HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

IMA light after replacing my hybrid battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 11:04 PM
Enthusiast
Default IMA light after replacing my hybrid battery

so I bought my 06 Honda Civic with 70000 miles on it. Shortly after buying it, the IMA light came on. It goes out after shutting the car off and then on but eventually it got worse and kept coming on every day. I went ahead and got a certified used one from a reputable shop that remanufactured hybrid batteries. Swapped it out and my mileage went up and the battery bar on my dash would never drop below 5 bars. Drove the car this way for about a week with no issues. I went on vacation for 5 days as the car sat in my driveway. When I returned from vacation, the car acted the same way as the older original hybrid pack where the battery bars would randomly drop to 2 bars and then 3 min later would rapidly climb to max.
2nd day back from vacation and the IMA light once again came back on. The car is acting exactly the same way as it did prior to me swapping out my hybrid battery. As a side note, the 12V battery is new although I had this issue even with the old 12V.
Any recommendations? Appreciate the help.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:04 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: IMA light after replacing my hybrid battery

You bought a bad hybrid battery.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:07 AM
Enthusiast

I thought that as one of the possibilities but was hoping there’s another possible issue. I grid charged the battery over night so let me see if that does anything. If there are any other suggestions, please feel free to post. Thanks again.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:22 AM

Highly unlikely, though it's worth having your 12V load tested at an auto parts shop.

The clue is the 5 day sit. A healthy battery will hold its charge for well over 5 days. HCH2 battery failure generally manifest themselves as pervasive self-discharge, which fits your description.

Where did you get it?

If there was a warranty, grid charging could void it. Furthermore, if there is a warranty, you shouldn't do anything that would mask the issue.

Old 02-25-2018, 07:05 PM
Enthusiast

I got the pack from falcon hybrid. I agree that grid charging masks the real issue but I figure I’d give it the benefit of doubt and see if it lasts. I will be leaving again shortly for another 4-5 days. Guess I’ll know if it will work or not. Is there a way to test the battery modules with just a voltmeter or do I need special equipment to determine a good from a bad battery? Thanks again for the help

Old 02-25-2018, 08:07 PM

Falcon is notorious for supplying poor quality packs. A lady on this site had to replace 3 packs in the span of 4-5 months from those guys.

Contact them immediately and inform them of the issue. Do not grid charge it and get the codes read.

They sold you a piece of junk. The only solution is replacement. Period.

Old 02-25-2018, 09:20 PM
Enthusiast

Geez. Didnt realize they had bad feedback here from this forum. I’ll contact them tomorrow and notify them that my IMA light came on after 5 days of the car sitting. Thanks for the tip. Will notify u of the outcome.

Old 02-25-2018, 09:31 PM

Read here:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/forums/f...26/#post260567

Old 02-26-2018, 09:49 AM
Enthusiast

JUst got off the phone with falcon. Gonna head over there sometime this week. I only live 30 min away. They told me they wanted to check it out and replace if needed. Will ask if they can test for a specific bad module in my original pack and replace that one (or more if they find other bad ones) instead of giving me a whole new pack that may contain bad modules. I’m thinking that this way, I can weed out the bad ones which will eventually leave me with good ones instead of crap shooting with replacement packs like that lady in the thread you supplied where she went through multiple packs. What’s your take on this concept? Thanks.

Old 02-26-2018, 10:38 AM

You're assuming that they can competently identify good vs. bad. If your assumption is good, your concept may bear fruit.

The fact that they sold you a pack that can't sit for 5 days without coding suggests that your assumption is incorrect.

However, even if your assumption is correct, it could take more than 11 visits to get to the end result.

Whatever the process, you need to contact them the INSTANT you have an issue with the battery including observed recalibrations.

Quick Reply: IMA light after replacing my hybrid battery

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands