HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Single green bar, steady state drive, only under 14C

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 06:00 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Single green bar, steady state drive, only under 14C

I think you guys are talking about stuff that is well known. You can find the information and tables in this link.
I think msantos is a canadian and he seems to love the car in the winter. I guess you got to know abit about it to really know whuts normal and whats not.

Great article. Many thanks....

Now that I think about, MSantos did tell me that to try and get the IMA to warm up faster on very cold mornings, to tap on the gas pedal when you're below 25 mph, to get a single bar of regen. I've been able to do it a couple of times, but if you're getting it 'automatically', that's great.

That even makes me feel better!!!!!!

I tried all his tips with pipe wrap in the grill and stuff but the civic is still very cold to drive and the windows fog up so you have to scrape them on the inside.

Below are some shots of my insulation setup. Also, some mileage shots from this morning (drove my wife to work......temp was 2C....)

Cheers

Mike

Attached Thumbnails Single green bar, steady state drive, only under 14C-img_9416.jpg   Single green bar, steady state drive, only under 14C-img_9417.jpg   Single green bar, steady state drive, only under 14C-img_9418.jpg   Single green bar, steady state drive, only under 14C-img_9415.jpg   Single green bar, steady state drive, only under 14C-img_9412.jpg  

Old 11-10-2009, 08:14 AM
Active Enthusiast
Question Re: Single green bar, steady state drive, only under 14C

I think you guys are talking about stuff that is well known. You can find the information and tables in this link.
I think msantos is a canadian and he seems to love the car in the winter. I guess you got to know abit about it to really know whuts normal and whats not.

From the above stated link, I have extracted the following paragraph...

"From the point of view of an HCH-2 owner, the fourth stage (S4) is the ideal stage to be in. In this stage we can evoke a soft glide at will, we have good regenerative affinity and the EV glide and Mid 3's mode will be at their most ideal levels. In the winter months particularly during the colder days you may find it difficult to see this stage in short drives unless you use a block heater and block the front grille. On the coldest days you will be lucky if the system allows for stage S3, which includes AutoStop, and using the FAS technique will be the only way to truly prevent the ICE from idling."

What do the following terms mean (as per the above paragraph):
1. "Soft glide at will";
2. "EV glide";
3. "Mid 3's mode will be at their ideal level"; and
4. "FAS technique".

Thanks

Cheers

Mike

Old 11-10-2009, 09:22 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by navguy12
What do the following terms mean (as per the above paragraph):
1. "Soft glide at will";
2. "EV glide";
3. "Mid 3's mode will be at their ideal level"; and
4. "FAS technique".

Thanks

Cheers

Mike
I'm not sure exactly what MSantos means by soft glide, but I'm guessing it is maxing our your iFCD at 0L/100KM to close your valves and then pressing the gas until all regen bars go away. You can probably find more info on cleanmpg.com

EV Glide is similar to above except you are pressing the gas far enough to the point where you are using 1-5 bars of assist.

3 (no idea)

FAS technique = forced auto stop (twisting your key). This is useful at stop lights when it's too cold for your engine to auto stop. Personally, I think that even though Honda is a little conservative with the auto stop, if the car doesn't do it automatically, I'm not going to force it. However, there are obviously differing thoughts in the hypermiling community.

Back to the original thread, today it was below freezing and I noticed the behavior you noted orginally to be more prolific in my car. Even with the valves open, I was getting 1 bar of regen almost constantly (it usually seems to go away if the gas is flowing).

Old 11-10-2009, 12:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

I think I read somewhere that the mid 3 was about putting the gas engine in the 3+ liters per 100 km at steady low speed. I think it maps to what I get [70 to 80 MPG] when cruising at 35 MPH. the engine got to be warm for this to happen.

ks

Old 11-10-2009, 05:03 PM
Active Enthusiast

I'm not sure exactly what MSantos means by soft glide, but I'm guessing it is maxing our your iFCD at 0L/100KM to close your valves and then pressing the gas until all regen bars go away. You can probably find more info on cleanmpg.com

EV Glide is similar to above except you are pressing the gas far enough to the point where you are using 1-5 bars of assist.

3 (no idea)

FAS technique = forced auto stop (twisting your key). This is useful at stop lights when it's too cold for your engine to auto stop. Personally, I think that even though Honda is a little conservative with the auto stop, if the car doesn't do it automatically, I'm not going to force it. However, there are obviously differing thoughts in the hypermiling community.
OK, this all make sense to me. Stuff I have been doing all along...

Back to the original thread, today it was below freezing and I noticed the behavior you noted orginally to be more prolific in my car. Even with the valves open, I was getting 1 bar of regen almost constantly (it usually seems to go away if the gas is flowing).
Yep. And wrapping the front end from cold air flow will minimize it, but any "chill" sensed by the engine will cause this to happen.

I think I read somewhere that the mid 3 was about putting the gas engine in the 3+ liters per 100 km at steady low speed. I think it maps to what I get [70 to 80 MPG] when cruising at 35 MPH. the engine got to be warm for this to happen.
That sounds about what I can do at about 60 kph (near 35 mph).

Thanks all very much for the info.

Cheers

Mike