Occassional Auto Stop Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 06:44 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Occassional Auto Stop Issue

Hello,

Every so often I run into a problem with the auto-stop feature. While driving and coming to a stop the engine attempts to shut down however, it hiccups then stays on instead. Sound familiar to anyone else.

Old 05-31-2006, 07:41 PM
2006 HCH Owner
Default Re: Occassional Auto Stop Issue

I'm finding that I have to keep firm pressure on the brake pedal when I come to a stop otherwise my engine will restart. I'm also noticing, even though the weather is "warm" and my engine hasn't had time to fully warm up -- if I have the air conditioner on, auto-stop doesn't always work.

Old 05-31-2006, 08:32 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by birchman2
Hello,

Every so often I run into a problem with the auto-stop feature. While driving and coming to a stop the engine attempts to shut down however, it hiccups then stays on instead. Sound familiar to anyone else.
Yes, it happens. Sometimes none of the known reasons seem to explain it. My guess is that sometimes after I've used a lot of assist, or recharged the batteries a lot going down a long hill, the IMA decides that the batteries are overheated and need to be given a rest. So it keeps the ICE running to avoid using the batteries to start the engine. I dunno. It's just a guess.

Old 05-31-2006, 09:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lesfillin
I'm finding that I have to keep firm pressure on the brake pedal when I come to a stop otherwise my engine will restart. I'm also noticing, even though the weather is "warm" and my engine hasn't had time to fully warm up -- if I have the air conditioner on, auto-stop doesn't always work.
I've give it a try.

Old 05-31-2006, 10:01 PM

I've seen this too, and lesfillin's solution did need work often, though not always. Plus it's just annoying having to jerk to a stop. One of the reasons I switched to the far more polished Camry Hybrid.

Old 06-01-2006, 05:08 AM
Enthusiast

In general, I try to keep an even pressure on the brake, decreasing speed gradually. Since I drive with a large buffer, this gives me a chance to recharge the batteries a bit before coming to a full stop. The AS usually kicks in when I'm still going 5mpg. I've been able to glide quite a few feet on a slight decline while in AS before finally coming to a full stop. BUT, let up even a fraction on the brakes and the engine will hiccup, come back on, and stay on. I've learned, just like Lesfillin, that you have to keep constant pressure on the brake pedal.

Old 06-01-2006, 06:26 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HyChi
In general, I try to keep an even pressure on the brake, decreasing speed gradually. Since I drive with a large buffer, this gives me a chance to recharge the batteries a bit before coming to a full stop. The AS usually kicks in when I'm still going 5mpg. I've been able to glide quite a few feet on a slight decline while in AS before finally coming to a full stop. BUT, let up even a fraction on the brakes and the engine will hiccup, come back on, and stay on. I've learned, just like Lesfillin, that you have to keep constant pressure on the brake pedal.
Yeah I know that I ease up on the brake pedal ever so slightly. And I also use this to glide a little before coming to an absolute stop sometimes in heavy traffic.

Old 06-01-2006, 07:50 AM
AllThingsAuto
Default Re: Occasional Auto Stop Issue

Greetings;

The other day I got a chance to coast downhill after AutoStop engaged at 5mph w/ brake still slightly depressed and gravity winning the battle until well over 20 mph for 50 yards or so. I actually lifted off the brake cause the speed built high enough to do a pure coast anyway (not to mention uncertainty about shocking components w/ higher speed engagement). I've tried a couple of times but never succeeded until this incident. I commented on it to m'lady, and she said "So that was free?" She uses the "obsessed" word often w/ regard to my hyper theories and current monomaniacal pursuit of maximizing the technology of my new HCHII. I'm used to it, she's used it. We both love MY car and all is well in the world.
My previous baby was a VW 2001 Passat V6 5spd that I could squeeze low 30s out of if I didn't wind it through gears on Maryland country roads. It raised my mpg awareness w/ it's two trip computers. Anyway - coffee's strong (good), sorry for the rambling (typical).
Keep the exhaust to a minimum,