HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Oil Change Price Increase

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 10:34 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Oil Change Price Increase

You don't have to "get under" the car, just use your arm to reach the filter, and that is not far.

I just changed my oil, but perhaps I will reenact the procedure with pictures to demonstrate.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:40 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by holicow

You don't have to "get under" the car, just use your arm to reach the filter, and that is not far.

I just changed my oil, but perhaps I will reenact the procedure with pictures to demonstrate.
Just curious as I was just reading about oil extractors. How can you be sure you are getting all the oil? Most of the ones I have seen were actually made for smaller motors not cars, which one are you using?

Old 06-18-2008, 11:59 AM
Active Enthusiast

Please... I would like to see the way you change your oil but wait until you actually need to. thanks!

Paul

Old 06-18-2008, 01:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HemiSync
Just curious as I was just reading about oil extractors. How can you be sure you are getting all the oil? Most of the ones I have seen were actually made for smaller motors not cars, which one are you using?
There are many models. The tube goes to the bottom of the oil pan and remove at least as much as using the drain plug. If the front of your car is up on ramps and you use the drain plug, you may be draining less than you think.

There is no way to remove 100% of the oil. 99% is enough.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:20 PM
Active Enthusiast

There are many models. The tube goes to the bottom of the oil pan and remove at least as much as using the drain plug. If the front of your car is up on ramps and you use the drain plug, you may be draining less than you think.

Thanks for the all the info, I am ordering one now but some reviews say the tubes are not long enough for that persons car. Mityvac 7400 7.3 Liter Fluid Evacuator comes with these tubes:

0.23” OD (5.7 mm) x 5’ (1.5 m) long dipstick tube
0.26” OD (6.6 mm) x 5’ (1.5 m) long dipstick tube

I can't imagine 5 feet of tube not being enough. How long is the one you are using with your HCH?

Thanks again, this sounds so much cleaner & easier than pulling the plug. One person even commented that he sucks the oil out of the filter after removing it. Not to mention that it can be used for just about any fluid on the car.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:59 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HemiSync
Thanks for the all the info, I am ordering one now but some reviews say the tubes are not long enough for that persons car. Mityvac 7400 7.3 Liter Fluid Evacuator comes with these tubes:

0.23” OD (5.7 mm) x 5’ (1.5 m) long dipstick tube
0.26” OD (6.6 mm) x 5’ (1.5 m) long dipstick tube

I can't imagine 5 feet of tube not being enough. How long is the one you are using with your HCH?

Thanks again, this sounds so much cleaner & easier than pulling the plug. One person even commented that he sucks the oil out of the filter after removing it. Not to mention that it can be used for just about any fluid on the car.
Mine is a Pela brand extractor. The dipstick tube top to bottom of oil pan cannot be more than 18-24 inches, so you just need enough more to reach the extractor. The Mityvac is a good one, too. I don't know the actual diam. of the tubes with mine, but those sound close and should work.

I'll put up some pics soon due to the interest.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:54 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I've always heard to avaoid extractors because the little oil they leave at the bottom is the dirtiest where all the gunk and shavings collect.

Be careful.

nf

Old 06-19-2008, 04:40 PM
Tofu+hybrd= crazy fun!

I pay around 15 bucks when I bring in my own oil.

Although, I always bring in a OEM filter so they dont complain about it not being oem.

Old 06-19-2008, 05:27 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by noflash
I've always heard to avaoid extractors because the little oil they leave at the bottom is the dirtiest where all the gunk and shavings collect.

Be careful.
I had the same concern as you noflash, until holicow made that comment above. Unless you are dropping the pan there is no way to be sure you are getting any sludge that might be at the bottom. As for the shavings, I am now using a filter magnet on the side of my oil filter. It will grab any shavings that the filter doesn't catch, which would have to be less than 20 microns in most cases. Some people that do drop the pan throw one on the it away from the drain hole to trap them there and remove it when they drop the pan. Needs to be a good quality magnet, fridge mags won't do.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by noflash

Be careful.

nf
That is what the filter is for (trapping any "shavings or gunk"), which basically do not exist in our engines anyway. That's a common misconception about extractors.

I also enjoy never having to remove another drain plug. And for those of you who pay for your changes, having someone blast it back on with an impact wrench. (I'm not kidding, here, you should see some of the things the "oil change techs" do).