HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Too cold to Auto Stop, but love the heater

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 06:15 PM
For my daughter
Default Re: Too cold to Auto Stop, but love the heater

Originally Posted by msantos
All Canadian HCH's come with block heaters installed (at least in the colder provinces).
Was not true for me and Quebec is not the "less colder" province. Anyways, I have made on installed at the first oil change last August.

I use a timer that controls the power to the plugs in a cycle that is convenient to me. In the colder winter months I need 5-6 hours of heat time before driving off. In the summer I only need 2-3 hours.
Thank you for the info. I have been doing tests since the install. I agree, 2 hours is not enough with the current 5c/40f we have during the night this week. I have added one hour for tonight.

With nights at 15c/60f, plugged all the night (a test) I got 3 pips on engin temp. before to start.

Pierre M.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:28 PM
For my daughter

How else would I be able to arrive to the office with 3.6 l/100km after a 12km city commute?
A real hypermiler !! This said, on the CO2 point of vue, I am wondering if it is relevant. Here in Quebec where the electricity is generated by dams and water, I don't feel too guilty. But if the electricity comes from coal burning, it's less obvious. (This is not a judgment of what you do. Actually, where come from your electicity in Manitoba ? ).

Pierre M.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:37 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Well Pierre, winter is definitely coming and cold weather is a relative term for many of us.

In Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Northwest Territories it is considered "suicidal" to NOT have a block heater in a car. With temps getting as low as -40C (-40F) and sometimes even less (-53c last winter), a block heater is definitely more than an optional and temporary luxury. it is a fact of life for people and equipment.

Manitoba Hydro derives its power from hydro-electric dams in central and northern Manitoba. A great deal of the electricity produced is actually exported to Ontario and the US, so as an exporting province we have very low Kw rates and it makes perfect financial and ecological sense to make strategic use of a block heater all year round.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 09-20-2007, 08:50 AM
Active Enthusiast

I actually ran some numbers for NJ, and I don't think it'll make much sense for me to get one (keep in mind the mpg differences are hypothetical, since I haven't driven in a winter yet).

Using numbers as of my August electric bill, it would cost 14 cents to run a 400 watt block heater for 2 hours. If in the dead of winter I get 45 mpg without it compared to 55 mpg with it, I’d save 20 cents with gas at $2.50 and my 20 mile commute. 24 cents at $3.00/gallon.

Basically a net savings of 6 to 10 cents per commute (and I'd really only use the block heater before commutes). It would take a lot of them to make it back!

Old 09-20-2007, 10:42 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Yes, depending on where you live, a block heater may not offer the full complement of benefits at all. You do well in making such estimates.

Just to recap the benefits for folks who need/want a block heater:

1- Lowered mechanical wear of the engine and heightened reliability, particularly at startup.
2- Lowered pollution since the engine and emissions system will be at optimal temp much sooner.
3- Lowered fuel consumption since the engine is likely to exit closed loop operation sooner.
4- Potentially lower long term operating costs due to (1) and maybe (2).
5- Potentially lower short term operating costs since for some folks (like myself) the cost of operating the BH strategically more than makes up for the costs in fuel.

Granted, I am not the best example. But just for giggles, feel free to click on my HCH2006 signature for a glimpse of my mileage (with block heater use) during my winters. Without a block heater the winter FE would likely sit in the low to mid 20's. No Joke.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 09-20-2007, 06:15 PM
For my daughter

... it is considered "suicidal" to NOT have a block heater in a car. ...
Yes, I Know the Manitoba winter,Mr. Santos. I agree we live in a country where bloc heater is a must, except maybe for Vancover aera. My comments was more for the summer or/and for the ones living in the south.

Pierre M.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:30 PM
Enthusiast

I'm from South Texas. What are these "winters" you all speak of?

Old 09-21-2007, 03:13 PM
For my daughter

Originally Posted by jjvera00
I'm from South Texas. What are these "winters" you all speak of?
Winters with -40f or -40c. Grrr.

PierreM

Old 09-21-2007, 07:30 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PapaMile
Winters with -40f or -40c. Grrr.

PierreM
Ah, Pierre. You silly sarky sonofagun.

Old 09-22-2007, 06:35 AM
For my daughter

Thank you dogarm.

I made also a calculation this morning:
Cost of electricity : 0.0408$/Kwh
.0408 * 400watts * 5 hours * 260 day per year = 25.46$/year.
5 hours 260 is too much, that will lower than that.

Saving of fuel :0.2liters/100km(estimate)
0.2*30000km per year/100*$1.10 = $66.00/year
0.2 is pestimistic, that will be higher than that.

Conclusion:
This is a good economical decision
This is a good environmental decision
I have taken at lease one good decision in August

PierreM

Last edited by PapaMile; 09-22-2007 at 06:43 AM.

Quick Reply: Too cold to Auto Stop, but love the heater

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands