HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

My first 'no electrical assist and near miss' adventure

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 05:53 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: My first 'no electrical assist and near miss' adventure

I've been using scangauge II to read the codes, though despite all problems it never read any actual codes related to battery.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:34 PM
Active Enthusiast

I've been using scangauge II to read the codes, though despite all problems it never read any actual codes related to battery.
Thanks. Was going to buy one from Canadian Tire, but they seem to have pulled them from their web site..........

Old 01-09-2012, 06:34 AM
Active Enthusiast

I got it form a group buy over at cleanmpg

Old 01-09-2012, 01:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

I just ordered mine from:

http://www.giffordautomotive.com/

I'm told it will be here Wednesday, hopefully in time before my dealer appointment Thursday. I'm going thru the PDF file "how to use the thing" now.

Where have other folks mounted their ScanGauge in the HCH II?

Cheers

Old 01-14-2012, 05:05 AM
Active Enthusiast

Update: 12 Jan 2012 visit to dealer.

Drive from home to dealer elicited two re-cals (in a 50 km secondary road trip). Once there, the car was scaned and no codes found. Then, with my service manager in the passenger seat and the Honda computer plugged into the OBD II socket, off we went.

First 15 minutes was local driving in town and the point was reached where I could no longer force an electric glide in town (i.e. reach about 55 kph, lift off on gas and then just apply enough pressure on gas to get a bar or two of assist).

I explained the significance of that detail, along with the SOC still showing 5 bars.

I was ready for merging onto the 401. As we began, I got the 1 second of assist followed by no assist. I demo'd this three times as he was pushing buttons on the Honda laptop.

Then, we had a re-cal. I demo'd the thing for him, explaining the no IMA assist for the next few minutes, new lower level of IMA with apparent 100%, etc.

Whole event was one hour. Based on another chat room, I did take a copy of some info on his computer screen shown attached.

The item I brought to his (and this audiences) attention is not the SOC of 53%, but three rows below that "IMA Battery Usable Capacity" is 19%.

I read at another site where the old/original software would have triggered the IMA light at 20%.

Anyone out there reading this: what is the significance/importance of the IMA battery usable capacity reading 19%? Please weigh in on this.

PS. 13 Jan 2012 trip from Toronto to Detroit = 12 re-cals, all caught on digital film and already forwarded to my dealer for forwarding to Honda.

Copy of the attached e-mail to him (which gives an executive summary) follows (and I was able to forward all 37 photos):

Thanks guys

Cheers

Mike

Attached Thumbnails My first 'no electrical assist and near miss' adventure-dsc00234.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: doc
13jan2012 e-mail to Joe.doc (24.0 KB, 179 views)
Old 01-14-2012, 07:32 AM
Active Enthusiast

Mike, the usable IMA capacity is basically a SOH (state of Health) of the battery, showing how much it has now versus when it was new, or new full charge capacity versus design capacity. Your number shows you have 1/5 the original battery size to play with, and it really should be replaced, as industry acceptable figures are more like 70-80% after 10 years. Being a bit of a battery engineer myself (I designed a bunch of them for military applications), this is what I've been asking my own dealer for, but never knew what they called it. Will go after that now, that I see your screenshot! Though I think you are in worse state than I am- I can still get 5+bars assist for a bit after recall to full- will have to time that.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:22 AM
Active Enthusiast

Igor: thanks for the summary. Bottom line I have 1/5 of what I should have. Now to get Honda Canada to do the ethical thing (while still under warranty). I'm glad to hear my picture will help you get the info you need from your dealer.

Thanks

Cheers

Mike

PS: was just at NAIAS this morning. Hyundai just announced that any hybrid battery in any of their new cars will have a life-time warranty. Does not matter how many miles or age of the car..........

Old 01-14-2012, 06:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well, I "technically" too have a 10years 150k miles warranty on IMA bits. It's getting it honored where the problem is. So Hyundai can promise anything they want, I just hope they back it with actions better than Honda.
All we get is "operating as designed"...

Old 01-16-2012, 02:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

Just got an e-mail from my dealer:

I just spoke with Tech line this morning and they are in the process of getting you a battery. The batteries take about a week to come in so we can plan on installing it next week sometime. I will probably need your car for at least the day as the set up after the battery is installed can take a little while. Tech line would also like some snap shots with the new battery installed. I will let you know when the battery shows up and we can book you a loaner car for the time we have yours.
This dealer is Cobourg Honda in Cobourg, Ontario.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:36 PM
Active Enthusiast

Awesome news! Let us know how things behave after the swap

Quick Reply: My first 'no electrical assist and near miss' adventure

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands