HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Remains of my beloved 2007 HCH

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 09:08 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Remains of my beloved 2007 HCH

This morning I was cruising along minding my own business when a daft fellow ran a red light and caused a collision with my baby (and I just washed her ). He was found at fault. Luckily, no one involved was injured. Only my beloved HCHII (w/Nav), and a laptop. The collision was at about 25 miles per hour, and both front airbags deployed. The car is very safe, I actually suffered no injury at all.

Hopefully Progressive will buy me a new 2008 HCH with Nav. What do you think my chances of that are??

So, for now I am rolling around town in a not-so-cool Kia Optima rental. Anyways, I thought you all might be interested in some of the pictures.

His car...

Last edited by pagemap; 03-13-2008 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:15 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Remains of my beloved 2007 HCH

Are you okay? That makes me so sad to look at!

Old 03-13-2008, 09:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

I'm ok, and luckily no one was hurt. The crash happened at a busy intersection where there are generally a lot of people walking around and using crosswalks, this situation could have ended up much worse. I'll have a new car again soon, but I would have felt really bad if someone had been seriously hurt.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:01 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

So sad to hear about this, but you picked the right car to be in for this crash. The 8th gen chassis is incredibly strong, and it showed it in the pictures.

Hope you can get a new one soon.

Old 03-14-2008, 03:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

I hope you get the car replaced as well, you deserve it.

Some fella rear ended my 02 prius last sept. Really smashed the rear up good, busted the rear window out etc etc. It looked like a sure total loss.

I tried and tried to get them to total it BUT they wouldnt.

Collision occurred on 9/28 got the car back on 12/27 at the cost of over 10k$ in repairs.

The repair shop did an outstanding job and worked with Toyota at various stages to make sure all was okay with the hybrid portion.

While it was perfect in every respect, I chose to sell it.

I hope yours is replaced for you.

Best of luck

Tony

Old 03-14-2008, 04:40 AM
Slacker

Our '05 civic LX was totaled (the guy behind me lost his brakes coming up to a red light) in Dec '06. We had 11k miles on the car. We got about $2k more than we paid for it from the insurance company (just for the car, not the other p&s, lost wages, medical, etc). So, you'll probably be fine, although it's still a pain to have to deal with.

Actually, my biggest concern was that they wouldn't total the car for some reason.

Glad to hear no one was hurt.

Last edited by Mathemagician; 03-14-2008 at 04:44 AM.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:59 AM
Active Enthusiast

"Hopefully Progressive will buy me a new 2008 HCH with Nav. What do you think my chances of that are??"

Somewhere between slim and none. Insurance companies HATE to buy new cars for customers, as another post testified. Generally, they require the repairs to cost more than 80% of the car's value in order to total the vehicle.

If your used HCH was worth $17,000 before the accident, it would take $14,000 worth of damage to order a replacement. The body damage in the photos will probably cost $3,000 - $4,000. Any engine damage would add to that, but not enough to get you a new 2008.

So count on getting back your old HCH with new parts. Just be sure to test drive the car after the repairs to make sure everything is correct. And even if you find something wrong a few weeks later, you can return to the shop and ask for a "supplement" repair. They may have another term for it, but they'll know what it is.

Good Luck!

Old 03-14-2008, 06:27 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1stpik
"Hopefully Progressive will buy me a new 2008 HCH with Nav. What do you think my chances of that are??"

Somewhere between slim and none. Insurance companies HATE to buy new cars for customers, as another post testified. Generally, they require the repairs to cost more than 80% of the car's value in order to total the vehicle.

If your used HCH was worth $17,000 before the accident, it would take $14,000 worth of damage to order a replacement. The body damage in the photos will probably cost $3,000 - $4,000. Any engine damage would add to that, but not enough to get you a new 2008.

So count on getting back your old HCH with new parts. Just be sure to test drive the car after the repairs to make sure everything is correct. And even if you find something wrong a few weeks later, you can return to the shop and ask for a "supplement" repair. They may have another term for it, but they'll know what it is.

Good Luck!
Honestly, I wouldn't mind just getting my car back, but my main worry is that they won't be able to repair it to the original condition. I don't want to hear any shakes, rattles, etc because there weren't any before this crash. But, I'm not an expert on auto body repair, so maybe my car can be repaired.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:03 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

On the + side, you t-boned hom rather than him t-boning you. Even with side airbags/curtains, you could still have had injuries. THe photos imply you him him dead-on as well, so hopefully less structural bending?

Old 03-14-2008, 07:28 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Any info yet regarding if they are going to replace your car or not?

Quick Reply: Remains of my beloved 2007 HCH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands