HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

New HCHII owner, several questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 04:59 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: New HCHII owner, several questions

I will say it still seems to take a lot of effort for me to get 44MPG, I coast a ton, use cruise whenever possible, and don’t floor it up hills or to get up to speed. Not sure how my wife will do with the car when she drives it as she doesn’t try to keep the MPGs up. We’ll see if she can relearn driving styles...not holding my breath lol!

i plan on quarterly charging/discharging. I did a charge again about a week ago as I had it parked for a full week while I detailed the car for the winter. Thanks for the tip on the recalls, I’ve been watching for them but happy to report it hasn’t happened since it was done about 2 months ago.

the only thing I really have on my “to do” list is the spark plugs and new front brakes. Otherwise not sure if anything else can really help the MPGs. I found out going through old records that the trans was flushed by the dealer at 80k, still going to just plan on doing it along with my oil changes since it’s so easy and I want it to stay as clean as possible.

edit: also trying to figure out making a lower radiator block for winter...might try and draw one up and 3d print it

Last edited by BlueZ; 11-19-2017 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:25 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New HCHII owner, several questions

Count on 38-42 with your wife...

You can over do the discharging. Basically, discharging is only done the first time you recondition and when grid-charging-only no longer gives acceptable results; hence charge every 90 days, discharge once per year.

Replace only with Denso/NGK OEM equivalents They're not cheap, and there are 8 of them, but they will go 120K miles.