HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Tire Pressure Monitoring System - Direct Type

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 03:55 PM
Eco Accelerometrist
Default Re: Tire Pressure Monitoring System - Direct Type

I agree Jason. The grey color is not that attractive. I actually thought of spray painting it since the outer shell comes off easily enough...

Anyhow, yes about the valve stem mounted ones... I did indeed investigate those. I found them lacking in accuracy because the precision seemed to have too much tolerance to be more than just a warning tool. Many of the ones I looked at did not report temperature nor did they allow for custom settings either.
For instance, my Prius is equipped with TPMS from the factory, but I cannot adjust the settings to a tire pressure I choose. I am literally forced to accept whatever the TPMS system tells me is OK. If my wish is to run the tires at no less than 40psi then that TPMS has reduced value for me. That is why I am thinking of removing the valve stem sensors off my Prius and slap this type of system in. To me, it is far cheaper more flexible, and definitely more useful in my porsuit of better fuel economy.

Also as you said, then there's the safety of the sensor itself particularly if it is "hanging out" possibly waiting to be stolen. Somehow, I have not yet warmed up to the idea of such systems - however I am open to "learning opportunities" should anyone decide to actually experiment with them.

Cheers;

MSantos

Last edited by msantos; 04-02-2007 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:27 PM
Enthusiast

That thing is cool, but man is it ugly. I might consider a similar system if it came with a smaller, less conspicuous control unit. I don't see why it has to be so bulky.

--Rick

Old 04-03-2007, 05:53 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Part of the reason it is so big is because it has alot more front buttons than most of its competing systems. At first, I could not believe how come it was so big, but then I looked at the interface features and then I realized that a much smaller display with fewer buttons would not achieve the effectiveness of this unit.

In total, this thing has 12 usable buttons.

There is room for improvement though. I removed the outer shell and the PCB plus its discrete components... could in fact, use a smaller package. But for the cost of much less than $100, this is one heck of a system (even if bulky and b*tt ugly)

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 04-03-2007, 06:55 PM
Enthusiast

Slightly off-topic:

What is the USB hub for?

Old 04-03-2007, 09:30 PM
F**k ExxonMobil

i moved mine today. i think i like it better here:

Old 07-04-2008, 01:09 AM
Banned

I bought one Orange TPMS from US Auto Parts. I check many brand TPMS, most of the internal units are more than $200. This one is only $170. it's universal for all passenger car models. I think it's worthy and cheap for me.

Orange TPMS is easy to install. Only need to install sensors and plug in the cigar jet. Then the little kit works. Display is 3.5" x 2" x 0.75", very small. This one need no extra cable. Very easy and useful.

Moreover, Orange unit tested in many racing car (Formula Renault, Honda Le-Manz 24 hrs) I like speed so much, I was wondering if the speed goes too high and it doesn't work. It seems speed not a problem for it.

Continental Tire mentioned TPMS can reduce fuel consumption. It’s a great info for me. I saw the crude gasoline has been $140 today. I need to drive 2 hrs per day. Saving fuel consumption is also a good news for me.

Also, I heard that flat tire is the biggest reason of non-human factor accident. Watching my tire is another reason I need TPMS.

Some pictures when I open the box everybody can see.

Old 07-04-2008, 04:15 PM
Hybrid Evangelist
Default TPMS OEM vs Aftermarket

I asked in another thread about this, thought maybe it might be more appropriate here.

Has anybody dealt with an aftermarket TPMS on an '08 HCHII? Obviously the OEM system won't pick up the data from the aftermarket sensors. Is there any way to disable the OEM TPMS so I don't have to stare at a warning light all the time?

Old 07-04-2008, 06:10 PM
F**k ExxonMobil

just leave oem tpms in place. attach aftermarket tpms sensors to wheels via band clamps.

Old 07-05-2008, 04:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

Here's a pic of my TPMS:

Old 07-05-2008, 04:52 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Tire pressure gauge does NOT equal Tire Pressure Monitoring System.

The first is used to check your pressure while stopped. The second is used to monitor your pressure as you're driving, when the possibility of picking up a nail and slowly start loosing pressure could be very detrimental to directional control when you least suspect it.

Driving around these hot AZ roads, I've had two blowouts that would have been prevented had I had a TPMS. Luckily, both blowouts were on rear tires. Had they been a front tire, I may have ended up like many Ford Explorers, upside down and off the road.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Monitoring System - Direct Type

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands