HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Horn?????

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 08:59 AM
Enjoying my hybrid
Default Horn?????

Okay, I've had my 06 HCHII for about a month and this morning on my commute to work I had to use the horn for the first time. What was Honda thinking????? When I heard the horn myself, I was totally embarrassed.

I didn't see the other guy's face (he was cutting in front of me), but I am sure he was laughing at me. I doubt they could have made the sound any more toy-like if they tried. Sheesh, I think I'll need to find an aftermarket horn. Maybe I'll get one that goes aaaooooogaaaa or one that plays "Dixie" ala The General Lee. I've never cared (or noticed) what the horn sounded like in any other car I've owned.

Other than that.....I sure do love my HCHII!!!

Old 09-08-2006, 09:50 AM
Eco Accelerometrist
Default Re: Horn?????

I agree with the tone of the horn - not very assertive. Every single Honda/Acura I've owned had the same sound.

Just for the giggles of it, I did a little lookup through our federal transportation safety standards - and noticed that it prohibts any changes to the safety equipment in a road-worthy vehicle. This includes changes to a series of systems of which also include the horn. Their guidelines explicitly indicate that in the best of cases the vehicle would have to be inspected before it is can return to the road after a safety modification or enhancement.

Now, I don't know for sure, if there is an equivalent of these standards in the US. I do know that they apply us as well as several countries in western Europe.

In any case, it should be cool if you could do the mod. I wish I could.

Cheers;

MSantos

Cheers;

Old 09-08-2006, 10:25 AM
Enjoying my hybrid

I'll have to check my Honda Ridgeline when I get home. If it has the same horn sound, that could be even more embarrassing!!

Old 09-08-2006, 10:25 AM
World's First Hybrid

There was a horn thread started a few months ago or maybe even last year sometime and a lot of other HCH owners agree on the wimpy horn. How about a Marx bro's rubber horn mounted to the outside mirror? It would sound better I bet.

There are some good direct replacement aftermarket horns that pack some punch and you can install them by removing the front bumper assembly, supposedly it is easy to do.

search for "wimpy horn" and you will find it.
Ralph

Last edited by ralph_dog; 09-08-2006 at 10:28 AM.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:32 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by ShawnS
I'll have to check my Honda Ridgeline when I get home. If it has the same horn sound, that could be even more embarrassing!!

I sure hope not !! It would be a challenge to have a diminuitive horn sound coming from a truck with such an impossing image.

LOL

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 09-08-2006, 10:56 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Horn????? Hardly

It has to be the one of the most embarrassing horns is auto history, My Eight year old laughed at me on the freeway the first time I used it.

I checked out replacing it and it involves removing practically the entire front of the car, something I was not sure I wanted to do with a one-month old. I may just carry a little air horn with compressed gas that you use on boats with me for now.

Old 09-08-2006, 01:54 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

www.hornblasters.com

Old 09-11-2006, 05:34 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

It's a low-emissions horn.

Old 09-11-2006, 11:47 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yeah, it's definitely a pansy horn. It's also not particularly loud in my opinion.

Old 09-17-2006, 12:32 PM
Aneil Mishra, Ph.D.

Definitely the smile of the week:

Originally Posted by noflash
It's a low-emissions horn.
Thanks!

Aneil

Quick Reply: Horn?????

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands