HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

My heated seats saga.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 06:57 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: My heated seats saga.

I recently installed heated seats in our Honda Element. You can read about it here: http://www.elementownersclub.com/for...ad.php?t=25248

My wife loves them so much, I'm thinking about putting them in her car, our 05 HCH.

Has anyone actually done this themselves? If so, any other things to watch out for? I'm leary of the side airbags.

Mike

Old 09-26-2006, 10:12 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I dropped the car off this morning. I will be biting my nails 'til 5:30.

I will update tonight.

Old 09-27-2006, 08:52 AM

Isn't there always good and bad news?

Well my heated seats were installed and appear to work -- it's just not cold enough yet to appreciate them. The switches have Hi/Low/Off and are located on the front of the panel where the seat adjusters are.

Despite the best efforts of the installer, I do have an airbag light (SRS) activated. He called a local Honda dealership that uses his services often and they offered to reset the light for me for $43.

The dealership where I bought the car was less forgiving and wanted to charge $92 to reset.

At any rate, the installer and SA seemed to think this wasn't a big deal and I have an app't tomorrow morning to get it reset.

BTW, the install was $475 total. Currently, I do not feel I will ask the install shop to refund the amount of resetting the light. I know I take some risk in this aftermarket install and I can't blame the shop for the ever more complicated sensors on the car.

The installer did tell me he was a last generation honda owner and DID remove the seats, but did NOT disconnect the airbags. So, he did try not to set off the sensors.

Anyway, I will obviously update tomorrow on the latest in this mini-saga (how did I know this wouldn't be easy?).

Old 09-27-2006, 12:41 PM

Despite the best efforts of the installer, I do have an airbag light (SRS) activated. He called a local Honda dealership that uses his services often and they offered to reset the light for me for $43.
Umm. If their best effort doesn't include removing power when installing electrical stuff you might consider a new installer.

If it is similar to the previous gen civic you can do it your self with a paper clip. Also, ask the installers why they didn't disconnect the 12v battery when they were playing with your power wires. I think the installer should cover this charge. It was their mistake that caused the light to go on.

I would definately make the installer pay for this. Because the car went into their shop with out the srs light on and left with it on. If they dented your car or did some other stuff that you had to pay for would you just blow it off?

Don't let them fool you by saying there isn't anything they could have done. Disconnecting power before working on a car is #1 priority.

Sorry. Had to rant because it gets me upset when people have to pay for someone elses mistake. Especialy if it was caused by their neglect.

Last edited by tbaleno; 09-27-2006 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:48 PM

I don't know why your assuming they didn't disconnect the battery. I never said that. They didn't disconnect the airbags.

Also, the installer drives a previous generation Civic and said what he did would have not set off the sensor on his car. This is the first '06 he's worked on. What could he have done to avoid the sensor?

Old 09-27-2006, 02:00 PM

I made the assumption because the SRS light always goes on when someone removes the seats without disconnecting the battery. I also made the assumption that he had to remove the seats to do the work on them. Maybe I'm making a bad assumption. It just seems to be the most obvious answer.

Old 09-28-2006, 08:26 AM

Light is reset and all seems fine.

It's still not heated seats weather yet, but I will update with reviews as they become useful.

Old 09-28-2006, 10:41 AM

Update.

The SA at the dealership noticed a "conduit" wasn't completely plugged in & called the install shop to tell them. The install shop called me and will be sending me a $43 check. Schweet.

Anyway, I am thrilled it all worked out.

Old 10-30-2006, 02:22 PM

Just a quick update, as I am using them more and more.

They are pretty great. I am definitely addicted. I have just been keeping mine on low almost all the time. High is HOT. Saving that for winter.

I do wish the buttons were visible. They are on the lower seat trim. I have to check every so often to make sure the passenger seats' heat is off.

I do wish the heating element expended further down my legs. It heats the bum fine though -- and that's most important.

When I first was researching getting these installed I was told to not have the bottom of the passenger seat heated as it would mess with the airbag sensors. My installer said no prob, he'd trim the heating element around the sensors. Great!

Well, there is one sensor that makes sure you are heavy enough for the front airbag and there is one sensor that makes sure you aren't leaning against the door -- as it will not inflate the side airbag.

Well, my wife now tells me this pretty much means her left cheek is heated while her right must freeze!

Weird!

Anyway, thought I should share with an update. Of course, I still recommend them.

P.S. I don't think I am taking any real FE hit. I have been taking a co-worker to work and with the colder weather I am only avging 40 mpg. Previously, I've been avging 41-42.