HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Problems today

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 12:38 PM
Enthusiast
Default Problems today

Last night I am driving home from work, all of a sudden the Engine light, IMA light and battery light go on. I lose all my power assist. Using the NAV system, I look up the closest Honda dealership, and call them as I continue to limp down the road. They ask me to bring the car in, in the morning.

When I start the car up this morning, only the engine warning light is on, no IMA warning and the IMA system appears to be working. I head for the Honda Dealershop (15 miles away).

After I get off the freeway, (I am now about 200 yards from the Honda dealership) all hell breaks loose. EVERY warning light goes on, I lose my navigation system (it goes black) and I have no power steering. Now I am truly limping into the Honda dealership.

I left the car running as I walked into the service center (NOT HAPPY) at this point. When the Tech came out he just sat there, then finally said "Hmmm Never seen anything like this before." Thankfully I hadn't shut it down, so they could see what I was seeing, and hook it up to their diag machines.

This afternoon they called me and said it looked like a Rotor Sensor problem. No clue what that is, or what it does. I should have my car back tomorrow afternoon. I am hoping this is not going to happen again.

Other then this problem, (which I hope isnt a big deal) the car has been running great and I have had no complaints. I traded in my BMW 323i and have never looked back... I hope I don't after getting it back tomorrow.

BTW, I have 3900 miles on the car...

Last edited by UtahHCH2; 01-17-2007 at 12:40 PM. Reason: added mileage when problem occured
Old 01-17-2007, 12:48 PM
Eco Accelerometrist
Default Re: Problems today

There have been a few other reports similar to yours... It will be interesting to see if this issue actually trends to a production batch... early indications is that it may. Perhaps at some point we should look at the VINs for some pointers that is, if Honda does not beat us to it with a targetted service recall.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 01-17-2007, 03:57 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Talking about VINS, how can I tell what mth. my HCH-2 was built? Thanks

Old 01-17-2007, 06:10 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I don't see where our VIN details the month of manufacture. This is my VIN and I bought it the first week in August 2006 and it was built in 6/2006. You can look on the driver's door jamb for the manufacturing sticker though. Hope this helps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_VIN_codes

J H M FA362 1 6 S 025664

Description
.....Position.....Raw Data.....Decoded Data
Region.............1
............J............Asia
Country
...........1-2...........JH...........Japan
Manufacturer
......2-3...........HM...........Honda
Model Specific
....4-8..........FA362.........Unknown
Check Digit
........9............1............Valid
Year
Assembly Plant
....11............S............Suzuka, Japan
Serial Number
s...12-17........025664.........25664

Old 01-17-2007, 08:13 PM

Many vehicles have the production date stamped on a sticker or plate on the car... often on the door jamb sticker (the one with tire pressure information on it). I'm not sure if this is true on the HCHII, but it's worth checking.

Old 01-17-2007, 08:34 PM

Thanks fellows, mine was born in May, 06. Thanks again.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:13 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by UtahHCH2
Last night I am driving home from work, all of a sudden the Engine light, IMA light and battery light go on. I lose all my power assist. ..
This afternoon they called me and said it looked like a Rotor Sensor problem. No clue what that is, or what it does. I should have my car back tomorrow afternoon. I am hoping this is not going to happen again. ...
I had something similar with my first HCHII. I hope they are quickly able to resolve your problem. It took Honda over a month to say they fixed it, but it never drove the same after that. They replaced the controllers, rotor sensor and put over 1000 miles on it. It never drove the same after that. Here is the thread with my issue.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/s...?t=5556&page=6

I see that someone else had a problem with their HCHII too.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/s...ad.php?t=11744

Good luck with yours.

Old 01-17-2007, 10:05 PM

Harold - what is your Serial #? Mine is 25,664 and born in June '06 so if yours is close then it was late May '06. I know that all new Civic Hybrids are from Japan and maybe all from the Suzuka plant but the VIN tells the secret. Unless there is a defect found from a specific plant or specific week in the month then just the month of mfg should be good enough for most of us. I'm at 23k so far with no issues at all like others have reported.

Old 01-18-2007, 09:22 AM

Flash my ser. # is, S801598, Purchaced in Victoria, B.C. Canada.

Old 01-18-2007, 11:15 AM

Harold - are you sure? I don't think there have been 80,000 Hybrids built/sold yet so check that number again. Yours should potentially be a lower number than mine or at least one much closer. Then again, maybe the Canadian cars have a different sticker or come direct from Japan instead of to San Diego then Chicago then to you (I think that is the route mine took).

Quick Reply: Problems today

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands