII '07), took out a 20k loan for it! I got 3.9% on it though, otherwise I wouldn't have taken the deal. I really appreciate my car that much more because I am paying for it (every 26th of the month, over and over...). Yes, I probably should have eyed a used civic or something, but I normally spend my money frugally and thought that this would be a good "investment" (cars shouldn't be viewed as investments!). I thought since I was getting a hybrid its different than me going out and blowing my money on a sports car. Also, my dad has a HCH '05 that he would let me take out every once in a while and after that I was hooked and had to have my own...

As long as your son understands the value of a dollar I would fully reccommend the HCHII (he does sound very mature). One day he will be on his own and you won't be there to get him nice new hybrids (or hopefully sweet electric cars by then?)! haha. On the other hand, you obviously are doing a good job raising him if he is desiring a hybrid. What most the people here are trying to say (i think), is that maybe you should get your son a less expensive (though still in good order) car (like an moderate aged civic), and put the difference towards your retirement or something! Obviously you can do what you want, and if you do get him a hybrid I don't think you can go wrong with the HCH (but I am biased).

my 2 cents

Old 03-22-2007, 06:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by owlmaster08
Obciously getting him a new hybrid is better than a new sports car or truck like most people his age would probably desire...

I'm only 20 right now and just got my first car (HCHII '07), took out a 20k loan for it! I got 3.9% on it though, otherwise I wouldn't have taken the deal. I really appreciate my car that much more because I am paying for it (every 26th of the month, over and over...). Yes, I probably should have eyed a used civic or something, but I normally spend my money frugally and thought that this would be a good "investment" (cars shouldn't be viewed as investments!). I thought since I was getting a hybrid its different than me going out and blowing my money on a sports car. Also, my dad has a HCH '05 that he would let me take out every once in a while and after that I was hooked and had to have my own...

As long as your son understands the value of a dollar I would fully reccommend the HCHII (he does sound very mature). One day he will be on his own and you won't be there to get him nice new hybrids (or hopefully sweet electric cars by then?)! haha. On the other hand, you obviously are doing a good job raising him if he is desiring a hybrid. What most the people here are trying to say (i think), is that maybe you should get your son a less expensive (though still in good order) car (like an moderate aged civic), and put the difference towards your retirement or something! Obviously you can do what you want, and if you do get him a hybrid I don't think you can go wrong with the HCH (but I am biased).

my 2 cents
Yea he loves Hybrids and has managed to get 34 MPG out of my Highlander Hybrid which I have never been able to do. I offered to get him a fairly new Chevrolet Tahoe but he was like, no I want a Hybrid mom. I was all for that. Less money for him to spend on gas.