HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Heated Mirrors for '06 HCH

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 05:45 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Heated Mirrors for '06 HCH

O.K. - anybody have them? I was cruising the owners manual the other day and noticed that they mention it in there. Downside: it says Canada cars only.

Sad that a feature like that for those who live in the snow and frost areas can't get them stateside! Why!? Really pi**es me off since I have that feature on another car and its great.

I tried checking a bit and ended up calling HONDA in Canada. Apparently the wiring harness in the existing mirror may match and its a swap (oh, you'll need to change the climate control panel - the switch is part of the rear defrost). But, replacement mirros are $420 each!! and then there's the switch, install,etc. Maybe I should stick with a roll of paper towels.

Anybody know alternatives (besides scraping or wiping the mirror by hand ).

I'm also looking into the HIDs since they seem do-able. I wonder about any warranty issues for the car, or if they would not pass a states annual vehicle inspection by a dealer (Virginia requires it) since the dealer may say its an "aftermarket" item not part of the original vehicles design, etc.

Old 11-30-2006, 06:49 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Heated Mirrors for '06 HCH

I agree with you on the mirrors. Even my '96 Mazda has heated mirrors. In a few years maybe you'll be able to find some junked Canadian HCH-IIs and swap 'em over. A lot of cars that come without certain options still have wiring harnesses for all available options.

Old 11-30-2006, 08:26 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by meerkat
Anybody know alternatives (besides scraping or wiping the mirror by hand ).
Yes, try a frost resistant product. Rain-x Ice and Rain X-frost should be able to do the job well. Just apply the product on the dry mirror surface and wipe. Water will bead and frost and Ice will not form. Its that easy.

I use this approach on the windows and as a result I rarely use the wipers even under heavy rain or snow.

Look, us canadians get the heated mirrors but our US friends get the remote trunk release on the fob plus the Navi option. Either way we look at it, we're both left wanting.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 12-01-2006, 03:01 AM
Active Enthusiast

You mean you guys can't get the NAVI?

Even the trunk release on the FOB is something I took for granted. Now I don't feel so bad.....

Thanks for the tip on the rain/ice info!

Old 12-01-2006, 05:34 AM
Active Enthusiast

The Euro version also has heated mirrors (besides the tractioncontrol a.o.)

No navi, but in the netherlands o.e.m Navi's aren't interessting because of our 46% tax on cars and factory options.

I'll just have to use my Garmin Zumo.

Picking up my car tomorrow morning. Finally i'll post pics a.s.a.p.

Old 12-01-2006, 12:45 PM
Hybrid-Hugger

yup, for some reason, they left the trunk release and navi for their Acura line (but then they don't offer a hybrid). I wish I could have got leather seats as well (again, you can in the Acura).
What gets me is the reason for the trunk release- I heard it was for security (so no one could break into your car). Kinda hard with the big high voltage battery in the way don't you think?

Old 12-01-2006, 06:42 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Actually Jason, that is a good idea...

I think I'll call the parts manager at our Acura dealership and price the solenoid assembly, the 3 wire harness for the trunk lid latch switch ... plus a new key fob for the CSX model. When the parts arrive I'll just mount into on my HCH. hummm... that should do it.

Thanks;

MSantos